Jump to content
Rosie91

Entered the USA before corona outbreak

17 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

Not sure if there is already a topic opened about this. I booked my trip to the US on January 28th. Me and my husband (US citizen) stayed with my family in law in Florida, entered the usa on March 2nd.  From that day the Corona started to spread heavily and it resulted in to a canceled flight back home. There were no direct flights back home (netherlands) I either had to stop in Mexico or Spain, which I didn't feel comfortable with. ( I don't want to be stuck in a another country). We decided to travel up to New Jersey. New York offered direct flights back home. I booked one for the 3rd of April. You can guess, canceled. Now the spread has even gotten worse here in New Jersey, but also in my country. Everyone says the best thing for me to do is to stay until it gets better and I don't feel comfortable flying now at all. But I have to leave the country by June 2nd (ESTA). Since we have a pending CR1 visa, I don't want to overstay. But what happens if I get sick or there will be a complete Lockdown, here or in the Netherlands. Crossing the boarding in Canada or Mexico is impossible, they wont let you cross now. Anyone with a similar story with more answers than me? Please help me out.


Feb 14 2019: Send I-130(a)
Feb 19 2019: Delivered

Feb 21 2019: Received NOA1 assigned to Nebraska Service Center

Oct 2 2019: Send I-129F

Oct 7th 2019: Delivered

Oct: 11th 2019: Received NOA1

March 30th 2020: I-130 Approved 

April 13th 2020: Case received by the NVC

May 1st 2020: NVC Welcome email received

May 1st 2020: Paid Bills, processed on May 5th 2020

May 15th 2020: First initial submission

May 26th 2020: Final submission

June 1st 2020: DQ NVC

Waiting for interview letter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rosie91 said:

Hi everyone,

 

Not sure if there is already a topic opened about this. I booked my trip to the US on January 28th. Me and my husband (US citizen) stayed with my family in law in Florida, entered the usa on March 2nd.  From that day the Corona started to spread heavily and it resulted in to a canceled flight back home. There were no direct flights back home (netherlands) I either had to stop in Mexico or Spain, which I didn't feel comfortable with. ( I don't want to be stuck in a another country). We decided to travel up to New Jersey. New York offered direct flights back home. I booked one for the 3rd of April. You can guess, canceled. Now the spread has even gotten worse here in New Jersey, but also in my country. Everyone says the best thing for me to do is to stay until it gets better and I don't feel comfortable flying now at all. But I have to leave the country by June 2nd (ESTA). Since we have a pending CR1 visa, I don't want to overstay. But what happens if I get sick or there will be a complete Lockdown, here or in the Netherlands. Crossing the boarding in Canada or Mexico is impossible, they wont let you cross now. Anyone with a similar story with more answers than me? Please help me out.

Not a similar situation (I'm actually trying to leave the US to be with my husband abroad while we are waiting for embassies to re-open, but with similar little success on travels so far hehe), but there are two things that you can consider.

1/ If you need to go back home, you can reach out to the dutch embassy and they might be able to help. Most countries organize flights in the current situation, to bring "stranded" citizens home.

2/ If you are OK staying in the US for some time (say 8 months or so, depends on processing times), you could file I-485 for adjustment of status, and along with that you can file for employment authorization and advance parole (which, after approval, allows you to travel). Note on this option - while totally legitimate since you can prove that you had no intend to adjust status when you entered the US - you would abandon the application if you decide to travel after filing, before advance parole gets approved.

 

I hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/germany-charters-30-times-more-rescue-flights-for-citizens-than-uk

 

This mentions the major effort Germany is undertaking to repatriate its Citizens, I would anticipate Holland is doing the same. 2 couples I know recently flew back to the UK from Florida so there are some flights.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boiler said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/germany-charters-30-times-more-rescue-flights-for-citizens-than-uk

 

This mentions the major effort Germany is undertaking to repatriate its Citizens, I would anticipate Holland is doing the same. 2 couples I know recently flew back to the UK from Florida so there are some flights.

They do, the flights are super expensive (2000/4000$), and I already booked one and it got canceled. I only want a direct flight home. I don't mind staying longer, we have a place to stay and it prevent me and my hubby from being apart during these crazy times. Also I just don't feel comfortable traveling from one epi center to another. My issue is, what if I do get it and I would be sick for weeks, and than I need to overstay. My intention is to fly back in a month from now, when the prizes aren't that crazy and maybe things are looking a little bit better.

12 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

Not a similar situation (I'm actually trying to leave the US to be with my husband abroad while we are waiting for embassies to re-open, but with similar little success on travels so far hehe), but there are two things that you can consider.

1/ If you need to go back home, you can reach out to the dutch embassy and they might be able to help. Most countries organize flights in the current situation, to bring "stranded" citizens home.

2/ If you are OK staying in the US for some time (say 8 months or so, depends on processing times), you could file I-485 for adjustment of status, and along with that you can file for employment authorization and advance parole (which, after approval, allows you to travel). Note on this option - while totally legitimate since you can prove that you had no intend to adjust status when you entered the US - you would abandon the application if you decide to travel after filing, before advance parole gets approved.

 

I hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing this. I might try both options.


Feb 14 2019: Send I-130(a)
Feb 19 2019: Delivered

Feb 21 2019: Received NOA1 assigned to Nebraska Service Center

Oct 2 2019: Send I-129F

Oct 7th 2019: Delivered

Oct: 11th 2019: Received NOA1

March 30th 2020: I-130 Approved 

April 13th 2020: Case received by the NVC

May 1st 2020: NVC Welcome email received

May 1st 2020: Paid Bills, processed on May 5th 2020

May 15th 2020: First initial submission

May 26th 2020: Final submission

June 1st 2020: DQ NVC

Waiting for interview letter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you overstay your VWP then you would need a Visa to be able to visit again.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Rosie91 said:

 

Thanks for sharing this. I might try both options.

The thing is, and I tried to explain this but might not have done a great job: It's either or. Going after both options is not really an option:

If you decide to opt for Adjustment of Status, you will change the process from CR1/IR1 (consular processing via NVC) to Adjustment from within the US via NBC (national benefits center). If you then decide to leave before you either have advance parole, or greencard in hand, your process is considered abandoned and you'll have to re-file from outside the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quarknase said:

The thing is, and I tried to explain this but might not have done a great job: It's either or. Going after both options is not really an option:

If you decide to opt for Adjustment of Status, you will change the process from CR1/IR1 (consular processing via NVC) to Adjustment from within the US via NBC (national benefits center). If you then decide to leave before you either have advance parole, or greencard in hand, your process is considered abandoned and you'll have to re-file from outside the country.

No worries! Haha, i did understand. I mend I am going to explore both options. Maybe there is a possibility that they can change it to a b2 too.


Feb 14 2019: Send I-130(a)
Feb 19 2019: Delivered

Feb 21 2019: Received NOA1 assigned to Nebraska Service Center

Oct 2 2019: Send I-129F

Oct 7th 2019: Delivered

Oct: 11th 2019: Received NOA1

March 30th 2020: I-130 Approved 

April 13th 2020: Case received by the NVC

May 1st 2020: NVC Welcome email received

May 1st 2020: Paid Bills, processed on May 5th 2020

May 15th 2020: First initial submission

May 26th 2020: Final submission

June 1st 2020: DQ NVC

Waiting for interview letter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Rosie91 said:

 Maybe there is a possibility that they can change it to a b2 too.

You are here on the VWP, not possible.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rosie91 said:

No worries! Haha, i did understand. I mend I am going to explore both options. Maybe there is a possibility that they can change it to a b2 too.

Have you considered flying to Frankfurt and taking Deutsche Bahn from there? I'm German and I was just looking at flights today - you'll get nonstop from Newark to Frankfurt for approx. $400 - daily. And I have seen photos taken by friends - German trains are empty at the moment :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Rosie91 said:

No worries! Haha, i did understand. I mend I am going to explore both options. Maybe there is a possibility that they can change it to a b2 too.

As noted, no COS is available for VWP entrants. It's AOS or leave.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent

12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rosie91 said:

My intention is to fly back in a month from now, when the prizes aren't that crazy and maybe things are looking a little bit better.

Thanks for sharing this. I might try both options.

Some countries are ending their repatriation efforts, so such a flight may or may not exist, and won't necessarily be cheaper/direct if it does exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now Atlanta has a flight out tomorrow to Amsterdam. If you are really looking to get back then I would lookup inbound flights to the airports in the Netherlands and see which ones are still running. Book off of that info. Flightradar24 is helpful.

B2C2BF67-D3D9-414C-A522-E259C2048AB2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, We called the embassy, ICE and ended up with the USCIS.

I finally have some answers, so for the ones that are looking for it too, here we go.

 

Normally: Extend your trip on a ESTA or Visa waiver can not be extended. We all knew this already.

HOWEVER: Due to the virus they have an exception. If you entered/booked your trip before the outbreak (which we did) and you have the intention to leave, by booking a ticket, show that your employed or have a house/rental in your own country, they can now give you an extension of 30 days on top of the 90 days. The USCIS will decided your eligibility within 48 hours. There is no online form you can fill in, you simple have to call the USCIS and schedule a phone appointment with one of the consultants. 

 

Everyone thank you for your help! It's not that we cannot fly back, we just don't feel comfortable yet and we can stay here with family as long as we need.

 

Mystery solved.

Edited by Rosie91

Feb 14 2019: Send I-130(a)
Feb 19 2019: Delivered

Feb 21 2019: Received NOA1 assigned to Nebraska Service Center

Oct 2 2019: Send I-129F

Oct 7th 2019: Delivered

Oct: 11th 2019: Received NOA1

March 30th 2020: I-130 Approved 

April 13th 2020: Case received by the NVC

May 1st 2020: NVC Welcome email received

May 1st 2020: Paid Bills, processed on May 5th 2020

May 15th 2020: First initial submission

May 26th 2020: Final submission

June 1st 2020: DQ NVC

Waiting for interview letter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...