jwilson2468

AOS interview scheduled a month ago, but still haven't received letter

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi! It looks like NYC is finally scheduling AOS interviews again (woohoo!!!) however even though my interview was scheduled a month ago, I still haven't received anything in the mail.  I updated my address months ago, but checked with the tenants at my old apartment and they haven't received anything either. I haven't been able to get through to USCIS and have been disconnected several times. Is there a way to see the interview date and time online? After waiting so long, I'm really nervous that we'll miss it.

Our original interview was March 23, but it was cancelled due to COVID. Our status changed to "Interview was Scheduled" on July 23.

Any suggestions? Is it normal for it to take this long? Every other stage in the process took 1-2 weeks to receive the actual letter in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
24 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

Hi! It looks like NYC is finally scheduling AOS interviews again (woohoo!!!) however even though my interview was scheduled a month ago, I still haven't received anything in the mail.  I updated my address months ago, but checked with the tenants at my old apartment and they haven't received anything either. I haven't been able to get through to USCIS and have been disconnected several times. Is there a way to see the interview date and time online? After waiting so long, I'm really nervous that we'll miss it.

Our original interview was March 23, but it was cancelled due to COVID. Our status changed to "Interview was Scheduled" on July 23.

Any suggestions? Is it normal for it to take this long? Every other stage in the process took 1-2 weeks to receive the actual letter in the mail. That was pre Covid 

I suggest to keep calling and when you speak with someone ask for a tier 2 officer. Make calling them your full time job; you will be very disappointed if you miss the interview.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yea you need to get somebody on the phone who can tell you the date and email you the invite. Interviews are usually scheduled 4-6 weeks ahead so you're cutting it close

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Yea you need to get somebody on the phone who can tell you the date and email you the invite. Interviews are usually scheduled 4-6 weeks ahead so you're cutting it close

Ok, good to know - it's definitely starting to feel unusually long. I'll just have to stay vigilant on the phone. Do you think it's worth it to go in person on Monday to try to figure it out? What happens if we missed it but never received the letter?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

Ok, good to know - it's definitely starting to feel unusually long. I'll just have to stay vigilant on the phone. Do you think it's worth it to go in person on Monday to try to figure it out? What happens if we missed it but never received the letter?

They probably won't even let you enter the building without an appointment.

The sad thing is that it will be on you to prove that you never received the letter which can be quite impossible sometimes. Best case you'll get a new interview date, worst case you'll have to file AOS again

Timeline
On 8/23/2020 at 9:55 AM, Letspaintcookies said:

They probably won't even let you enter the building without an appointment.

The sad thing is that it will be on you to prove that you never received the letter which can be quite impossible sometimes. Best case you'll get a new interview date, worst case you'll have to file AOS again

Wow, this just got more complicated. The tenants in my old apartment just reached out to me to tell me they received the appointment letter this morning - it says the interview date was August 11. How can that be? It was mailed out July 23 and only just received today, so even if it went to the correct address we still would not have made it. I also have email confirmation from April 20 that my address was updated, so it should not have gone to my old address.

My case status still says "Interview was Scheduled."

On hour 2 of waiting on the phone for USCIS, really hoping they're able to understand this? Any advice as to what I should say beyond explaining the situation?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

Wow, this just got more complicated. The tenants in my old apartment just reached out to me to tell me they received the appointment letter this morning - it says the interview date was August 11. How can that be? It was mailed out July 23 and only just received today, so even if it went to the correct address we still would not have made it. I also have email confirmation from April 20 that my address was updated, so it should not have gone to my old address.

On hour 2 of waiting on the phone for USCIS, really hoping they're able to understand this? Any advice as to what I should say beyond explaining the situation?

At least you have something in hand to show that it wasn't your mistake that you didn't showed up but it was because the letter was sent to the wrong address even though you updated it. That's good and I hope that they'll just schedule you for a new date.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
37 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

Call your local field office. They should be able to reschedule your interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

At least you have something in hand to show that it wasn't your mistake that you didn't showed up but it was because the letter was sent to the wrong address even though you updated it. That's good and I hope that they'll just schedule you for a new date.

18 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

44 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

My sister just found out she missed her interview scheduled on 08/10. She was out of state to take care of our sick aunt. Tried calling but as usual wait time is hell. So chatted with an online representative, who said she should a letter explaining why she missed the appointment and attached the notice. mail it to the address at the bottom of the notice. We are about to send the letter, so hope this help and do keep us posted with any update

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

When did the USCIS start publishing local office numbers?

YMMV

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

How do I find the information for my local field office (NYC)? I can't find it anywhere beyond an address.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Ma Daniel said:

My sister just found out she missed her interview scheduled on 08/10. She was out of state to take care of our sick aunt. Tried calling but as usual wait time is hell. So chatted with an online representative, who said she should a letter explaining why she missed the appointment and attached the notice. mail it to the address at the bottom of the notice. We are about to send the letter, so hope this help and do keep us posted with any update

I finally got in touch with a USCIS agent, who said to do the same thing. I'm going to call back in the morning to speak to a Level 2 officer, who apparently is more able to help. Fingers crossed, this is beyond stressful. Best of luck to your sister!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, MissyB651 said:

Type in USCIS local field office and it should come up with the closest office in google.

Search by zip code on the USCIS web site instead; the closest field office isn't necessarily the one that handles your area (it usually is, but not always).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Did you finally get rescheduled with the field office for the missed interview? Same thing happened to me as the mail was sent to old address and I missed the interview. Called tier 2 and was told to fax a written statement to explain and request reschedule. It has been two weeks and heard nothing from the field office... not sure if they’re going deny the AOS....😭

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.