Jess&Rob

Grounds to adjust status

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What would be grounds to adjust status?

I, the beneficiary am in the US with my husband the petitioner.  He is currently filing the petition. However, we were wondering if I am able to adjust status.  My husband has a debilitating genetic disease and I take care of him. Also Because of covid I cannot go back and stay with my elderly parents where I was staying before

any help would be greatly appreciiated! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

What would be grounds to adjust status?

I, the beneficiary am in the US with my husband the petitioner.  He is currently filing the petition. However, we were wondering if I am able to adjust status.  My husband has a debilitating genetic disease and I take care of him. Also Because of covid I cannot go back and stay with my elderly parents where I was staying before

any help would be greatly appreciiated! 

You will do a joint filing of I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765.  You're here legally and now want to adjust status.  Just do it.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

You will do a joint filing of I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765.  You're here legally and now want to adjust status.  Just do it.  

Thank you! And adjusting status means I can stay here legally throughout the whole process correct? Would that mean I do the interview here, or would I still travel back to Montreal or that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from  IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas; topic is AOS**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

15 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

Would that mean I do the interview here,

Yes. Inside the US at your local USCIS field office.

15 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

And adjusting status means I can stay here legally throughout the whole process correct?

Yes. Reminder that if you leave the US before I-131 is approved then your pending I-485 will automatically be deemed abandoned.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Yes. Inside the US at your local USCIS field office.

Yes. Reminder that if you leave the US before I-131 is approved then your pending I-485 will automatically be deemed abandoned.

What is the purpose of the I-131

Just now, Jess&Rob said:

Do We send all these forms in at the same time.. or is there a certain order?  

8 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

I-131 is called as advance parole that allows you leave and enter US under parole status. this is a document that is provided until your green card is approved. you need to make sure that I-131 is approved before you leave united states after filing your application. if you leave before its approval, you are going to have trouble entering back into US

duh

11 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

Yes you send all the applications in one single mail package.  you can start by reading here 

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-for-immediate-relatives-of-us-citizen

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-my-options/us-citizen-petition-for-an-immediate-relative-to-become-a-lawful-permanent-resident

duh

Timeline
8 minutes ago, James120383 said:

I-131 is called as advance parole that allows you leave and enter US under parole status. this is a document that is provided until your green card is approved. you need to make sure that I-131 is approved before you leave united states after filing your application. if you leave before its approval, you are going to have trouble entering back into US

What if it’s not approved before the date I’m supposed to return home - December 16,2020

3 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 It's optional but highly recommended. It's also free.

The form has multiple uses, but you'll use it to request Advance Parole (Form I-512) as an Adjustment applicant. If you leave the US before USCIS approves Advance Parole then the pending I-485 application is automatically deemed abandoned per 8 CFR 245.2(a)(4)(ii) https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/8/245.2

Just now, Jess&Rob said:

What if it’s not approved before the date I’m supposed to return home - December 16,2020

You can still wait inside the US after that day. As a pending Adjustment applicant you won't have status, but you'll be in a period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security.

7 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

than you will have difficulty getting back in. its a must to have that card in hand before you leave outside united states after starting the process.

duh

Timeline
3 minutes ago, James120383 said:

than you will have difficulty getting back in. its a must to have that card in hand before you leave outside united states after starting the process.

But i won’t get in trouble if I stay even if it’s past that date   Also we are filing I-130 online. It seems the others aren’t available to file online?

Edited by Jess&Rob

4 minutes ago, Jess&Rob said:

But i won’t get in trouble if I stay even if it’s past that date 

that is correct. once you file your application you have something called as "authorized stay". During this period you can stay in the United states until you become a permanent resident aka green card 

i believe your status can qualify for expedited processing of the application due to your husbands condition and your elderly  parents in canada 

Edited by James120383

duh

Timeline
2 minutes ago, James120383 said:

that is correct. once you file your application you have something called as "authorized stay". During this period you can stay in the United states until you become a permanent resident aka green card 

i believe your status can qualify for expedited processing of the application due to your husbands condition and your elderly  parents in canada 

Thank you and you’re talking about the adjustment of status correct? Not just the I-130?

where can I find out if I am eligible for expedited processing ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.