SydneyfMaghrib

Confused about case status after expedite request

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

What does “Case status: initial review” mean?

I requested an expedite On 6/10, was asked to send expedite evidence on 6/12, and then today I got this update via email. 

Application Type: I129F, PETITION FOR ALIEN FIANCÉ(E) 

Your Case Status: Initial Review 

On June 17, 2020, we received your response to our request for additional information regarding expedite processing of your Form I129F, PETITION FOR ALIEN FIANCÉ(E), Receipt Number WAC*********. Your request has been forwarded to an officer for review.

Does this mean they are reviewing my expedite or reviewing my case?

NOA1- March 27th

💕

Timeline
4 minutes ago, James120383 said:

Yes they are reviewing your case based on expedite request 

So this is reason enough to believe my expedite was accepted? 

NOA1- March 27th

💕

2 minutes ago, SydneyfMaghrib said:

No - it means they are reviewing it.

An approval will say approved and being forwarded to the NVC,

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

No - it means they are reviewing it.

An approval will say approved and being forwarded to the NVC,

Yes I know! I just mean approved the expedite, not the case. My NOA1 is April 3rd, so there is no way they would be reviewing my case right now unless they approved the expedite request. 

NOA1- March 27th

💕

6 minutes ago, SydneyfMaghrib said:

Yes I know! I just mean approved the expedite, not the case. My NOA1 is April 3rd, so there is no way they would be reviewing my case right now unless they approved the expedite request. 

Sorry I thought I typed something clearer - They are reviewing the request to expedite.  If they approve that they usually do the I-129F right afterwards.  But sit tight - an expedite can still take a few weeks.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 hour ago, SydneyfMaghrib said:

Yes its possible but only the lockbox can confirm that your expedited request is accepted. There is no way to confirm unless the lockbox confirms that your expedited is accepted. If case is moving forward, good estimate is that expedited pushed the case for a decision 

duh

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, James120383 said:

Yes its possible but only the lockbox can confirm that your expedited request is accepted. There is no way to confirm unless the lockbox confirms that your expedited is accepted. If case is moving forward, good estimate is that expedited pushed the case for a decision 

Lockbox?  What involvement does the lockbox have in an expedite.   Everything is done by the service center.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not sure which of the following you used to qualify your expedite (and i don't need to know)

From the USCIS site:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5

USCIS may consider expediting a benefit request if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to a company [1] or person, [2] provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure: (1) to file the benefit request or the request to expedite in a reasonable time frame; or (2) to respond to any requests for additional evidence in a reasonably timely manner;

• Urgent humanitarian reasons;

• Compelling U.S. Government interests (such as urgent cases for the Department of Defense or DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); or

• Clear USCIS error.

Not every circumstance that fits under one of these categories will result in expedited treatment.

But i do know Casa embassy and as yet they are not open

Even if you succeed to get the documents expedited, you face several issues:

1.  2019 only $5000 because you were peace corps volunteer  (you will need that joint sponsor you don't want to use so prepare to ask your dad)

2.  there are January,  February and March cases already on hold (in Casa) for their March and April interviews which were cancelled

3.  Spouse interviews will get priority interviews followed by the K1 on-hold cases

4.  most K1's are denied in casa although you lived there as volunteer and probably have a good relationship with proofs , Casa can still deny (they denied an employee of immigration who was married who carefully prepared her case  )

5.  After the interview and either the ds 5540 or ds 5535 ,  the case goes into AP which can be a long and lengthy amount of time (Derik ,  a school teacher from PA and married to a Fes woman was in  AP from December 2018 till November 2019. 

6.  Your fiancee can not work (if granted a visa ) for months and you will have to show he will not be a public charge and you can afford his health care insurance and AOS for his green card  is not cheap.  Let's hope you don't face the new proposed fee increase as now it is $1250 and they propose $2000.

Mainly getting an expedite does not mean visa approval and the person comes faster to the US

many of us who did K1 have had to return and marry 

this all sounds negative but it is only meant to prepare you for what usually happens

please be prepared with that joint sponsor and IRS transcripts 

and if he comes,   get his marry ASAP and add him to your employer health care insurance ,   get to SS office with your I 94 and get his SS #,  (i think you have 90 days for this too),  have him register for selective service (do not dely this one) and apply for the AOS and EAD (and what ever else needed ASAP) so he can work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

WWwwaaaaaahhhhhh!!?? 😲 You can expedite an i-129f? I've read on VJ and the US Gov. USCIS Websites that only Work visa's and such can be expedited...... 🤔 hhhhhmmmm 

Super Curious about this. 

• Severe financial loss to a company [1] or person, [2] provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure: (1) to file the benefit request or the request to expedite in a reasonable time frame; or (2) to respond to any requests for additional evidence in a reasonably timely manner; - huh? Doesn't make sense for a K-1 Petition or in just 2 Months..... hhhmmmmm

• Urgent humanitarian reasons; - Doesn't seem in the realm of K-1 Petition. 

• Compelling U.S. Government interests (such as urgent cases for the Department of Defense or DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); why then a K-1 Petition?.... unlikely.

• Clear USCIS error - in 2 months? not likely

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, SydneyfMaghrib said:

What does “Case status: initial review” mean?

I requested an expedite On 6/10, was asked to send expedite evidence on 6/12, and then today I got this update via email. 

Application Type: I129F, PETITION FOR ALIEN FIANCÉ(E) 

Your Case Status: Initial Review 

On June 17, 2020, we received your response to our request for additional information regarding expedite processing of your Form I129F, PETITION FOR ALIEN FIANCÉ(E), Receipt Number WAC*********. Your request has been forwarded to an officer for review.

Does this mean they are reviewing my expedite or reviewing my case?

They are reviewing your expedite request.

2 minutes ago, Cody&Razely said:

WWwwaaaaaahhhhhh!!?? 😲 You can expedite an i-129f? I've read on VJ and the US Gov. USCIS Websites that only Work visa's and such can be expedited...... 🤔 hhhhhmmmm 

• Severe financial loss to a company [1] or person, [2] provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure: (1) to file the benefit request or the request to expedite in a reasonable time frame; or (2) to respond to any requests for additional evidence in a reasonably timely manner; - huh? Doesn't make sense for a K-1 Petition or in just 2 Months..... hhhmmmmm

• Compelling U.S. Government interests (such as urgent cases for the Department of Defense or DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); why then a K-1 Petition?.... unlikely.

You can request for an expedite on many visas. Whether or not you get the expedite is something different. As you can see in what you posted above, most expedites require specific reasons that need to be supported by evidence. Some people do it anyway in hopes of getting approved. But we have seen that most times frivolous requests get denied.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
5 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Not sure which of the following you used to qualify your expedite (and i don't need to know)

From the USCIS site:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5

USCIS may consider expediting a benefit request if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to a company [1] or person, [2] provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure: (1) to file the benefit request or the request to expedite in a reasonable time frame; or (2) to respond to any requests for additional evidence in a reasonably timely manner;

• Urgent humanitarian reasons;

• Compelling U.S. Government interests (such as urgent cases for the Department of Defense or DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); or

• Clear USCIS error.

Not every circumstance that fits under one of these categories will result in expedited treatment.

But i do know Casa embassy and as yet they are not open

Even if you succeed to get the documents expedited, you face several issues:

1.  2019 only $5000 because you were peace corps volunteer  (you will need that joint sponsor you don't want to use so prepare to ask your dad)

2.  there are January,  February and March cases already on hold (in Casa) for their March and April interviews which were cancelled

3.  Spouse interviews will get priority interviews followed by the K1 on-hold cases

4.  most K1's are denied in casa although you lived there as volunteer and probably have a good relationship with proofs , Casa can still deny (they denied an employee of immigration who was married who carefully prepared her case  )

5.  After the interview and either the ds 5540 or ds 5535 ,  the case goes into AP which can be a long and lengthy amount of time (Derik ,  a school teacher from PA and married to a Fes woman was in  AP from December 2018 till November 2019. 

6.  Your fiancee can not work (if granted a visa ) for months and you will have to show he will not be a public charge and you can afford his health care insurance and AOS for his green card  is not cheap.  Let's hope you don't face the new proposed fee increase as now it is $1250 and they propose $2000.

Mainly getting an expedite does not mean visa approval and the person comes faster to the US

many of us who did K1 have had to return and marry 

this all sounds negative but it is only meant to prepare you for what usually happens

please be prepared with that joint sponsor and IRS transcripts 

and if he comes,   get his marry ASAP and add him to your employer health care insurance ,   get to SS office with your I 94 and get his SS #,  (i think you have 90 days for this too),  have him register for selective service (do not dely this one) and apply for the AOS and EAD (and what ever else needed ASAP) so he can work.

I appreciate your thorough response. 

I know Casa can be notoriously hard consulate for a k1, but I’m pretty confident we have a strong enough case with no red flags. I’ve seen many people get K1 approval there who had a similar situation as me, it seems like most of the denials have at least one major red flag. 

In regards to the affidavit of support, maybe it is better my F doesn’t have his interview until next year so I can use my 2020 taxes without a joint sponsor.

NOA1- March 27th

💕

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cody&Razely said:

Just remember just because you can request an expedite doesn't mean it will be guaranteed. The reasons I've seen people post for wanting an expedite are sometimes laughable. Stress and anxiety due to COVID (and I'm not talking like psychiatrically hospitalized/suicidal). Umm.. I think most of us are stressed because of COVID....or pregnant and due in 1 month... yeah... Personally, I think most of these requests just hold up the line for everyone else.. and people then wonder why processing times changed things aren't "fair". How many times a petition is touched slows down the process. Don't even get me started on those that get like 2 RFEs for something dumb like forgetting to sign the petition. Off my soapbox :) 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

The reasons I've seen people post for wanting an expedite are sometimes laughable. 👍

Stress and anxiety due to COVID (and I'm not talking like psychiatrically hospitalized/suicidal). Umm.. I think most of us are stressed because of COVID 👍👍👍👍👍 ....or pregnant and due in 1 month... yeah... Personally, I think most of these requests just hold up the line for everyone else.. and people then wonder why processing times changed things aren't "fair". How many times a petition is touched slows down the process. Don't even get me started on those that get like 2 RFEs for something dumb like forgetting to sign the petition. Off my soapbox :) 

I was thinking the exact same thing, that it just re-allocates man hours onto something that is not someones petitions which has been waiting patiently, No soapbox, just factual and very understandable. 

lol, yeah I have thought the same on the RFE front as well lol, I agree with all of it :D  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.