emfish

When K1 interviews resume will it be a free for all or in order of NOA2 date?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I already had my interview at the embassy in Sweden in March. Medical was March 2nd, and interview was March 12th. I know I'll need to redo the medical if nothing changes VERY soon as it will expire (even with the one month extension) in about 4 weeks. But they would "only" ask me to redo the medical and perhaps send them any document that might have expired, right? I wouldn't have to fight to get a new interview appointment as well? 😇

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, stuckonyou said:

I wouldn't have to fight to get a new interview appointment as well? 

It is possible.....it is at the discretion of the consulate officer.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

It is possible.....it is at the discretion of the consulate officer.

But there's no general guidelines concerning this? Like if X amount of time has passed since the interview it needs to be redone? 😶

Timeline
1 minute ago, stuckonyou said:

But there's no general guidelines concerning this? Like if X amount of time has passed since the interview it needs to be redone? 😶

Interview?  No written guidance that I know about.Discretion of the consulate.....  Medical exam?  6 month expiration plus a 30 extension......

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, stuckonyou said:

I don’t know a thing about Sweden, but I have a decade of London experience and can’t think of anybody who ever had to interview twice, even if they were held up in AP security clearance for two years after interview or failed to have all their documents at the interview. So definitely not something outlined in law. With the K1 process, there is a lot of discretion allowed to the officer and each consulate can set up their process to suit local needs as long as it is not something prescribed in law. Hence you have some assigning appointments while others have adopted schedule your own.  Some have the applicant bringing their medical to the interview, while others are couriered or sent electronically by the clinic.  On the affidavit of support I-864 for spouses, a tax return is required by law and the petitioner must complete a form whether they earn enough or not. . For the I-134 and fiancés, the law only says the officer must be convinced the applicant will not become a public charge. So for example, London will approve without a tax return and has approved many with a sponsor other than the petitioner. Yes, no I-134 from the American fiancé. That is discretion that another embassy might be stricter on.  I can’t really see why Sweden would need to interview you again. They have already  collected your documents, photo, finger prints, and asked you questions. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I don’t know a thing about Sweden, but I have a decade of London experience and can’t think of anybody who ever had to interview twice, even if they were held up in AP security clearance for two years after interview or failed to have all their documents at the interview. So definitely not something outlined in law. With the K1 process, there is a lot of discretion allowed to the officer and each consulate can set up their process to suit local needs as long as it is not something prescribed in law. Hence you have some assigning appointments while others have adopted schedule your own.  Some have the applicant bringing their medical to the interview, while others are couriered or sent electronically by the clinic.  On the affidavit of support I-864 for spouses, a tax return is required by law and the petitioner must complete a form whether they earn enough or not. . For the I-134 and fiancés, the law only says the officer must be convinced the applicant will not become a public charge. So for example, London will approve without a tax return and has approved many with a sponsor other than the petitioner. Yes, no I-134 from the American fiancé. That is discretion that another embassy might be stricter on.  I can’t really see why Sweden would need to interview you again. They have already  collected your documents, photo, finger prints, and asked you questions. 

Thank you! 😇

I guess I just got a little worried because of a comment on YouTube. Before this I had only heard of needing to interview again after a long administrative process or something like that, but then today someone wrote that they had been expedited with the help of a lawyer and that the fiancé (from Poland) was scheduled for an interview even though he already had one before. I'm not sure why. If it's more common there perhaps or if it had something to do with the expedite or something. I just started overthinking a little after that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

In Australia, those who had their interviews cancelled in March are being re-scheduled. I haven't received any email yet, so I am making the assumption that they will try and clear those applicants before opening up to the rest of us. Which I think is fair, it would have been devastating having an interview cancelled back in March. 

16 hours ago, emrid364 said:

our own interview (UK for example)

Note that London is still subject to UK and Ireland proclamation, so should expect similar unfortunate info as what consulates in Schengen are stating:

K-1 in those countries are only being issued to the few K-1 applicants that meet one of the limited exemptions (e.g. parent of US citizen child, etc.).

16 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Hopefully you already know the next steps

Indefinite wait in the foreseeable future.

16 hours ago, remotercharm said:

I would like to think it would be in order as our interview

See above for countries subject to travel bans.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
7 hours ago, Hannah&Nick said:

So the embassy in Germany announced that they are gonna start with active duty military

Do you have a source to this? maybe a link?

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Hannah&Nick said:

Can you copy and paste the part that says they are going to start with active duty military?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks.

Never mind.  I saw your other post.

Edited by Lucky Cat

Looks like they are referring to: 

Q: I am engaged to a U.S. citizen (K).  Can I continue my visa application?

A: We are still prohibited from issuing K visas to persons physically present in Germany under Presidential Proclamation 9993, which has suspended routine travel from the Schengen Area to the United States due to COVID-19.  Under recent guidance, however, the following K-1 visa applicants may qualify for a national interest exception (NIE) if he or she is travelling

(1) as a public health or healthcare professional or researcher to alleviate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, or to continue ongoing research in an area with substantial public health benefit (e.g. cancer or disease research);

(2) to provide care for a U.S. citizen, to include alleviating the burden of care from a medical or other institution, or to prevent a U.S. citizen from becoming a public charge or ward of the state or the ward of a medical or other institution; or

(3) to join an active military member petitioner in the U.S.  If the K-1 visa applicant has a U.S. citizen child (unmarried, under the age of 21), he or she will also qualify to process his or her visa application. If you are eligible for an exception from Presidential Proclamation 9984, please contact us at FrankfurtVisaInquiries@state.gov. Your petition remains valid and can be re-validated at the time of your interview. We will make information available moving forward that informs all applicants of the category of visas that are processing.

Timeline
3 hours ago, JCB86 said:

(1) as a public health or healthcare professional or researcher to alleviate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, or to continue ongoing research in an area with substantial public health benefit (e.g. cancer or disease research);

I don't understand this part, though. K1's are not allowed to work until they get either EAD or Green Card, which takes time... 😶

I'm a nurse. I'm not working at the moment, though, and I don't have a licence to practice nursing in the US. But even IF I did... as a K1 I wouldn't be allowed to work until I receive either the EAD or Green Card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.