199 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So this form, wants tax returns and credit scores, and debts, and assets and benefits -- Which I understand, but, if I only just moved to the US, and don't have a credit score, never did US tax returns, obviously don't have any US debts or benefits, or assets, or pretty much any income because I am waiting for my EAD to work to make any sort of income, what am I to put for any of these answers?

Do I put 0/NA or am I putting all the info from my SO and all their stuff?

OR can I just give them all my Canadian versions of these things (tax returns, credit score etc)?

I don't apply for AOS for another few months, but looking at it for future reference gives me a headache 'cause I won't have any of these things. Are not having these things just going to get me denied, even though its not my fault we can't have most of this automatically?

42 minutes ago, Zaraliaya said:

So this form, wants tax returns and credit scores, and debts, and assets and benefits -- Which I understand, but, if I only just moved to the US, and don't have a credit score, never did US tax returns, obviously don't have any US debts or benefits, or assets, or pretty much any income because I am waiting for my EAD to work to make any sort of income, what am I to put for any of these answers?

Do I put 0/NA or am I putting all the info from my SO and all their stuff?

OR can I just give them all my Canadian versions of these things (tax returns, credit score etc)?

I don't apply for AOS for another few months, but looking at it for future reference gives me a headache 'cause I won't have any of these things. Are not having these things just going to get me denied, even though its not my fault we can't have most of this automatically?

These are good questions, and I'm curious to see the responses.  Those of us adjusting from K-1 have a different situation than other groups using this form as well. 

It's tricky because since this form literally only became required today, there are no people that came before us to share experiences and give advice.  The first of us that send it in will be the people to be able to share experiences about how things turned out.

However, it does seem that people with lots of experience on the site/forum are better at interpreting directions and might be able to share opinions that come from a more educated place than those of us doing all of this for the first time!   

I know I am no help at all with my reply but I just wanted to say that this topic is so relatable to me. I can't wait for answers too. It's stressful because since it's new we basically won't know what mistakes to avoid until some of us make the mistakes unfortunately.

A lot of the questions concern items that require to have a SSN and since some of us don't have one yet, it will be hard to provide evidence. 

I am on this situation as well. I am still outside the US but will be using my K-1 visa next month, and I am also already preparing for my AOS as soon as I am ready.

Here are my initial thoughts on some of the questions in I-944:

a. Health insurance - it is better if you will be added in your spouse's insurance if that's possible. Otherwise, you may opt to buy one out of pocket

b. US Federal Tax returns - I think it would be understandable if we indicate we haven't filed any tax returns for the obvious reason that we just recently arrived in the US and most of us would not have any work (or even SSN). There is a section where you can explain why you haven't filed your taxes from the previous year

c. Credit score - same as above it is understandable that we will not have US credit scores if we just recently arrived in the US. But in the questionnaire it specifically mentioned that if we don't have a credit score we should provide  evidence that indeed we have none. I think this evidence can be obtained from any of the three credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. (https://www.usa.gov/credit-reports) I tried online and all are getting error which I suppose that means I don't have credit score, and the results can be requested via mail. Another option, if already possible, is to provide evidence of continued payment of bills if there is no credit report or credit score - perhaps your mobile phone utility bills etc.

d. Financial assets - on top of the financial assets of my USC spouse/sponsor, I am also planning to include mine as well, like my foreign savings accounts, foreign investments, etc. It would be in foreign currency, yes, but you can easily convert them to USD and besides, the more assets you can present, the better chance that the adjudicating officer will see your application positively.

e. English proficiency/education/skills - I am coming from a non-English country but the language of instruction in our school/college is in English so I don't have English language course certificates. What I think can prove my English proficiency is by providing my transcript of records when I was in college and highlight the English courses I took. And again, I would still be jobless the first few months after I arrive in the US as I will still be waiting for my EAD (note: I really do hope that DHS would see this ambiguity!) and therefore cannot answer that I have a job, but luckily I have some professional certifications which I am planning to submit as well just to prove that I am a skilled professional and would have better chances to land a job when I am already legally able.

These are just my twopence. I am not saying these are correct and will work out as we are the lucky guinea pigs that will undergo the public charge rule - and we might not see any results from other AOS applicants until after 5-8 months when they've received their decision/results!

Edited by silvertruck

2016-04-22     Met in NJ, USA

2019-01-16     Engagement

K-1                                                                             AOS                                                                        ROC

2019-05-22     I-129F Submission                              2020-05-22    I-485/I-765/I-131 Submission       2023-03-07   I-751 Submission

2019-06-19     NOA1 received                                     2020-06-04    NOA1 received                                   2023-03-08  NOA1 received

2019-09-19     NOA2 received                                     2021-02-25    I-765/I-131 (APPROVED)

2020-01-16     Embassy interview (APPROVED)      2021-04-30    I-485 (APPROVED)

2020-03-15     US POE (JFK)

2020-04-09     Wedding

6 hours ago, silvertruck said:

I am on this situation as well. I am still outside the US but will be using my K-1 visa next month, and I am also already preparing for my AOS as soon as I am ready.

Here are my initial thoughts on some of the questions in I-944:

a. Health insurance - it is better if you will be added in your spouse's insurance if that's possible. Otherwise, you may opt to buy one out of pocket

b. US Federal Tax returns - I think it would be understandable if we indicate we haven't filed any tax returns for the obvious reason that we just recently arrived in the US and most of us would not have any work (or even SSN). There is a section where you can explain why you haven't filed your taxes from the previous year

c. Credit score - same as above it is understandable that we will not have US credit scores if we just recently arrived in the US. But in the questionnaire it specifically mentioned that if we don't have a credit score we should provide  evidence that indeed we have none. I think this evidence can be obtained from any of the three credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. (https://www.usa.gov/credit-reports) I tried online and all are getting error which I suppose that means I don't have credit score, and the results can be requested via mail. Another option, if already possible, is to provide evidence of continued payment of bills if there is no credit report or credit score - perhaps your mobile phone utility bills etc.

d. Financial assets - on top of the financial assets of my USC spouse/sponsor, I am also planning to include mine as well, like my foreign savings accounts, foreign investments, etc. It would be in foreign currency, yes, but you can easily convert them to USD and besides, the more assets you can present, the better chance that the adjudicating officer will see your application positively.

e. English proficiency/education/skills - I am coming from a non-English country but the language of instruction in our school/college is in English so I don't have English language course certificates. What I think can prove my English proficiency is by providing my transcript of records when I was in college and highlight the English courses I took. And again, I would still be jobless the first few months after I arrive in the US as I will still be waiting for my EAD (note: I really do hope that DHS would see this ambiguity!) and therefore cannot answer that I have a job, but luckily I have some professional certifications which I am planning to submit as well just to prove that I am a skilled professional and would have better chances to land a job when I am already legally able.

These are just my twopence. I am not saying these are correct and will work out as we are the lucky guinea pigs that will undergo the public charge rule - and we might not see any results from other AOS applicants until after 5-8 months when they've received their decision/results!

Do you have a SSN? I mean, how did you try to get your credit report online? When I try, it tells me that SSN is a required field to proceed.

6 hours ago, LBee1592 said:

Do you have a SSN? I mean, how did you try to get your credit report online? When I try, it tells me that SSN is a required field to proceed.

My husband applied for one immediately upon arriving as a K-1 and he has one.  However, I still get all of the error reports too.  It seems the best option from calling and speaking to representatives on the phone is trying to request one by mail.  They will have to send *something* back that says they can't issue one, and hopefully that can be used.  

My trouble now is that I need to prove our address as his address to request by mail and so far don't have any bills with his name. Grrr! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Just now, kec523 said:

My husband applied for one immediately upon arriving as a K-1 and he has one.  However, I still get all of the error reports too.  It seems the best option from calling and speaking to representatives on the phone is trying to request one by mail.  They will have to send *something* back that says they can't issue one, and hopefully that can be used.  

My trouble now is that I need to prove our address as his address to request by mail and so far don't have any bills with his name. Grrr! 

That's probably because the SSN is too new. It takes about 90- 120 days till that's not a problem anymore. At least I have been told so by my bank 

1 minute ago, Letspaintcookies said:

That's probably because the SSN is too new. It takes about 90- 120 days till that's not a problem anymore. At least I have been told so by my bank 

Yes, that's definitely why, which I know/understand - but it does not solve the problem of the new I-944 requirement to show proof that you do not have a credit report.  By nature of the K1, 90-120 days after getting the SSN is a much longer wait than the "comfortable" time to send in AOS paperwork. 

Yes, I have an SSN and you'll need that to check your credit score. I agree with @kec523, we still need to provide evidence that we don't have a credit report and I think a mail from any of those three bureaus certifying as such is the best way, regardless of whether we have a newly-issued SSN or not.

2016-04-22     Met in NJ, USA

2019-01-16     Engagement

K-1                                                                             AOS                                                                        ROC

2019-05-22     I-129F Submission                              2020-05-22    I-485/I-765/I-131 Submission       2023-03-07   I-751 Submission

2019-06-19     NOA1 received                                     2020-06-04    NOA1 received                                   2023-03-08  NOA1 received

2019-09-19     NOA2 received                                     2021-02-25    I-765/I-131 (APPROVED)

2020-01-16     Embassy interview (APPROVED)      2021-04-30    I-485 (APPROVED)

2020-03-15     US POE (JFK)

2020-04-09     Wedding

11 hours ago, kec523 said:

34 minutes ago, silvertruck said:

Yes, I have an SSN and you'll need that to check your credit score. I agree with @kec523, we still need to provide evidence that we don't have a credit report and I think a mail from any of those three bureaus certifying as such is the best way, regardless of whether we have a newly-issued SSN or not.

Does anybody know the different steps to request that piece of evidence by mail? (Where to send And what should we say exactly? )

On 2/24/2020 at 8:44 PM, Zaraliaya said:

This is requested for item 1. Household Income so surely they aren’t asking for the same info twice.

As far as credit score the directions say you can send past monthly bills.

”If you do not have a credit report or credit score, provide documentation that demonstrates that you do not have a credit report or score with a credit bureau. You may provide evidence of continued payment of bills if there is no credit report or credit score.” To get a paper copy I would request a credit report by mail.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0093-annual-report-request-form.pdf

Since you are a few months away don’t forget to file taxes with the appropriate health insurance forms.

”The latest Form 1095-B, Health Coverage; Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage (if available) with evidence of renewal of coverage for the current year.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, AnnaLee24 said:

This is requested for item 1. Household Income so surely they aren’t asking for the same info twice.

As far as credit score the directions say you can send past monthly bills.

”If you do not have a credit report or credit score, provide documentation that demonstrates that you do not have a credit report or score with a credit bureau. You may provide evidence of continued payment of bills if there is no credit report or credit score.” To get a paper copy I would request a credit report by mail.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0093-annual-report-request-form.pdf

Since you are a few months away don’t forget to file taxes with the appropriate health insurance forms.

”The latest Form 1095-B, Health Coverage; Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage (if available) with evidence of renewal of coverage for the current year.”

It does say it's required, but it doesn't say if they want Canadian/your home country or the US version. Not even in the instructions does it say which they want.

I'm assuming US at this point with a paper saying I don't have any credit, and just give them all my cell phone bills or something.

Same with US taxes, I'll just say I didn't file any cause I wasn't living in the US.

I hope after they receive a bunch of people with the same answers/same visa types, they'll realize that this form is kinda useless since we won't have anything, lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This topic is a concern for me as well, because if they're wanting the credit info of the USC then mine will not be good due to my first marriage/divorce. 

• 7-15-1   I-129F Sent
  • 7-17-19    I-129F Received
  • 7-22-19    NOA1
  • 10-25-19  NOA2 / Hardcopy Received 11-1-19
  • 11-7-19    NVC RECEIVED
  • 11-12-19  RECEIVED CASE #
  • 3-17-20    MEDICAL (CANCELLED) 
  • 3-30-20    INTERVIEW (CANCELLED) 
  • 6-25-20    MEDICAL (RESCHEDULED/CANCELLED/TBD)
  • 7-8-20      INTERVIEW (RESCHEDULED/CANCELLED)
  • 7-9-20   INTERVIEW (RESCHEDULED/CANCELLED/TBD)
  • ?-?-21 MEDICAL 
  • ?-?-21  INTERVIEW 

Matthew 6:33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 

Psalm 37:4,5Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. 

Genesis 2:18And the Lord God said, it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.  

event.png

1 hour ago, J&S12 said:

This topic is a concern for me as well, because if they're wanting the credit info of the USC then mine will not be good due to my first marriage/divorce. 

The form doesn't ask for the credit info for the USC, but it does want detailed information about their assets and financial resources.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.