31 posts in this topic

Hi

I am trying to help my friend who is going through this process. 

She initially submitted the I-485 form last year and she received a notice to say application was denied.

She sent in a new I-485 and all its supporting forms and documents (and paid for all over again) and just received an RFE

Her husband is self employed and makes $75,000 annually. They submitted all the income tax forms and  submitted all the info he had from the accountant.  

Now, the RFE even to me sounds really confusing. They are not really that specific on what they actually missed on the form. My thinking is it could be they didn't send the latest version of the form? My friend is currently checking. 

This is what the letter said ...

Please can someone just break down this letter for me so I can help my friend? 

She is at her wits end and told me she submitted everything to them. 

I just wondering if they would prefer she has a co sponsor?

Sorry in advance if I missed the obvious its just been a difficult week with going through funerals etc. 

RFE pg1.jpg

RFE pg 2.jpg

Edited by SCOOCHY 1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SCOOCHY 1 said:

Hi

She initially submitted the I-485 form last year and she received a notice to say application was denied.

She sent in a new I-485 and all its supporting forms and documents (and paid for all over again) and just received an RFE

Her husband is self employed and makes $75,000 annually. They submitted all the income tax forms and  submitted all the info he had from the accountant.  

Now, the RFE even to me sounds really confusing. They are not really that specific on what they actually missed on the form. My thinking is it could be they didn't send the latest version of the form? My friend is currently checking. 

Sorry in advance if I missed the obvious its just been a difficult week with going through funerals etc. 

RFE pg1.jpg

RFE pg 2.jpg

This has nothing to do with which version of the form she used. It's pretty specific in what they need. She should just follow the directions and send them what they're asking for, even if she has to send duplicates of evidence she already submitted. They want tax forms and supporting evidence for the most recent tax year. She can send her husband's 1040, but transcripts from the IRS would be better. Make sure you've signed the form. Good luck!

It's not an RFE, that's an RFIE - Request for Initial Evidence. Which means they didn't include something they had to include. It's kinda more serious. I got pretty much the same letter, and my husband is self employed as well. 

One of the most popular mistakes self-employed sponsors make is they put gross income instead of total income. It doesn't matter how much money he earned last year, what important is how much money left after deduction. If that make sense. I don't remember exactly how it calls. But I can check where to find this number in taxes.

The problem with my case was I didn't include form 1099. I found out about that just because I hired a lawyer, otherwise it's hard to get what they need from you because the letter is kinda the same for everyone :). 

PS English is my second language, so forgive me my mistakes. 

14 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

It's not an RFE, that's an RFIE - Request for Initial Evidence. Which means they didn't include something they had to include. It's kinda more serious. I got pretty much the same letter, and my husband is self employed as well. 

One of the most popular mistakes self-employed sponsors make is they put gross income instead of total income. It doesn't matter how much money he earned last year, what important is how much money left after deduction. If that make sense. I don't remember exactly how it calls. But I can check where to find this number in taxes.

The problem with my case was I didn't include form 1099. I found out about that just because I hired a lawyer, otherwise it's hard to get what they need from you because the letter is kinda the same for everyone :). 

Rfie = rfe, they are the same.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

42 minutes ago, SCOOCHY 1 said:

Hi

RFE pg1.jpg

RFE pg 2.jpg

He needs to order latest tax transcript.

N400

20 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

Rfie = rfe, they are the same.

It's not the same.

RFE is request for evidence. Meaning they want more evidence other than what was already provided.

RFIE is request for initial evidence. Meaning you forgot to provide evidence, documentation, or information that was supposed to be initially sent.

3 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

It's not the same.

RFE is request for evidence. Meaning they want more evidence other than what was already provided.

RFIE is request for initial evidence. Meaning you forgot to provide evidence, documentation, or information that was supposed to be initially sent.

show me a letter with RFE only recently. Now all RFE is RFIE.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

1 minute ago, NancyNguyen said:

show me a letter with RFE only.

You are not helping arguing with me. Second, your suggestion about tax transcripts might be wrong, because I got pretty much the same letter and I needed to send form 1099. In addition, I didn't send tax transcripts because it wasn't available at that time and they accepted it. The status changed to "case is ready for interview" already. 

So I won't be so sure about tax transcripts, especially in the case of self-employed situation, because it's a little bit more complicated. 

3 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

You are not helping arguing with me. Second, your suggestion about tax transcripts might be wrong, because I got pretty much the same letter and I needed to send form 1099. In addition, I didn't send tax transcripts because it wasn't available at that time and they accepted it. The status changed to "case is ready for interview" already. 

So I won't be so sure about tax transcripts, especially in the case of self-employed situation, because it's a little bit more complicated. 

She was correct, tax transcripts are always preferred in I-864 RFE.

3 minutes ago, Mariam&Smith said:

She was correct, tax transcripts are always preferred in I-864 RFE.

To be honest, I have my experience with the same situation, and I don't understand what's the problem here? 

How could you be so sure about tax transcripts? It could be like another 5 reasons for RFIE. 

Edited by Cornflake

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. I've sent my friend this information. As I recall, I think transcripts were preffered but i've also asked her if she submitted 1099 or not. 

When she submits all this does she have to send a new application? She doesn't want to pay all that again!

1 hour ago, Cornflake said:

Thank you for your help much appreciated and your English is great!

57 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

He needs to order latest tax transcript.

Thanks Nancy! I let my friend know. 

I'n so glad to be done with all this I got my citizenship 2 years ago!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

To be honest, I have my experience with the same situation, and I don't understand what's the problem here? 

How could you be so sure about tax transcripts? It could be like another 5 reasons for RFIE. 

Tax transcripts are preferred because they prove you actually filed.  They are usually pretty easy to get. Mine was ready less than two weeks after I electronically filed my taxes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@SCOOCHY 1

Possible issues

1) The tax documents were incomplete.
If it was a photocopy of the tax return it has to be all pages which may include Form 1040, Schedule 1, Schedule B, Schedule C, Schedule SE.... AND any form 1099 wage statements.
For a self employed person, they could have more than one form 1099-MISC which is a wage statement provided by anybody he provide services for in excess of $600. The nature of the self employment could be he does all his work as a subcontractor to only one employer (one 1099) -or- he has many clients who pay him for his service ( several 1099s). 
A 2019 tax transcript would help make sure he supplied the correct tax forms and then no 1099s would have to be submitted. 

2) The income was reported incorrectly on the I-864.

He reports self employment in in the box on Part 6, question 4 and on the next page question 20.  Check both places. The income amount he reports must not be more than what is proven by his tax return because he is self employed. The number the USCIS uses as proof of earning enough is found on the tax return Form 1040 Line 7b.  If he filled in his affidavit of support boxes with a higher income than his tax return Line 7b says, then he has no proof of the income he reported. This matching is because he is self employed. Check that he didn’t over-report is yearly income on the affidavit of support.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.