Siwady

URGENT: IR-1 POE Without My Spouse???

64 posts in this topic

Also...via wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance

Legal restrictions[edit]

Preclearance facilities exist because of agreements made between the U.S. federal government and the governments of the host countries. Travelers who have passed through the U.S. government checks, but whose flight or ship has not departed, remain in the legal jurisdiction of the host country. U.S. officials may question and search travelers with the passenger's permission, but they do not have powers of arrest (for customs or immigration violations or for the execution of outstanding warrants), but they can deny boarding.[citation needed]

Some countries have laws in place that specifically cover preclearance issues. Since CBP does not have legal powers on foreign soil, passengers can be arrested and detained for offences in the host country only by local authorities. Therefore, if a CBP officer has any security but non-immigration/customs-related concerns about a traveller, the attending CBP officer will need to be refer the matter to local officials. Passengers can choose to abandon their flight and refuse search, and unlike in the United States, officers cannot search them without permission. Most preclearance facilities have a sign explaining so. CBP Officers in the Preclearance Division are not armed on foreign soil.[4][5] However, it is likely that if the Canadian Parliament approves Bill C-23, CBP officers would be allowed to carry sidearms on duty in Canada if they are working in an environment in which Canada Border Services Agency officers are normally armed.[6]

So, the above suggests that it is the local authorities that you need to speak with. They are likely more readily reachable. Just a thought.

Local authorities have to also be taken into consideration.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Yep, local authorities have to also be taken into consideration, not just CPB.

The entire scenario needs to be thought through.

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

While I agree it doesnt hurt to ask, I have a really hard time believing that they would agree to this. I dont think they will allow you to go through preclearance with the explicit intention not to travel. You would then have to go back through UAE immigration. Plus there are security concerns as well. Also immigrant visas are usually issued for around 6 months (depending on the medical) so there is plenty of time for someone to have entered and activated the visa. OP you are really cutting it close on time. I would suggest you buy  ticket for you are your wife immediately and either one or both of you can return to Abu Dhabi on the next flight. Given that your daughter is in the hospital she should be well taken care of and the entire process can be done in 24-36 hours.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
15 minutes ago, designguy said:

While I agree it doesnt hurt to ask, I have a really hard time believing that they would agree to this. I dont think they will allow you to go through preclearance with the explicit intention not to travel. You would then have to go back through UAE immigration. Plus there are security concerns as well. Also immigrant visas are usually issued for around 6 months (depending on the medical) so there is plenty of time for someone to have entered and activated the visa. OP you are really cutting it close on time. I would suggest you buy  ticket for you are your wife immediately and either one or both of you can return to Abu Dhabi on the next flight. Given that your daughter is in the hospital she should be well taken care of and the entire process can be done in 24-36 hours.

Good idea.  If both travel, do they have a trusted friend or relative to stand watch for 24-36 hours? Or rather, if the wife is upto it, she can do this and then come back to watch over the child as the OP goes to US.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Thank you all for all the great responses and ideas.

Our current plan is for both of us to buy tickets through the pre-clearance in Abu Dhabi. Go as early as we can, I go in first and see how it goes with the CBP Officer, if he asks about my wife, I will explain the situation and show him all the proof I have. If he agrees to let me through, my wife will cancel her trip and go back to my daughter, if not, she'll follow me on the spot and both of us travel to the US then she boards the next flight back.

It's so crappy that I have to let my wife spend around 40 hours of flights and airports, just to prove that we are actually moving to the US as a family.

Guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Better than having to go through the application process all over again. Especially that my UAE visa has already been cancelled since we were supposed to leave the country 2 days ago

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can someone share the exact requirements of where it specifies that the sponsor must already be in the country at the time of POE?  I don't recall that part at all from our I-130 journey.  

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

2 hours ago, Suze1 said:

Also...via wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance

Legal restrictions[edit]

Preclearance facilities exist because of agreements made between the U.S. federal government and the governments of the host countries. Travelers who have passed through the U.S. government checks, but whose flight or ship has not departed, remain in the legal jurisdiction of the host country. U.S. officials may question and search travelers with the passenger's permission, but they do not have powers of arrest (for customs or immigration violations or for the execution of outstanding warrants), but they can deny boarding.[citation needed]

So, the above suggests that it is the local authorities that you need to speak with. They are likely more readily reachable. Just a thought.

Local authorities have to also be taken into consideration.

Yeah, this makes sense. Basically they want to ask CBP to help them game the system (I don’t mean that in a manner unsympathetic to the situation) .... the answer is almost certainly no.  
Looks to me like the two options are jeopardizing health or applying for a new visa. Other posters will know, can the same i130 be used? Is it possible to contact the embassy, say they are unable to use the visa and request a new visa appointment?

Yeah, three options:

1) Go using this visa and US citizen mom comes back immediately

2) Not go using this visa, and apply for another visa when they can all go together

3) Appeal to the authorities (local and US) for consideration (in progress and, so far, not looking so good)

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

2 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Yeah, three options:

1) Go using this visa and US citizen mom comes back immediately

2) Not go using this visa, and apply for another visa when they can all go together

3) Appeal to the authorities (local and US) for consideration (in progress and, so far, not looking so good)

Seems like option is the only one that would work. We already quit our jobs, sold everything and cancelled our visas. So redoing the whole application is out of the question.

14 minutes ago, Siwady said:

Seems like option is the only one that would work. We already quit our jobs, sold everything and cancelled our visas. So redoing the whole application is out of the question.

Just curious, when was the visa issued, and why cutting it so close for travel?

26 minutes ago, Siwady said:

Well it was issued around 5 months ago, but we decided to stay in the UAE longer to save some money before we head to the US and start looking for jobs from scratch. Now I know that was a big mistake 

Mistakes happen, you didn't know that your wife and child would become ill nor that they would be so ill that hospitalization would be needed.  Don't beat yourself up about it. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Yeah, things happen.

The most important thing is that your child will be okay. That is what matters most.

The rest is just logistics and money. 

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.