CarolynSian

Claiming Unemployment as an Immigrant

75 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
2 hours ago, milimelo said:

Based on what? No work history?  No, as a new LPR you're not entitled to government benefits. Your sponsor signed I-864 to take care of you - so go to that person. Additionally, perhaps stop studying for something that won't put food on the table now and get a job - lots of businesses hiring. 

Wow, calm down

11 minutes ago, mazenkanso said:

Wow, calm down

As a note, Unemployment Insurance is not a government benefit.  It's an insurance program that you pay into to receive out of.  Without paying in, you cannot receive out. 

Grocery stores, hardware stores, and I'm sure automotive stores are hiring right now in droves.  You may want to try those.  I don't think the real estate market is going well for a while, which sucks for people like me who were thinking of moving this year. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

As a note, Unemployment Insurance is not a government benefit.  It's an insurance program that you pay into to receive out of.  Without paying in, you cannot receive out. 

Grocery stores, hardware stores, and I'm sure automotive stores are hiring right now in droves.  You may want to try those.  I don't think the real estate market is going well for a while, which sucks for people like me who were thinking of moving this year. 

Thankyou for this advice, 

Hi,

I need some advice.

Context:

I'm from North Carolina and got a job offer last December here in Tennessee. I relocated for the job but got laid off because of the coronavirus situation. My last official date of work was yesterday so I haven't even been working for 3 months but got laid off. We still have leftover debt from our move here and now living off my husband's paycheck which is not enough for us to stay here so I need financial assistance while I look for another job here.

I just filed for unemployment and I get this email:

image.png.004f0966601698f47ec0e3b9dad96f2e.png

Does this mean I'm not eligible for anything? Does anyone have any advice? This is stressing me out

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, ortizan said:

Hi,

I need some advice.

Context:

I'm from North Carolina and got a job offer last December here in Tennessee. I relocated for the job but got laid off because of the coronavirus situation. My last official date of work was yesterday so I haven't even been working for 3 months but got laid off. We still have leftover debt from our move here and now living off my husband's paycheck which is not enough for us to stay here so I need financial assistance while I look for another job here.

Does this mean I'm not eligible for anything? Does anyone have any advice? This is stressing me out

Employers report quarterly,  your employer has not reported any wages for you yet.  Your state should have alternate wage verification procedures 

YMMV

On 3/15/2020 at 9:24 PM, geowrian said:

Unemployment is an insurance program that you pay into.

OP is in Washington. Note that only three states (Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) assess unemployment taxes on employees.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:28 AM, geowrian said:

If you pay into it, you can use it.

I'm obviously not referring to OP, but not every worker is eligible for UI. Even in uber-liberal California there are rigid requirements. For example, compare that state's Unemployment Insurance to it's lax Disability Insurance; i.e. California workers without DHS work authorization can only claim Disability and Paid Family Leave benefits.

Unemployment: https://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQ_-_Eligibility.htm "Note: The EDD verifies immigration status and work authorization through the Department of Homeland Security."

Disability: https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/FAQ_DI_Eligibility.htm "Citizenship and immigration status do not affect eligibility."

Edited by HRQX

5 minutes ago, HRQX said:

OP is in Washington. Note that only three states (Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) assess unemployment taxes on employees.

I'm in one for those. :P

But yes, this has been noted in future remarks already. 👍

5 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I'm obviously not referring to OP, but not every worker is eligible for UI. Even in uber-liberal California there are rigid requirements. For example, compare that state's Unemployment Insurance to it's lax Disability Insurance; i.e. California workers without DHS work authorization can only claim Disability and Paid Family Leave benefits.

Unemployment: https://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQ_-_Eligibility.htm "Note: The EDD verifies immigration status and work authorization through the Department of Homeland Security."

Disability: https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/FAQ_DI_Eligibility.htm "Citizenship and immigration status do not affect eligibility."

Correct. These were general points as they relate to the OP, the specific programs define the actual requirements.

For instance, one common requirements is being available for work, which is interpreted as being able to legally obtain said work if it became available. So while immigration status itself is not the restriction, work authorization would be.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

When I check my status for unemployment I get the notification that my eligibility is pending determination.

What does this mean?

I'm in Georgia by the way.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

2 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

It means that they're slammed and it will take them a while to get to your case. 

Okay so it's not because of me being a Green Card holder...

ROC Timeline

1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

Definitely not, I've received unemployment with a green card before, no problems. They only asked me to send them a copy of my green card. 

Our office manager did that for me. Well, my Green Card and my extension letter is what she sent as proof.

Had no idea it would take that long...

ROC Timeline

14 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

Yeah, unfortunately there are too many claims right now. 

I know. Just hoping they will process mine soon. 😕

ROC Timeline

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
On 4/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, ortizan said:

Hi,

I need some advice.

Context:

Hi @ortizan, you may be eligible for unemployment in North Carolina if you worked there previously. Have you reached out to them?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.