31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In the case of self-employed, they are looking at the line on tax return that is considered your income.  Most people take deep deductions which lessens their income.  If after his deductions, his income does not meet the income requirements, then he will need a joint sponsor.

For example:  Gross Receipts = 100,000.00 after business deductions income is 0.  (A lot of people do it)  Then you need a joint sponsor.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

52 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

In the case of self-employed, they are looking at the line on tax return that is considered your income.  Most people take deep deductions which lessens their income.  If after his deductions, his income does not meet the income requirements, then he will need a joint sponsor.

For example:  Gross Receipts = 100,000.00 after business deductions income is 0.  (A lot of people do it)  Then you need a joint sponsor.  

THIS.  Income (the amount available to support the immigrant) vs. revenue (pre-deduction gross) trips up lots of self-employed sponsors.  You cannot use the same money to support someone that you use for business-related expenses.

What benefits them as a taxpayer does not necessarily benefit them as a sponsor.

4 hours ago, NancyNguyen said:

Rfie = rfe, they are the same.

4 hours ago, NancyNguyen said:

show me a letter with RFE only recently. Now all RFE is RFIE.

Here's an RFE from 2017 for an I-129F: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LMayAd1zBUP6df-jajkcDLCtuHTeLtAn/view?usp=sharing

Here's an RFE from Nov. 2019 for an I-751: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/724907-received-rfe-for-i-751/

Here's an RFE from 2 months ago for an I-130: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/739959-rfe-unmarried-under-21-child/

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Looks pretty standard tbh. She seems to have filed her I-485 before the sponsor had filed the 2019 taxes. So now USCIS is asking for the latest tax return to see what the sponsor made last year. 

USCIS will always ask for the latest tax return transcript. If it wasn't included in the intial filing they will RFE you for it instead.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

20 hours ago, SCOOCHY 1 said:

Hi

I am trying to help my friend who is going through this process. 

She initially submitted the I-485 form last year and she received a notice to say application was denied.

She sent in a new I-485 and all its supporting forms and documents (and paid for all over again) and just received an RFE

Her husband is self employed and makes $75,000 annually. They submitted all the income tax forms and  submitted all the info he had from the accountant.  

Now, the RFE even to me sounds really confusing. They are not really that specific on what they actually missed on the form. My thinking is it could be they didn't send the latest version of the form? My friend is currently checking. 

This is what the letter said ...

Please can someone just break down this letter for me so I can help my friend? 

She is at her wits end and told me she submitted everything to them. 

I just wondering if they would prefer she has a co sponsor?

Sorry in advance if I missed the obvious its just been a difficult week with going through funerals etc. 

RFE pg1.jpg

RFE pg 2.jpg

My husband and I received the same letter. What happens was, I put that I made (I’m the US citizen) $48,000 for the year. There was nothing showing that I made that amount because I had just gotten a raise in January, and my taxes didn’t reflect that amount. I had my employer write a letter stating that is how much I currently make, and I was able to print out the pay raise info from my company’s intranet. It could be where he put that he makes $75,000 but his taxes don’t show that he does. They need proof for the amount he stated he makes  

1 hour ago, ReneeJas said:

My husband and I received the same letter. What happens was, I put that I made (I’m the US citizen) $48,000 for the year. There was nothing showing that I made that amount because I had just gotten a raise in January, and my taxes didn’t reflect that amount. I had my employer write a letter stating that is how much I currently make, and I was able to print out the pay raise info from my company’s intranet. It could be where he put that he makes $75,000 but his taxes don’t show that he does. They need proof for the amount he stated he makes  

We had to do that, plus we added a few months payslips as it couldn't hurt. 

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, ReneeJas said:

Just to clarify that taxes doesn't need to match the income reported on questions 7-20. There's no requirement for that in the instructions. 

But if you taxes doesn't show that, then you need to provide proof of current income, like employment letter and paystubs.

My husband's income was 90k, and his taxes only showed 65, because of 401k and other deductions. We didn't have a problem because we sent the employment letter verifying the current income and paystubs for the past 2 months. No RFE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, ReneeJas said:

A self employed person has no employer to write a letter. 

1 hour ago, jennywhite421 said:

We had to do that, plus we added a few months payslips as it couldn't hurt. 

if you read the information, the sponsor is self-employed. There is no employer letter or pay stubs. 

1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

Just to clarify that taxes doesn't need to match the income reported on questions 7-20. There's no requirement for that in the instructions. 

For a self-employed person, the tax return is the only way to prove income. There is no employer letter or pay stubs, or promised monthly salary. The annual tax return is where the final profit or loss from a business is tallied up.  The amount he says he earns does not have to “match” to the penny, but it can’t be more than what the tax return Line 7b (Total Income) shows. If his tax return 7b says $48,999 then he can put $48,000 on his I-864 but he better not put $50,000 or it will be rejected as not proven even though he does earn a good enough salary. 

35 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

if you read the information, the sponsor is self-employed. There is no employer letter or pay stubs. 

I did read it, and I was just saying what we did, that was all. 

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

For a self-employed person, the tax return is the only way to prove income. There is no employer letter or pay stubs, or promised monthly salary. The annual tax return is where the final profit or loss from a business is tallied up.  The amount he says he earns does not have to “match” to the penny, but it can’t be more than what the tax return Line 7b (Total Income) shows. If his tax return 7b says $48,999 then he can put $48,000 on his I-864 but he better not put $50,000 or it will be rejected as not proven even though he does earn a good enough salary. 

Yes, of course. I forgot to add "unless you're self employed" at the end.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/28/2020 at 10:34 AM, SCOOCHY 1 said:

Hi

I am trying to help my friend who is going through this process. 

She initially submitted the I-485 form last year and she received a notice to say application was denied.

She sent in a new I-485 and all its supporting forms and documents (and paid for all over again) and just received an RFE

Her husband is self employed and makes $75,000 annually. They submitted all the income tax forms and  submitted all the info he had from the accountant.  

Now, the RFE even to me sounds really confusing. They are not really that specific on what they actually missed on the form. My thinking is it could be they didn't send the latest version of the form? My friend is currently checking. 

This is what the letter said ...

Please can someone just break down this letter for me so I can help my friend? 

She is at her wits end and told me she submitted everything to them. 

I just wondering if they would prefer she has a co sponsor?

Sorry in advance if I missed the obvious its just been a difficult week with going through funerals etc. 

RFE pg1.jpg

RFE pg 2.jpg

He probably submitted the form l864 missing some documents related with the tax return, because he is self employed he must submit schedule  C, D, E and F, and a copy of his business license and registration  as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, sandranj said:

He probably submitted the form l864 missing some documents related with the tax return, because he is self employed he must submit schedule  C, D, E and F, and a copy of his business license and registration  as well.

My husband (who is also self-employed and my only sponsor) never sent any business license or registration. For the I-134 he sent the whole tax return. For the I-864 he sent the IRS tax return transcript. That's all he ever sent regarding his income, and we never had an RFE, but that was also back in 2016-2017 so things might have changed. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

4 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Thanks so much for your help it really made sense!!! 

20 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I know that..I have my own business as well. I was just giving an example and what I had to do, that’s all. 

Seems like there's been some explaining what people did, while apparently knowing that it didn't apply to the OP's situation. 🤷‍♂️

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.