BC97

K1 Expedite Request

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone have experience with expedite requests for K1’s? (Or any visa if there’s no difference!) My fiancée and I are going to make a request on grounds of financial hardship for the petitioner. 

Do we just send an email to the email address quoted on the NVC website, along with relevant supporting documentation as attachments, quoting our NVC case number?

The case is currently held up at NVC like all K1’s, and we are filing at the London embassy. I know that our chances of success are slim given what we have read, but any tips/pointers would be great, thanks.

Timeline

It's been my experience, and that of many others recently, that London Embassy will not consider expedite requests unless the case also qualifies for a National Interest Exemption (NIE).  Some NIE examples I am personally aware of involving couples who have been recently approved for interview expedites in the Schengen Area are: the beneficiary is a parent of a US Citizen (London actually inquired about  the biological relationship of my son and fiance during our request), the petitioner works in a COVID mission critical position (the petitioner was a nurse), and a petitioner in the military who had orders coming up. 

I hope this helps! I would still give it a try even if your situation doesn't meet any NIE criteria!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, BC97 said:

Does anyone have experience with expedite requests for K1’s? (Or any visa if there’s no difference!) My fiancée and I are going to make a request on grounds of financial hardship for the petitioner. 

Do we just send an email to the email address quoted on the NVC website, along with relevant supporting documentation as attachments, quoting our NVC case number?

The case is currently held up at NVC like all K1’s, and we are filing at the London embassy. I know that our chances of success are slim given what we have read, but any tips/pointers would be great, thanks.

Thanks! Glad I got a response so quick. Is it just as simple as what I said then - an email titled expedite request, along with the reason and evidence?

Edited by BC97

Timeline
2 minutes ago, BC97 said:

Thanks! Glad I got a response so quick. Is it just as simple as what I said then - an email titled expedite request, along with the reason and evidence?

There is a National Interest Consideration contact form on the UK Embassy Website that requests the information and evidence.  I'm having difficulty locating it though, and it looks as though they took down their IV Unit contact form: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv_contact_form

You could try emailing your request, in Iieu of finding that website contact form. When I emailed first, I received an automated response directing me to the website, however.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, BC97 said:

But also, I just realized you mentioned you're at the NVC still, and I'm speaking from experiences with the embassy already having our case and previous canceled interviews.

28 minutes ago, Ermehgerdd said:

the beneficiary is a parent of a US Citizen (London actually inquired about  the biological relationship of my son and fiance during our request)

Note that situation meets it's own exception, "any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21," and doesn't need a NIE "any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees"

33 minutes ago, Ermehgerdd said:

and a petitioner in the military who had orders coming up.

Has that reason actually worked? Because Frankfurt admitted to giving out false hope:

12655521-AC65-4AFF-99B5-8121D28BB84D.jpeg

They also removed "(3) to join an active military member petitioner in the U.S." from following page: https://de.usembassy.gov/covid19-faqs-for-visas/

Nothing guarantees once your fiancée gets here, your financial situation will get better (or worse? With all fees and stuffs) so I wouldn’t hope much. You can try.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, BC97 said:

Hi,

It does not hurt to request an expedite.  But be prepared to show how an expedited K1 can alleviate the financial hardship of the petitioner.  The K1 beneficiary cannot work in the US when they arrive, and will not be able to for about 6 months or so when he/she gets their EAD.

If the petitioner is maintaining 2 households (that is, paying for the fiance's housing and expenses), that may be a valid reason.  But if it's just to get the fiance to the US and start generating a 2nd income....that will be very difficult to prove.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Just curious how that works, with EADs for K-1 beneficiaries currently taking upwards of 8 months?  Having a non-working adult in the household is a financial burden, actually.

Even if I can prove I have a lot of savings we could use, and will no longer have things in the UK to pay for since we will be living together?

3 minutes ago, BC97 said:

Even if I can prove I have a lot of savings we could use, and will no longer have things in the UK to pay for since we will be living together?

No idea.  It's free to try though.

Not having things in the UK to pay for doesn't directly benefit a USC petitioner.

I think financial hardship expedite requests are generally more successful for spousal visa applicants, since they can work immediately, and don't have that large AOS fee.

Timeline
1 minute ago, gregcrs2 said:

If you have a lot of savings you can use, where is the financial hardship?

She isn’t working for 5 months, regardless of whether I’m there or not.

I shouldn’t have posted the reason cause I knew I’d get people criticising the situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, BC97 said:

She isn’t working for 5 months, regardless of whether I’m there or not.

I shouldn’t have posted the reason cause I knew I’d get people criticising the situation.

Not criticizing and certainly you can try to expedite.  But you are wanting an expedite based on financial hardship to the petitioner.  A financial hardship in my opinion, is when you are struggling to pay the bills each month. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
6 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Just curious how that works, with EADs for K-1 beneficiaries currently taking upwards of 8 months?  Having a non-working adult in the household is a financial burden, actually.

Our cousin is on 9 months and still waiting for her biometrics that was cancelled due to Covid so I’m going to throw out to people upwards of 12 months...

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.