mrath5

Bank not accepting extension letter

17 posts in this topic

So last year we bought a house no problem with my husbands expired green card and extension letter. Since rates went down we are trying to refinance and this underwriter is saying they can’t accept the extension letter. They want something more from the USCIS?? Last year when he tried to get the stamp the officer wouldn’t give it to him and said the bank has to accept the letter. 

what more can we do? 

You could try to show them the Carrier information guide, which specifically states that an expired LPR card and an I-797C NOA paper is officially accepted by immigration as evidence of LPR status.

If they continue to be an issue, ask to see someone in the bank with better immigration knowledge, or the branch manager, or someone. They shouldn't demand more when it's enough evidence to prove your residency, especially if USCIS says they HAVE to accept the letter.

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
44 minutes ago, mrath5 said:

So last year we bought a house no problem with my husbands expired green card and extension letter. Since rates went down we are trying to refinance and this underwriter is saying they can’t accept the extension letter. They want something more from the USCIS?? Last year when he tried to get the stamp the officer wouldn’t give it to him and said the bank has to accept the letter. 

what more can we do? 

May I ask which bank? We're about to refinance as well.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

1 hour ago, tamaara said:

May I ask which bank? We're about to refinance as well.

Our local credit union. We got the original loan with his extension letter so I don’t know why this underwriter is making a big deal of it.

1 hour ago, SorrowL said:

You could try to show them the Carrier information guide, which specifically states that an expired LPR card and an I-797C NOA paper is officially accepted by immigration as evidence of LPR status.

If they continue to be an issue, ask to see someone in the bank with better immigration knowledge, or the branch manager, or someone. They shouldn't demand more when it's enough evidence to prove your residency, especially if USCIS says they HAVE to accept the letter.

Where do I find this carrier information guide? Because that sounds like exactly what we need!

6 minutes ago, mrath5 said:

Where do I find this carrier information guide? Because that sounds like exactly what we need!

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

it’s mainly used for aircraft carriers, but it proves that an expired LPR card and I-797 is valid for legal residence entry. 

the specific page you want is 30.

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

32 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

it’s mainly used for aircraft carriers, but it proves that an expired LPR card and I-797 is valid for legal residence entry. 

the specific page you want is 30.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, mrath5 said:

They want something more from the USCIS?? .........

It's an official letter directly from the USCIS what more do they possibly expect the USCIS to provide? If they continue to be a "Richard" about it, you may want to (politely) point out that if the USCIS says he is an LPR than maybe they should just shut up and deal with it. And if that doesn't work, the phrase "discrimination based on national origin is still illegal in this country" has opened several doors for me in the past.

6 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

It's an official letter directly from the USCIS what more do they possibly expect the USCIS to provide? If they continue to be a "Richard" about it, you may want to (politely) point out that if the USCIS says he is an LPR than maybe they should just shut up and deal with it. And if that doesn't work, the phrase "discrimination based on national origin is still illegal in this country" has opened several doors for me in the past.

Exactly, getting anything at all from USCIS is like pulling teeth so we figured that wasn’t even an option. I do like the discrimination point, thank you, I will copy that line! :) 

26 minutes ago, mrath5 said:

Exactly, getting anything at all from USCIS is like pulling teeth so we figured that wasn’t even an option. I do like the discrimination point, thank you, I will copy that line! :) 

Please do it can be very effective especially if the foreign national blurs it out in a very casual way (at least that is what my wife told me, she always has to look the other way to keep from laughing).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Credit unions are usually your best bet, My house is thru a credit union, and I am thinking about refinancing maybe in a month or two, but I have gotten better rates and closing costs thru the online lenders. You may want to consider ditching the credit union if they are giving you trouble, and check out some online lenders such as quicken loans as an example, maybe lending tree is another, there are quite a few out there with rates under 3%.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
6 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Credit unions are usually your best bet, My house is thru a credit union, and I am thinking about refinancing maybe in a month or two, but I have gotten better rates and closing costs thru the online lenders. You may want to consider ditching the credit union if they are giving you trouble, and check out some online lenders such as quicken loans as an example, maybe lending tree is another, there are quite a few out there with rates under 3%.

I ran into same issue when I was trying to refinance my car with the credit union, they only did it when I got my 10yr green card. I did show that the extension letter and told them that it was valid, could not here it. so I had to wait a couple of months for the actual card to come through.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 hours ago, mrath5 said:

There are a lot of companies who will refinance a home loan....I would look elsewhere.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I even ran into an issue with Chase with the stamp before the green card came.  It wasn't that they didn't believe it was valid, it was just there was no place for them to enter the stamp into their computer.  Super annoying, but whatever.  I'm surprised they asked.  Usually SS# plus driver's license is enough.  I've never been asked to show that I'm a USC when I've opened an account.  

Try to escalate to a manager or get a different bank.  Lots of banks in this business.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.