Captain Ewok

Immigration agency seeks bailout, plans to charge more for visa applications

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

"The federal agency responsible for processing visa and asylum requests has requested $1.2 billion from Congress due to lost revenue during the coronavirus pandemic.  US Citizenship and Immigration Services, a part of the Department of Homeland Security, notified Congress of its projected budget shortfall on Friday, an agency spokesperson said. Additionally, the agency is proposing a 10% surcharge on application fees to reimburse taxpayers.

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, USCIS has seen a dramatic decrease in revenue and is seeking a one-time emergency request for funding," the spokesperson said in part.

The immigration agency is primarily fee-funded and typically continues most operations during lapses in funding, such as last year's government shutdown. However, during the pandemic the agency suspended its in-person services, including all interviews and naturalization ceremonies.  USCIS estimates that application and petition receipts will drop by approximately 61% through the end of the fiscal year, exhausting funding this summer.

The agency's depleted funds are the inevitable result of the administration's policies that decreased the number of petitions -- and thus fees -- received by USCIS, said Sarah Pierce, a policy analyst for the US Immigration Policy Program at the Migration Policy Institute."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/politics/uscis-emergency-funding-coronavirus/index.html

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I knew this was coming, I just commented on it about a week ago....that once travel and bans are lifted immigration will come with a heavy fee. 

Hi there Cap🤩🤩 @Captain Ewok

Edited by Sparkle Sparkle

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Given this situation, would it be possible they would try to continue the interview waivers they have been doing?  I know it is not for certain, just getting some opinions.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

They're starting to lay off contractors. Expect wait times to increase dramatically.

"About 1,000 employees in the Kansas City area working for the National Benefits Center, an agency under the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, received notice on Friday that their jobs face elimination in what would be one of the largest mass layoffs of the year for the region."

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article242937081.html

Edited by sl1pstream

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.