portorusa

AOS while on ESTA?

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, portorusa said:

What bothers me is the need to travel during corona.

If he adjusts status now, why would he need to travel?

Would his situation qualify for him to return sooner, by being married to a U.S. citizen, if he were to travel back to France to get his visa?  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It would qualify him to enter the US, spouse of USC's get a pass.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

37 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It would qualify him to enter the US, spouse of USC's get a pass.

That’s what I thought. In that case, if it were me, I would get my visa ASAP. However, I think their decision has already been made for him to say. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Diane and Chris said:

That’s what I thought. In that case, if it were me, I would get my visa ASAP. However, I think their decision has already been made for him to say. 

I think you are correct.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

I think you are correct.

Looks that way, but even though the US would let him in, there needs to be an available flight too or he's stuck.  I'm a US Citizen.  The US will let me in.  There are no available flights from my location at this time.  Fortunately, I don't need to travel.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
8 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Looks that way, but even though the US would let him in, there needs to be an available flight too or he's stuck.  I'm a US Citizen.  The US will let me in.  There are no available flights from my location at this time.  Fortunately, I don't need to travel.

Exactly our concern. The situation changes so quickly it’s impossible to plan anything. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

He's here, you can file AOS if you want to, sounds like you both know of the disadvantages of that, most likely a very long wait for AP/EAD given the situation now and the USCIS backlog that will surely slow things down even more in the coming months.  If he is OK with the long period of time not able to work or leave the country, go for it.  At least you're together.  Good luck whichever way you choose to go!

19 hours ago, portorusa said:

Exactly our concern. The situation changes so quickly it’s impossible to plan anything. 

How long has it been since his medical exam?

While it doesnt bother you that he cant try to work you said it bothered him.  That should be taken into consideration.  I dont think so many Americans realized how frustrating it is not to work until we've been told to stay home.  Now its only been a few weeks, but imagine MONTHS of forced stay at home measures.  Cabin fever is a real thing. Just getting outside doesnt necessarily help. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Yes, we realize it will be a torture of another long wait. Especially now when the immigrant visa is literally within a reach. It’s already 15 months since we started the process. The Embassy screwed us royally on a long AP due to a missing document. Otherwise my husband could have been a permanent resident since last December.

Another email from Embassy says they are extremely understaffed but will try to issue the visa ASAP if my husband delivers it personally.

His medical will expire on May 18. His ESTA stay ends on May 9. We decided to do nothing at the moment, and just wait a little to see if the situation in France gets better. 

2 hours ago, portorusa said:

Yes, we realize it will be a torture of another long wait. Especially now when the immigrant visa is literally within a reach. It’s already 15 months since we started the process. The Embassy screwed us royally on a long AP due to a missing document. Otherwise my husband could have been a permanent resident since last December.

Another email from Embassy says they are extremely understaffed but will try to issue the visa ASAP if my husband delivers it personally.

His medical will expire on May 18. His ESTA stay ends on May 9. We decided to do nothing at the moment, and just wait a little to see if the situation in France gets better. 

TBH I hope it does get better by then. I honestly think the CR1/IR1 is your better option.  But the choice is yours (both of yours.)  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I am visiting my husband in Guam with ESTA, I looked and if you are under visa waiver system, you can extend it up to 30 days by law. it's legal if you sign up some papers. (google covid19 esta) 

I was going to do that as my flight back as canceled as well. But somehow my country sent a flight here to grab everyone who are stucked. so I figured there is no reason to say 'I can't leave' to  USCIS...

I bet there are tones of people in the same situation. But I decided not to risk the possibility of staying together forever than staying together for few more days. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.