Thunderbolt

Interpreter for AOS interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Going for the AOS interview next week. In the letter from USCIS it says "If you do not speak English fluently, you should arrange to have an interpreter available by phone".

My wife speaks English, but after reading few stories here we are thinking about getting one. Can we arrange one before our interview with USCIS or we should have our own?

They only say that they can provide one for Sign Language Interpreter. Nothing about other languages.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You can be your spouse's interpreter and avoid paying $$ for an interpreter while you can do the job. Don't you guys understand/ talk to each other?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Timona said:

You can be your spouse's interpreter and avoid paying $$ for an interpreter while you can do the job. Don't you guys understand/ talk to each other?

We are communicate in English. However, USCIS says that if you do not speak 'fluent' English. I had no idea that I can be the interpreter. If that's the case, then yes, I would definitely like to do it.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

We are communicate in English. However, USCIS says that if you do not speak 'fluent' English. I had no idea that I can be the interpreter. If that's the case, then yes, I would definitely like to do it.

Go for it. Be the interpreter and save $$$

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, Timona said:

Usually they don't allow the spouse to be the translator simply because it's hard to detect marriage fraud if one spouse speaks for the two of them. 

Timeline

That's the thing, I wont be the 'translator' as I don't speak Thai, but if possible I would like to be interpreter :)

I would like to be interpreter between CIS employee and my wife, not my wife --> CIS employee. She can answer in English no problem, but I worry that she won't understand the question correctly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

That's the thing, I wont be the 'translator' as I don't speak Thai, but if possible I would like to be interpreter :)

I would like to be interpreter between CIS employee and my wife, not my wife --> CIS employee. She can answer in English no problem, but I worry that she won't understand the question correctly.

Ah ok gotcha. Might still be tricky if you get a super strict IO. Maybe have a friend as a telephone joker on hand for that time that you could call if they absolutely want somebody else to do that.

I don't remember who it was but I remember a VJ member who got sent home bc the IO decided that his wife wouldn't understand/ speak English good enough and stopped the interview. They had to wait months for a new appointment. 

@Loren Y wasn't that you?

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Ah ok gotcha. Might still be tricky if you get a super strict IO. Maybe have a friend as a telephone joker on hand for that time that you could call if they absolutely want somebody else to do that.

I don't remember who it was but I remember a VJ member who got sent home bc the IO decided that his wife wouldn't understand/ speak English good enough and stopped the interview. They had to wait months for a new appointment. 

@Loren Y wasn't that you?

Correct, they couldn't get their phone translator on the phone, an even though I'm sure my wife could have made it thru the interview, the IO didn't want to risk it. IO just didn't want to do anymore work that day I think honestly. When we went back for the rescheduled interview, with a live interpreter on hand, we had the interview with the supervisor that day, and even he agreed the interpreter probably wasn't needed, and he hinted at the fact he was doing all these interviews because the first IO was no longer employed by USCIS anymore. He didn't come out and directly say it, but I think the first IO ended up being fired from her job. I don't doubt it the way her attitude was from the start. Had absolutely no issues with the second interview, and had green card in hand a week later.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

22 hours ago, Timona said:

This is incorrect, they won’t even let you talk when they ask your spouse, they sometime separate the couple.

OP: any friend can be your interpreter, no close relative though. If the interpreter is not with you at the interview, they will reschedule it. At this pandemic, I don’t know if they would allow more people inside the room.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

During my wife's and daughter's interviews in 2018, I was able to rephrase questions in English to help my wife understand.  My wife interpreted for her daughter who was 8 years old at the time.  Prepare yourself by reviewing the list of "yes / no" questions on the application.  At my wife's interview, he rephrased some questions so the answer would be opposite of what was on the form.  Be prepared to talk about your married life and you will be fine.

Good Luck - Jason

Timeline
10 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Correct, they couldn't get their phone translator on the phone, an even though I'm sure my wife could have made it thru the interview, the IO didn't want to risk it. IO just didn't want to do anymore work that day I think honestly. When we went back for the rescheduled interview, with a live interpreter on hand, we had the interview with the supervisor that day, and even he agreed the interpreter probably wasn't needed, and he hinted at the fact he was doing all these interviews because the first IO was no longer employed by USCIS anymore. He didn't come out and directly say it, but I think the first IO ended up being fired from her job. I don't doubt it the way her attitude was from the start. Had absolutely no issues with the second interview, and had green card in hand a week later.

I remember your story, that's why I'm little nervous. My wife had her interview, got the job and was working there with customers. I think her English is good enough, but I don't want to take any chances.

27 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

This is incorrect, they won’t even let you talk when they ask your spouse, they sometime separate the couple.

OP: any friend can be your interpreter, no close relative though. If the interpreter is not with you at the interview, they will reschedule it. At this pandemic, I don’t know if they would allow more people inside the room.

On the interview letter it says to arrange interpreter available over the phone.

12 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

During my wife's and daughter's interviews in 2018, I was able to rephrase questions in English to help my wife understand.  My wife interpreted for her daughter who was 8 years old at the time.  Prepare yourself by reviewing the list of "yes / no" questions on the application.  At my wife's interview, he rephrased some questions so the answer would be opposite of what was on the form.  Be prepared to talk about your married life and you will be fine.

Good Luck - Jason

That's all I would need, just to rephrase the questions if she would be confused by them.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Timeline
3 hours ago, NancyNguyen said:

Times may have changed, it seems. My MIL was the interpreter for my FIL. This was 2017 September.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
On 9/1/2020 at 9:16 AM, Thunderbolt said:

Going for the AOS interview next week. In the letter from USCIS it says "If you do not speak English fluently, you should arrange to have an interpreter available by phone".

My wife speaks English, but after reading few stories here we are thinking about getting one. Can we arrange one before our interview with USCIS or we should have our own?

They only say that they can provide one for Sign Language Interpreter. Nothing about other languages.

Thanks

How did the interview go? Did you end up bringing a phone interpreter? We are in a similar situation (Interview in October, we are at the ROC phase, not AOS, and my husband does speak English in his daily life, but this is just way too important of an interview to risk him misunderstanding a question). If you did end up using a phone interpreter, did you choose a friend or a professional? What was the process like of how you got them on the phone once you were there? Thanks so much!

K1

Spoiler

12/18/2015- NOA 1

1/29/2016- NOA 2

2/18/2016- Letter from NVC saying they're forwarding to Guangzhou

3/4/2016- Received P3, returned it about a week later

3/22/2016- P4 email

5/12/16- Interview. Approved!

5/16/16- After a few days saying administrative processing, CEAC now says issued!

Additional snafu: my fiancé came over on his visa, but just a month later (and the day before we were going to get married) he had an emergency that necessitated him returning to China.  I contacted the Guangzhou consulate via their email system, provided the requested documents/proof, and he was granted a second interview for "reissuance."  He had to re-do the medical, redo the interview (bringing yet another copy of all of the things he had to bring the first time) and we were approved again!  He received what looked like a new visa in his passport, but the original 90 day countdown for marriage was still ticking.  He came back to the US and we got married right away!

8/22/16- Married!

AOS

9/30/16- Filed for AOS, EA, AP

10/6/16- NOA 1 for AOS, EA, and AP (USCIS case status website says case was received on October 4th)

11/9/16- Bio appointment

12/13/16- EA and AP approved!

no news... case status on website still says "fingerprint fee received..."

4/11/17- submitted online service request for case out of normal processing time (over 6 months)

5/2/17- USCIS website updated to "My card is being produced!"

5/10/17- Green Card received

ROC

3/2/19- Filed ROC

3/8/19- NOA/18mo extension received

5/7/19- Bio appointment

9/2/20- Interview scheduled for next month!

Timeline
On 9/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, rasaco said:

How did the interview go? Did you end up bringing a phone interpreter? We are in a similar situation (Interview in October, we are at the ROC phase, not AOS, and my husband does speak English in his daily life, but this is just way too important of an interview to risk him misunderstanding a question). If you did end up using a phone interpreter, did you choose a friend or a professional? What was the process like of how you got them on the phone once you were there? Thanks so much!

Hi,

Just got back home from the interview. It was pretty simple. We got to the office 15 minutes before the scheduled time. Waited in line to get to the building.
When we got to the waiting room it was maybe 10-15 other couples. Social distancing.

IO were coming in and calling the names. We were waiting about 15 minutes before my wife's name was called. We followed the IO to his office.

He asked for documents verifying our identities etc. The questions were to both of us, but when he asked my wife about something that she didn't understand, I've asked him to rephrase it. He was happy to do it and other questions that my wife wouldn't understand he would explain some other way. He was super nice.

We had our translator/interpreter on stand by waiting by her phone just in case, but we didn't have to use her.

The questions were just about her job, our marriage and IO wanted to see original documents (passports, marriage certificate, etc.).

We were done in under 30 minutes. Received print out that they will review the documents and make a decision in the next couple of weeks.

Again, I can't stress it enough, the whole process today was very pleasant. We were expecting 'bored' government workers, but we've got very nice and pleasant employee.

Also, I've looked at all these people coming in, and they had maybe one folder of documents. We had a tote bag with 7.4lbs of documents :) I was covering all the possible bases. We don't need more delays and RFE.

So far, following the VJ guidelines and help from other members, we haven't had even 1 RFE from the first time we've applied for K-1 visa :)

Thank you all for the guidance!

Timeline

Woke up this morning, checked the case status and I see:

New Card Is Being Produced

On September 11, 2020, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number MXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and will mail it to the address you gave us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.