16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancé and I have committed to going the route of a CR-1 visa and are now trying to plan our wedding quickly so that we can get the ball rolling. The current plan is to fly into the USA and apply for a marriage license, Sign it and after a required three day waiting period we will have a small ceremony in her yard with a pastor and her kids and a few local friends to bear witness. I will then return to Canada to start my 14 day quarantine and we can start the CR-1 process. We do have a concern about me entering the country with the intent of marriage. I do have to be truthful about my intentions when I am at the airport going through customs. And when I tell them I am intending to enter the country to marry my fiance and return to Canada are they going to believe me? Or is it likely they will refuse my entry? Does anyone happen to have any knowledge or experience on this subject? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

-Spencer 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Bobnrob said:

Why don't you guys get married in Canada, then start the process. Without a 90 day marriage visa in the states you taking a risk... We went through the same thought process

What risk?       Many, many people come to the US to marry every year.....then return to their home countries.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Spencer F said:

My fiancé and I have committed to going the route of a CR-1 visa and are now trying to plan our wedding quickly so that we can get the ball rolling. The current plan is to fly into the USA and apply for a marriage license, Sign it and after a required three day waiting period we will have a small ceremony in her yard with a pastor and her kids and a few local friends to bear witness. I will then return to Canada to start my 14 day quarantine and we can start the CR-1 process. We do have a concern about me entering the country with the intent of marriage. I do have to be truthful about my intentions when I am at the airport going through customs. And when I tell them I am intending to enter the country to marry my fiance and return to Canada are they going to believe me? Or is it likely they will refuse my entry? Does anyone happen to have any knowledge or experience on this subject? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

-Spencer 

Good plan......Just be prepared to show the CBP officer evidence of your intent to return to Canada at the end of your visit.  Every entry is at the discretion of CBP.  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bobnrob said:

Why don't you guys get married in Canada, then start the process. Without a 90 day marriage visa in the states you taking a risk... We went through the same thought process

The Canadian government is not allowing fiances into the country under the travel ban exemptions.

Last year I went to visit my partner in the US to get married. I had a return ticket for 10 days' stay. As I went through on Nexus, I did not need to disclose that I was getting married but had I been asked the purpose of my visit, I would've simply said that I was visiting my partner for 10 days and been sure to have evidence of my ties to Canada and intention to return. Don't offer more than you're asked. 

Going to the US to get married is not illegal. Intended to get married and then stay to adjust status is considered fraud, so just be sure you've got proof of return and you'll be fine. 

Congrats!

Edited by Ptitchou

32 minutes ago, Ptitchou said:

The Canadian government is not allowing fiances into the country under the travel ban exemptions.

Last year I went to visit my partner in the US to get married. I had a return ticket for 10 days' stay. As I went through on Nexus, I did not need to disclose that I was getting married but had I been asked the purpose of my visit, I would've simply said that I was visiting my partner for 10 days and been sure to have evidence of my ties to Canada and intention to return. Don't offer more than you're asked. 

Going to the US to get married is not illegal. Intended to get married and then stay to adjust status is considered fraud, so just be sure you've got proof of return and you'll be fine. 

Congrats!

Ok thanks.. My misunderstanding. 

6 hours ago, Ptitchou said:

Thats not correct. Thats what they say on the news and on the borders website, reality is quite different. My USA fiance visited me in Canada 4 times since covid( crossed by land border). Its true he had to quarantine. He is also Nexus member, and i do believe that helps... When they ask for purpose of visit he says I need to see my fiance. Done. Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

My husband and I did exactly what you are planning when we got married in 2018. He came here, got married with me, and returned back to Denmark afterwards. When he arrived and was asked the purpose of his trip? "I'm here for 2 months to marry my fiancee" "Congratulations sir enjoy your stay". Coming from Canada I can't see you having an issue. Just be honest about your trip. There's nothing illegal about coming to the US to marry as long as you return back to Canada to go through the visa process the right way

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

10 hours ago, Bobnrob said:

This is not correct.

If CBP probes further, be explicit that you are not intending AOS. Sometimes knowing the rules and stating the true intention is what is required. 

Personally if I were you, I would do the same thing. 

Heads up, we married in British Columbia and the marriage license took 3 months to arrive without which we couldn't file for CR1. Just make sure which state you are marrying has a quick turn around time for delivering marriage certificate (especially in the pandemic times)

11 hours ago, Spencer F said:

And when I tell them I am intending to enter the country to marry my fiance and return to Canada are they going to believe me?

They believed me - and I had my wedding dress with me - and many others on here. But remember you don’t have to provide information that isn’t asked. If they ask you if you are going to be getting married then you must be truthful. But if they don’t ask, you don’t need to tell. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

This is not correct.

I'd like to point out that Canada can also give you the same kind of trouble the US gives, as they also don't like the idea of people coming in and staying. I've been grilled by the CBSA a few times, never been in secondary, but more than my fiance ever has by CBP.

3 minutes ago, JacobP said:

I'd like to point out that Canada can also give you the same kind of trouble the US gives, as they also don't like the idea of people coming in and staying. I've been grilled by the CBSA a few times, never been in secondary, but more than my fiance ever has by CBP.

Oh, I know.  My husband is a kiwi, and would always fly directly to YVR from Auckland and we would drive down from BC.  The Canadian border control at the airport always harangued him far more than the CBP at the land crossing into Washington State.   I thought it was strange.

Also agree that Canada is more “troublesome” at the border than the US. I once got a bargain ticket to Vancouver from London and took the bus to WA and then back the same way. Going back into Canada for a few hours to get to the airport was so much hassle. The agent wanted to know when and where I met my boyfriend (and he was at the time) and when I told her the country where we met she rolled her eyes and sighed and said “but whereabouts? A bar? Work? Through friends?” and it all seemed very unnecessary as I was on the airport bus, showed her the ticket on the flight that was leaving in a matter of hours and my husband is not Canadian and with his criminal record can’t even go across the border to go shopping. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.