Dundle

Told we don't meet the meet income requirements - but we do

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey there,

Just got an update on my case, very frustrated by it. We were just told we do "not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview." And then we were linked here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

I'm not really sure what the counsular officer making a decision means, but the message is also wrong. The HHS guidelines for a household of 2 is $21,550, but my wife made over $35,000 last year. How is that correct?

We were already told we aren't eligible for for "EZ" form, which I believe was incorrect too (we poured through the form info and saw nothing that would disqualify us) but they didn't tell us why and I thought it would be easier to just do the regular I-864 than trying to argue with them.

I don't want to file with a joint sponsor, but we could do it if we really needed. Does anyone have a better understanding of this situation than me?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Is she self employed? 

The guideline is only a guideline- not a steadfast number and the COs have discretion when they look at the totality of circumstances. I do agree that 35k should be sufficient (which is why I asked if she is self employed) but if they are telling you she does not see the requirement you should start looking for a joint sponsor ; a much better option than being denied. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Dundle said:

I'm not really sure what the counsular officer making a decision means, but the message is also wrong. The HHS guidelines for a household of 2 is $21,550, but my wife made over $35,000 last year. How is that correct?

The Consulate Officer ALWAYS makes the decision regarding the likelihood of an immigrant becoming a public charge.  The federal guideline are just that......the Consulate Officer considers the whole picture.  There is no specific income level which guarantees approval.  It is at the discretion of the CO.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Dundle said:

I don't want to file with a joint sponsor, but we could do it if we really needed.

I would find a joint sponsor before the interview.....or risk a delay in the visa.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

It seems like we may have to get a joint sponsor based on the replies here. Not overjoyed about that, but you have to do what you have to do.

14 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Is she self employed? 

The guideline is only a guideline- not a steadfast number and the COs have discretion when they look at the totality of circumstances. I do agree that 35k should be sufficient (which is why I asked if she is self employed) but if they are telling you she does not see the requirement you should start looking for a joint sponsor ; a much better option than being denied. 

I didn't know it was a guideline, but it does seem like she's making more than enough. She's not self-employed, she works for a large logistics company.

14 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I would find a joint sponsor before the interview.....or risk a delay in the visa.

This is likely the solution then. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

What is her source of income (W-2 employee, self-employed, etc.)? What evidence of her income was provided?

Provided W-2 and Tax Return for 2019. Forgot to submit pay stub, we also received a second message about that and submitted there. I don't think that should have affected it.

Just now, Dundle said:

It seems like we may have to get a joint sponsor based on the replies here. Not overjoyed about that, but you have to do what you have to do.

I would suggest having an I-864 from one just in case it is needed. Only present it if needed.

Just now, Dundle said:

I didn't know it was a guideline, but it does seem like she's making more than enough. She's not self-employed, she works for a large logistics company.

Under = no visa can be issued

Above = judgement call based on the totality of the circumstances: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

In short, the income level must be at least 125% of the FPL for consideration, but ultimately the requirement is convincing the CO that they will not become a public charge. That includes considering the sponsor(s)'s income/assets, employment history, the applicant's age/education/health/etc, etc.

Just now, Dundle said:

Provided W-2 and Tax Return for 2019. Forgot to submit pay stub, we also received a second message about that and submitted there. I don't think that should have affected it.

The lack of pay stubs is a possible cause as well. Current income for a W-2 employee is evidenced via pay stubs. Tax returns show prior income (not that it isn't required....but that's a separate requirement from current income).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The lack of pay stubs is a possible cause as well.

That is my thinking, too.........I agree that having joint sponsor documents ready is wise.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I would suggest having an I-864 from one just in case it is needed. Only present it if needed.

Under = no visa can be issued

Above = judgement call based on the totality of the circumstances: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

In short, the income level must be at least 125% of the FPL for consideration, but ultimately the requirement is convincing the CO that they will not become a public charge. That includes considering the sponsor(s)'s income/assets, employment history, the applicant's age/education/health/etc, etc.

The lack of pay stubs is a possible cause as well. Current income for a W-2 employee is evidenced via pay stubs. Tax returns show prior income (not that it isn't required....but that's a separate requirement from current income).

This is super helpful, thank you. When would I present the joint sponsor, if it was needed? Have it ready at the consular meeting, but not submit online? The message we received said we could submit it, not that we needed to. They also suggested it would speed our application up but I'm not sure how additional paperwork would make things go faster, considering how long they've already taken.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

That is my thinking, too.........I agree that having joint sponsor documents ready is wise.

It's nice to hear some agreement with this. Hopefully it was a simple mistake and it'll be cleared up now that I've submitted the additional documents.

Timeline
1 minute ago, HKS said:

I was told by my lawyer to never use the EZ form even if it says you qualify. I'm not sure why, but he said there are some "problems" going on for those that use it even though the instructions say you can. 

Thanks for sharing this. Feel a bit of relief it wasn't just me!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dundle said:

This is super helpful, thank you. When would I present the joint sponsor, if it was needed? Have it ready at the consular meeting, but not submit online? The message we received said we could submit it, not that we needed to.

Sounds like they are going forward with interview scheduling.  If so, I would just take it to the interview.  The Consulate Officer will make the final decision whether you submit it to NVC or not.....

NOTE:  We received a checklist (RFE) from NVC in 2017.  We were required to submit additional documents.  It delayed our case by 3 months.

Edited by Lucky Cat

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Sounds like they are going forward with interview scheduling.  If so, I would just take it to the interview.  The Consulate Officer will make the final decision whether you submit it to NVC or not.....

NOTE:  We received a checklist (RFE) from NVC in 2017.  We were required to submit additional documents.  It delayed our case by 3 months.

Wow, I'm so sorry. It feels like this is made as arduous as possible sometimes. My wife just walked into Ireland and got handed her residency.

I just wanna be super clear because three months is a long time and I don't want to mess this up; the likely better idea is not to file for the joint sponsor now in-case of a large delay? Because if the CO tells me to file it, then I'll have that delay anyway. But if they don't, then I don't, and there's no risk of delay...

Right?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dundle said:

Because if the CO tells me to file it, then I'll have that delay anyway.

If you have joint sponsor documentation ready at the interview, I don't see why it would delay your case. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

If you have joint sponsor documentation ready at the interview, I don't see why it would delay your case. 

Amazing, thank you.

Thanks to everyone with advice so far, I feel a lot better than I did an hour ago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.