kev and julia

Working Rule While on K1 Visa

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

I would make sure her money goes from her 'Business" goes into her home bank account.

It's a grey area with no right or wrong answer. 

Foreign income has to be declared. No matter where the back account is.

I think this is a grey area.

I think we'd all be able to look at some jobs and say that certainly wouldn't be acceptable on a k1 or tourist visa (eg mowing lawns for money, working in a restaurant, etc). Its definitely more difficult to say it wouldn't be acceptable when the job is one that you could do from anywhere without being physically located in the US. Its not like you're gaining any work by entering the US (compare with the case where you mow lawns, server in a restaurant etc).

If you were visiting on a tourist visa, you'd be fine to do some work online for customers/clients etc back home. You wouldn't be considered to be working in the USA as you weren't being paid by a US company. Many people do some work for their business back home when on vacation, even if its only taking a few phone calls or writing emails.

I (as many do) also visited the US well before I lived here for the purposes of business. I was working in the US for US clients for my company back home in the UK. I remained employed in the UK and was paid (and taxed) in the UK.Again, this is completely legal, and I stated the primary purpose of my trip as business when entering the country. I also continued to field calls and emails relating to other clients of my UK job while in the US.

In theory the same should apply when on a k1. You can't take up direct employment with a US employer (mowing lawns, working in a shop etc), but if it were treated the same way as a tourist visa you should be able to do work for your employer/business outside the US. Of course the k1 is a little different as there is the assumption that you've left your home country for good and so won't be returning to work there so its a little trickier to argue that you're still employed outside the US.

I think immigration law hasn't really caught up with how things work today - where many of us can work from anywhere with a laptop and an internet connection. I looked into this quite a bit and couldn't really find a definitive answer one way or the other.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had a similar question I posted in the AOS Work forum because my wife is a Freelance teacher, and there doesn't appear to be a clear cut answer. It's all in the eyes of whoever if judging the situation (Courts, USICS, etc). A link was provided to me (see below) which discusses two sides of the argument. One that it deals with taxation laws and earning income would need to be accounted for. Second argument was that if the contract was made to an individual while in their country and paid to them in their currency then it may be allowed and cited a court case. In normal situations if you were hired outside the country and living in the US they will still have to follow US Tax Laws. But again does this fall on a taxation law or an immigration law. 

https://www.nationofimmigrators.com/courts-on-immigration-law/immigration-lawyers-arguing-can-i-work-from-home-for-a-foreign-employer/#:~:text=There is one important carve,or Q nonimmigrant visa status.&text=F%2C J %26 Q nonimmigrants and,source income by doing so.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Subject to both not either or.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Listen97 said:

I had a similar question I posted in the AOS Work forum because my wife is a Freelance teacher, and there doesn't appear to be a clear cut answer. It's all in the eyes of whoever if judging the situation (Courts, USICS, etc). A link was provided to me (see below) which discusses two sides of the argument. One that it deals with taxation laws and earning income would need to be accounted for. Second argument was that if the contract was made to an individual while in their country and paid to them in their currency then it may be allowed and cited a court case. In normal situations if you were hired outside the country and living in the US they will still have to follow US Tax Laws. But again does this fall on a taxation law or an immigration law. 

https://www.nationofimmigrators.com/courts-on-immigration-law/immigration-lawyers-arguing-can-i-work-from-home-for-a-foreign-employer/#:~:text=There is one important carve,or Q nonimmigrant visa status.&text=F%2C J %26 Q nonimmigrants and,source income by doing so.

Reading through Listen97's link, it seems like there is no definite answer to my question because the Congress never defines what "employment" is.  So this question is really open for interpretation.

During AOS we apply for EAD because US employers need to check EAD.  With a foreign online business, EAD is not needed because who is going to check EAD?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

I would make sure her money goes from her 'Business" goes into her home bank account.

It's a grey area with no right or wrong answer. 

Legal is legal........illegal is illegal......where a person is caught or not.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

8 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

I would chance it in heartbeat

I have not heard people being questioned about working

Anyways who to say it right or wrong, nobody knows the answer.

“In a heartbeat”? Really? What is so attractive about the K-1 that you would have not even the slightest second thought about something that could jeopardize your case? 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

I am always surprised when this comes up as if working is an issue why K1 in the first place?

Well there might be some weird combination of circumstances where this could arise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Nobody can give you a correct answer. It has not been clearly defined as not being allowed, that is the main argument for the "yes you can" camp. The "no you can't" camp believes they are right because it has not been clearly defined as being allowed. The fact that you ask should in itself be enough for you to make a decision.

Personally I lean towards to "can" side of the argument, but decided to not change it. The extra income would have been nice, but not worth the risk and hassle if it would have ever been brought up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling as the topic is about working after entry on a K1.~~

Mod hat off

This topic comes up often and over the years that I have been on VJ, many members have done just that and it did come up in the interview. They always answered truthfully and seems was not an issue. I truly wish they would clear this up.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I am not a lawyer, but according to immigration law, "Immediate Relatives" (including spouses) are an exception to the rule that aliens will be denied Adjustment of Status for "unauthorized employment."  Said another way, "unauthorized employment," by itself, is not grounds for denying Adjustment of Status in the case of a spouse who came to the U.S. on a K-1.  Lying about working IS grounds for denying AOS (intentionally misrepresenting anything in the application process is grounds for denial).

You can read this law here: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title8-section1255&num=0&edition=prelim#0-0-0-274.  Definition of "Immediate Relatives" can be found here: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1151&num=0&edition=prelim

You can also read about this here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-b-chapter-8.

I haven't found the definition of "unauthorized employment" yet, so I don't know if remote work for foreign employer is even unauthorized.  I also do not know if plans to work in the U.S. before being authorized could affect you receiving the K-1 in the first place (e.g., could it be a problem in the K-1 interview if you admit you're planning to work?).  Finally, I do not know what happens if ICE shows up at your door while you're working without a Green Card or EAD (seems highly unlikely to happen).

Personally, I'm in the position where we've already been doing this.  My K-1 wife has continued her foreign employment working remotely.  We're about to submit our I-485 application for AOS.  The application asks for the applicant's work history and it also asks "have you EVER worked in the U.S. without authorization?"  We're disclosing that she's been working, but I'm trying to figure out how we should answer the latter question.  We'll answer truthfully in the interview if asked about it.

Edited by devonydan

Timeline

Tell the truth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.