Senad and Anna

K-1 Visa Interview - Response from Consulate

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
23 hours ago, Senad and Anna said:

Hello,

I had high hopes that the consulates would continue with K-1 interviews. My fiances interview was scheduled 2nd week of April, then we were hit with the pandemic and her interview was canceled as for everyone else.

Last week I contacted the consulate in Frankfurt, Germany to see if K-1 visa interviews would be included now that they are reopening for some limited services and received the following as an answer:

We are not processing or scheduling K visa appointments at this time. 
Although you may be eligible for an exception from Presidential Proclamation 10052 on the Risk to the Labor Market, you are still present in the Schengen Zone and subject to Presidential Proclamation 9984.  If you are eligible for an exception from Presidential Proclamation 9984 (ex. You have a U.S. citizen or LPR child under 21 or a U.S. citizen or LPR spouse), please contact us at FrankfurtVisaInquiries@state.gov.

Did anyone receive anything like this from a consulate?

Also, I am having a hard time understanding what an exception could be from the 9984 Proclamation.  Would anyone be able to explain please?   I would really appreciate the help.

I wish London had something like this !! I am a parent of a US citizen and exempt from all proclamations. 

5 hours ago, Daria Parkinson said:

Unfortunately, fiancés do not have the same “status” as the lawful spouses.

Might be easier to just marry already, honestly.

Not that easy "to just marry already", considering travel restrictions and all... Many people are just stuck right now.

1 hour ago, Marieke H said:

Not that easy "to just marry already", considering travel restrictions and all... Many people are just stuck right now.

But getting married and having to start all over with a CR1 takes time. Maybe by then the embassies would have opened up and started to process K-1s. It's a gamble either way. Maybe things will get better in November also, which is only 3 months away. So much uncertainty ugghh.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:11 AM, Senad and Anna said:

Also, I am having a hard time understanding what an exception could be from the 9984 Proclamation.  Would anyone be able to explain please?

I'm assuming some are based on "(iii)   any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21"

In June, the following consular posts in Schengen Area issued K-1 visas; https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/June 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

• Madrid: 1 visa
  • Naples: 1 visa
  • Paris: 2 visas
  • Prague: 1 visa
  • Stockholm: 2 visas
8 hours ago, Ah96 said:

I wish London had something like this !! I am a parent of a US citizen and exempt from all proclamations. 

Keep challenging the London embassy to issue your K-1 based on the exemption. Although they haven't issued K-1 visas, they have continued issuing B-1/B-2 visas.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
16 hours ago, Daria Parkinson said:

Unfortunately, fiancés do not have the same “status” as the lawful spouses.

Might be easier to just marry already, honestly.

i think i:m heading that way  just get married  and the C-1 VISA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Just now, elkski said:

mud man.  Are you two together such that you can marry most of us are stuck a part in the K1 line

sorry elkski im chicago she in mexico

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm thinking this covid has delayed  K1 4 months so far.   it maybe growing.  at least the Bangkok embassy is open.  But I read not working on the K1 pile.  Can all of us hold together another year?

The Frankfurt Consulate finally answered me @Senad and Anna

This is what I got:

The "suspension of entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States" is the PPNCOV.  The PPNCOV also precludes us, with some exceptions noted here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html, from issuing a visa to anyone who is physically present in a Schengen country.  

Please contact us again when the PPNCOV is lifted. 

Please monitor our website (www.usembassy.de) for information about the PPNCOV and visa services at the U.S. Consulate General--Frankfurt.  Because of the volume of inquiries we are receiving, we cannot provide further case-specific updates until these restrictions are lifted.

Different but same...  😟

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 7/23/2020 at 5:20 AM, Daria Parkinson said:

I am already married (if you’re addressing this to me). We’ve made our decision and are seeing many advantages right now of marrying and applying for the CR-1 spousal visa instead of the K-1 fiancé one. :) 

I am interested in what advantages you are talking about if you dont mind me asking.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, S&Y said:

I am interested in what advantages you are talking about if you dont mind me asking.

Well, being a fiancé cannot really go in comparison with being a lawful spouse. The “status” is completely different.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
On 7/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Verocopter said:

The Frankfurt Consulate finally answered me @Senad and Anna

This is what I got:

The "suspension of entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States" is the PPNCOV.  The PPNCOV also precludes us, with some exceptions noted here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html, from issuing a visa to anyone who is physically present in a Schengen country.  

Please contact us again when the PPNCOV is lifted. 

Please monitor our website (www.usembassy.de) for information about the PPNCOV and visa services at the U.S. Consulate General--Frankfurt.  Because of the volume of inquiries we are receiving, we cannot provide further case-specific updates until these restrictions are lifted.

Different but same...  😟

The point here is that it is not definitively until December 31st, that is a totally different proclamation. So there is hope that they can start processing K1s sooner.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have a question.. when they say people with US citizen children who are under 21 are exempt from this ban... do they mean the beneficiary having a child who is a US citizen under the age 21? 

13 minutes ago, Rose2019 said:

do they mean the beneficiary having a child who is a US citizen under the age 21? 

Yes, the beneficiary must be the biological or legal parent of the child. The child must be unmarried, under the age of 21, and a US citizen or LPR: "any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.