Bjh

New wife who came on K1 visa can't get health insurance b/c of no SSN?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I was trying to get my wife on my employee health care plan when it turned out I needed her SSN to add her...for people who have gone through the K1 process/AOS, do you usually need a SSN to add your spouse to your health insurance? I really want to add her to strengthen her AOS case, I already made her an authorized user on my credit cards, added her onto one of my bank accounts, and she's on my lease now as well...

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You  need to kick it up the chain until you get to somebody who knows what they are doing.

Presumably you have applied for a SSN

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

You  need to kick it up the chain until you get to somebody who knows what they are doing.

Presumably you have applied for a SSN

Not yet, I want to show that she's on my health care plan before applying for the SSN or AOS

Timeline

SSN is pretty much the first thing people get, well leave it a week after arrival maybe to make sure you are in the system.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

SSN is pretty much the first thing people get, well leave it a week after arrival maybe to make sure you are in the system.

Don't you have to apply for the green card at the same time you apply for the SSN?

Timeline

No

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We went through the K1 process, we selected to get my SSN on the EAD application so it was a good 6 months before I got one. I didn’t need need to have a SSN to be added to my husbands health insurance. All he had to do was notify the insurance company there was a change of circumstances-we got married, and I was added immediately 

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures” to “SSNs” where this question is often asked*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

All that is needed to add a spouse to your health insurance is name, date of birth, and marriage certificate.  SSN is nice but not necessary and can be added later.

2 hours ago, Bjh said:

Ok...I have to send in the form I-765, authorization for work right? K-1 doesn't give someone the ability to work in the US AFAIK.

Hi there! K-1s do not have work authorisation, but they can apply for and receive an SSN within the 90 days as long as the process is completed a certain time before the 90 days are over (I forget how many days exactly; probably 14). I went to the SSA and applied for my SSN two days after POE and I received my card in the mail less than three weeks later with “valid for work only with DHS authorisation” written on it. Applying for an SSN is ideally the first thing one does after entering the country, even before getting married.

3 hours ago, Bjh said:

Ok...I have to send in the form I-765, authorization for work right? K-1 doesn't give someone the ability to work in the US AFAIK.

You should have gone to the SSA and had her apply for her SSN before marrying.  If you are already married, you're in a bit of a pickle.

Still, by law she does not need an SSN to be covered by health insurance.  You can add her without it, and then provide it to your employer when she gets the SSN.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

A couple things to note. First to the OP, you will need a copy of an I-94 showing legal entry of your (now) wife into the US. Second, you will need a certified copy of your marriage license, obtained from your county Register/Recorder's Office(with raised stamp!!!). This will be needed for the name change. For myself, I took my (then) fiancé to the SS office and got her number. When we returned and wanted to change the name on her SSN, we got a reply 10 days later saying that they couldn't find the necessary EA form, (because it wasn't submitted until I did an AOS along with EA and AP). So I included her number on all forms and hope they re-issue it under her married name. 

USCIS I-129F Petition:   image.png.5e26813a0fee6f4065ce829758e29731.png      

image.png.66176722dd07631b884c6730df9ff788.pngimage.png.63696e1e1440439256be59ac086d18bb.png

Dept of State K1 Visa:   image.png.9a78db6ac742a01a01d0b157963311c8.png       image.png.8b2371c75847cbfbc45e7dc896f8ba1f.pngimage.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png
USCIS I-485 Petition:   

image.png.465aaf5ca7c51799120b0fab7f99afe5.png

image.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You should have gone to the SSA and had her apply for her SSN before marrying.  If you are already married, you're in a bit of a pickle.

Still, by law she does not need an SSN to be covered by health insurance.  You can add her without it, and then provide it to your employer when she gets the SSN.

Why would it be a pickle having already married?

Also, would it be a hindrance to getting her AOS approved?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.