KristineGB

SSN valid for work only

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, KristineGB said:

Thanks well to me it was confusing. 

Just wait until you start navigating US health care.....😃

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Just wait until you start navigating US health care.....😃

Hahaha oh my god. Yess... I’m so grateful that my employer based insurance only offers 2 healthcare and 2 dental plans so I don’t have to puzzle too many things together. This whole for-profit system is the worst I’ve seen in my life 😃

3 hours ago, KristineGB said:

Ahhh gotcha. BUT “Only valid for work with employment authorization” is a whole sentence. Meaning That it goes together with an EAD”. It if it is written that way it it does not mean it is ONLY for work. I am a Communications professional. I may be from another country but I also know proper grammar.

It means it is only valid for work purposes if you have employment authorization.

It says nothing about its validity for other purposes. You read more into what was stated than what was actually there.

The sentence appears grammatically correct and clear to me. The text was also reviewed by many people before issuing the cards with that text (it used to use another wording).

If you believe that the text is unclear, feel free to contact USCIS and/or the SSA. Personally, I would have better things to do with my time.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It means it is only valid for work purposes if you have employment authorization.

It says nothing about its validity for other purposes. You read more into what was stated than what was actually there.

The sentence appears grammatically correct and clear to me. The text was also reviewed by many people before issuing the cards with that text (it used to use another wording).

If you believe that the text is unclear, feel free to contact USCIS and/or the SSA. Personally, I would have better things to do with my time.

All I’m really wondering is if I can get my state ID and such. 

Yes perhaps I did read too much into what was there because analyzing words is what I do for a living. My mistake. That was why I was asking. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

Hahaha oh my god. Yess... I’m so grateful that my employer based insurance only offers 2 healthcare and 2 dental plans so I don’t have to puzzle too many things together. This whole for-profit system is the worst I’ve seen in my life 😃

Oh. Okay I will take it one thing at a time. Lol. 

It's pretty clear to me but I can see how it's also a bit vague because it can technically be read in two ways:

1) VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION or

2) VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION

Just out of curiosity, how would you write it to make it less vague? 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

14 minutes ago, randomstairs said:

It's pretty clear to me but I can see how it's also a bit vague because it can technically be read in two ways:

"It is only with DHS authorization that this SSN is valid for work."

Quantifier scope ambiguity is fun. (I am a linguist.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A clearer statement would be: SSN REQUIRES DHS AUTHORIZATION FOR WORK" or "SSN NOT VALID FOR WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION". 

There's a bit of an ambiguity with the statement when it's not read properly. 

K1 Visa Journey

Event Date
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
Consulate: Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent: 2012-12-27
I-129F NOA1: 2013-01-17
I-129F RFE(s): 2013-05-31
RFE Reply(s): 2013-06-04
I-129F NOA2: 2013-12-19

Consulate Received: 2014-04-17
Packet 3 Received: 2014-06-13
Packet 3 Sent: 2014-06-17
Packet 4 Received: 2014-08-27
Interview Date: 2014-10-24

Interview Result: Administrative Review
Second Interview
(If Required): No
Approved: 2014-07-17
Visa in hand: 2014-07-21

Adjustment of Status

Event Date
CIS Office: Chicago Lockbox/Tampa FL
Date Filed: 2015-12-07
NOA Date: 2015-12-16
NOA Hardcopy: 2015-12-21
RFE(s):
Bio. Appt.:
AOS Transfer**:
Interview Date:
Approval / Denial Date:
Approved:
Got I551 Stamp:
Green card Received:
Comments: Angry white men be like

xfarp.jpg

Timeline
14 minutes ago, green_rabbit said:

"It is only with DHS authorization that this SSN is valid for work."

Quantifier scope ambiguity is fun. (I am a linguist.)

This. This.is.how.it.needs.to.be. 

7 minutes ago, neoblast said:

A clearer statement would be: SSN REQUIRES DHS AUTHORIZATION FOR WORK" or "SSN NOT VALID FOR WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION". 

There's a bit of an ambiguity with the statement when it's not read properly. 

Correct. I realize that there isn’t a lot of space but this would have been clearer. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, randomstairs said:

It would need to be longer but because I understand that space is limited. If I had to keep it down to something shorter I would say “Only valid for work with DHS authorization.” Or “Valid for work with DHS authorization”. I feel like the “only” doesn’t necessarily need to be there. But if I had more space I’d use what @green_rabbitand @neoblast said. 

My first thought when I read it was that it was just for work and that I may not be able to get other stuff with it. I probably overthought stuff. I tend to do that. Deconstruct the sentence and find all sorts of meaning in it. Which is why I did ask this question on here. 

3 hours ago, randomstairs said:

I've worked in comms for years, both in corporate and as an editor. There's nothing wrong with the sentence as it is - it's grammatically correct and clear in meaning.

For the sentence to be read 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'  there would need to be a comma after the word 'only' - that's how you would emphasize the section in bold, to be read in that way. As there's no comma, that means it means it should be read as you've written for your second example.

Edited by Zoeeeeeee

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I've worked in comms for years, both in corporate and as an editor. There's nothing wrong with the sentence as it is - it's grammatically correct and clear in meaning.

For the sentence to be read 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'  there would need to be a comma after the word 'only' - that's how you would emphasize the section in bold, to be read in that way. As there's no comma, that means it means it should be read as you've written for your second example.

It doesn’t sound awkward? I feel like it sounds awkward and could have been written better. Also in comms. 

1 minute ago, KristineGB said:

It doesn’t sound awkward? I feel like it sounds awkward and could have been written better. Also in comms. 

It's awkward to a degree - but that's only because it's written in 'corporate-speak'...which, from Social Security, DMV, UCSIS, etc, I'd expect. Obviously the key focus for many companies, particularly those that are customer and retail-centric, is using what my employer charmingly called 'genuinely helpful language'...but for a lot of industries, they just don't care. 

If I was proofing their cards, sure, I'd flag it for being too formal/corporate...but grammatically, it's accurate. 

I guess we should just be glad they didn't find a way to include 'ensure' in that sentence too...🤣 (can never resist a comms 101 joke).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

It's awkward to a degree - but that's only because it's written in 'corporate-speak'...which, from Social Security, DMV, UCSIS, etc, I'd expect. Obviously the key focus for many companies, particularly those that are customer and retail-centric, is using what my employer charmingly called 'genuinely helpful language'...but for a lot of industries, they just don't care. 

If I was proofing their cards, sure, I'd flag it for being too formal/corporate...but grammatically, it's accurate. 

I guess we should just be glad they didn't find a way to include 'ensure' in that sentence too...🤣 (can never resist a comms 101 joke).

Lol! Good one. 

Yeah maybe that is what it is. I have a broadcast  journalism background but I’m not an editor and while I do write, I am not great at grammar rules per se. I mean I’m pretty good at being grammatically correct but if you asked me to explain by providing grammatical rules, I won’t be able to. I am a bookworm and most of how I write and edit is based on gut feel. So admittedly, I was not 100% sure that the sentence structure was incorrect. I was only 90% convinced. Haha. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.