199 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, YvetteS said:

Does your partners Canadian National Health Insurance cover him whilst in the USA? If yes, this may be OK as it states that foreign health insurance is an acceptable form of health insurance, but it would have to cover him in America. I have personally sought Global Health Insurance with Cigna which covers me in the US (I am not 100% sure if this is OK, but I strongly believe it will be and am willing to take the risk). Alternatively go on Healthcare.gov to get a U.S based health plan. You can get the policy for the both of you.

English Language: I am the applicant for our I-944 and I have a degree from Australia. I personally do not have access to my Highschool certificate right now so I am just going to include my evaluation for my university degree and hope it is enough. I think I will also include a letter stating I do not have my highschool certificate but direct them to the fact that I had my university degree evaluated and a pre-requisite to get into that was my Highschool certificate.

In regards to liabilities and debts it only wants that of the non U.S. citizen (applicant), so you would not have to list your debts.

I hope that helps!

Re health insurance-

I Considered Cygna intl as well - but 2 things warranted me to seek elsewhere.

the fact that I would still be charged the Nit having a US health insurance penalty tax 

my US - wife would not be able to be covered on this plan - 

otherwise it looked like a grand plan 

11 minutes ago, Viking said:

Re health insurance-

I Considered Cygna intl as well - but 2 things warranted me to seek elsewhere.

the fact that I would still be charged the Nit having a US health insurance penalty tax 

my US - wife would not be able to be covered on this plan - 

otherwise it looked like a grand plan 

Hi Viking!

It is my understanding that the Federal U.S. health insurance penalty tax is no longer in effect for 2019 taxes. However, each state may have other penalties in place (not sure state to state is there are still penalties)

And yes, unfortunately U.S. citizens are not eligible for this plan.

Hi everyone, I want to ask regarding tax return. 

Is filing with 2018 IRS tax transcript as the latest one enough? I'm also aware that the deadline to file 2019 tax return has been extended to July, but in the I-944 form, do we need to provide more information regarding that or will USCIS be accepting? (This is all my husband's)

I'm still reviewing my AOS packet and a lot in the I-944 form causes confusion and delay.

image.png.925514040df39c7d6647e4753ed03aa0.png

Edited by MJAK
K-1                                AOS/EAD/AP - PENDING
NOA1 Notice Date  : 2019-07-05     NOA1 Notice Date          : 2020-05-03
NOA2 Date         : 2019-09-27     RFE for I-485 in Mail     : 2020-05-28
Arrived at NVC    : 2019-10-29     RFE Response Sent to USCIS: 2020-05-29
Arrived in Embassy: 2019-11-14     RFE Received by USCIS     : 2020-06-02
Interview date    : 2020-01-14       
Visa issued       : 2020-01-17
POE               : 2020-03-05
Wedding           : 2020-03-31

Timeline
16 minutes ago, MJAK said:

Is filing with 2018 IRS tax transcript as the latest one enough? I'm also aware that the deadline to file 2019 tax return has been extended to July, but in the I-944 form, do we need to provide more information regarding that or will USCIS be accepting? (This is all my husband's)

I'm still reviewing my AOS packet and a lot in the I-944 form causes confusion and delay.

I would tick - plan to file before the Due date for this year 

Filed: Timeline
17 hours ago, MJAK said:

imo your answer should be 'NO' because the follow up check boxes is for a 'NO' answer.

Below 'NO' then you can check 'Plan to file the tax return before due date for this year.'

Federal tax Year: 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey everyone, 

Newbie here, however I have been going through this process by myself. 

I found a great resource online that anyone filing an AOS with form i-944 should look at:

It's a reference document for immigration lawyers, but it does clear up a lot of questions that I had and you probably have regarding form i-944. 

Cheers!

The USCIS Policy Manual on Public Charge Summary for Immigration Practitioners.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, pperry said:

I figure I'll throw a few more questions to the pot, after having diligently read all of these pages for the answers I seek...

My husband has been coming in and out of the states for the past year and a half as a B2 Visitor, we are just now (re)sending in our concurrent AOS package. Funnily, we originally sent it in BEFORE the I-944 became mandatory, but then post office or someone messed up found our 485 pack loose in the mail. Just as well as the I-130 was rejected because my checks were misprinted... So now we have to do the I-944. Boo.

Questions:

Health Insurance : Do you think putting Canadian National Health will suffice? Or should I get a travel insurance package for him? I do not have insurance myself, as I work in hospitality. Well. Worked. Furloughed presently..

English language : He is from Manitoba, Canada, where most people speak English... We were just going to get his college transcripts evaluated, but apparently they don't TAKE English in college there so they are useless for this. I hope to be able to obtain his high school transcripts but he graduated in 1989... So the question is - do we think that for applicants from English speaking countries they'll be more lenient on this one??

Liabilities : The language is unclear. Is it just (the applicant) His liabilities they want? I just sort of don't feel like my $140K in student loans will help anything...

I'll leave it at that for now?

1) You would have to purchase health insurance for your partner in the USA.

2) Does your partner have his high school transcript? It will show English 11/12 and that should be good.

3) Liabilities would be on his side only so he will need to list all, not yours. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

What Evidence did you all provide or are planning to provide to prove that you are not eligible for the public benefits in the future? The Instruction says the following?

image.thumb.png.5b66a049acacc14593b27f701ac62cbb.png

2 hours ago, Rambava said:

What Evidence did you all provide or are planning to provide to prove that you are not eligible for the public benefits in the future? The Instruction says the following?

image.thumb.png.5b66a049acacc14593b27f701ac62cbb.png

It says you 'may' provide evidence but don't necessarily have to. I would like to think that submitting 3 years worth of my husband's IRS tax transcripts shows that for a household of two he is well and truly above the poverty line, which would make it very difficult to get approved for many benefits. 

Perhaps if you wanted to provide some evidence you could go through the list of benefits listed and contact the local respective agency and ask for a letter that you are not eligible? 

Or you could look up a federal/state/local website for the respective website and screenshot their 'eligibility criteria' and show you don't qualify. 

All just food for thought. 

I mailed my AOS package out yesterday and did not to include any evidence for this sections... I'll keep you posted if I get my NOA1 or not 😄

Hi all, 

Can anyone help me, I have a quick question about Part 3, Question 1: Household Income. 

For the following question, I am unsure what to put:

Did you or your household member(s), whose income is being included, file a federal tax return?

I am currently in the US as a K1, I married my american wife and we are finishing up our AOS package. 

Does this refer to a US tax return? Obviously my wife will be including her most recent tax return, so should I answer this question yes? and then tick the box that says "Not required to file a tax return" and explain I am not a US citizen. I find the way this has been worded confusing. I will include my most recent UK tax return. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

Can anyone help me, I have a quick question about Part 3, Question 1: Household Income. 

For the following question, I am unsure what to put:

Did you or your household member(s), whose income is being included, file a federal tax return?

I am currently in the US as a K1, I married my american wife and we are finishing up our AOS package. 

Does this refer to a US tax return? Obviously my wife will be including her most recent tax return, so should I answer this question yes? and then tick the box that says "Not required to file a tax return" and explain I am not a US citizen. I find the way this has been worded confusing. I will include my most recent UK tax return. 

Submit any tax transcripts for any income taxes that you or your household members filed with any foreign government if you or your household members were residing outside of the United States during any time within the most recent tax year and you were not required to file a federal individual income tax return with the United States government.

i-944instr-pc.pdf?download=1

Hi there,

i am curious if the 12 months of bank statements need to be translated? I mean all of the pages? Because some monthly statements are 8+ pages and as I have 2 accounts that would be 192+ pages.

Thanks in advance.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, 19jimmybean said:

Hi there,

i am curious if the 12 months of bank statements need to be translated? I mean all of the pages? Because some monthly statements are 8+ pages and as I have 2 accounts that would be 192+ pages.

Thanks in advance.

•  

You need to translate them - you can do it yourself if you are able to- 

I used google translate to get the bulk of the text translated from my online bank statements 

then filled in the gaps and wrote a statement 

i also hot my bank to send a statement  in English about my ownership of the accounts as well as the current balances

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Submit any tax transcripts for any income taxes that you or your household members filed with any foreign government if you or your household members were residing outside of the United States during any time within the most recent tax year and you were not required to file a federal individual income tax return with the United States government.

i-944instr-pc.pdf?download=1

So would you answer yes or no?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.