Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone, I just got the i130 approval from NVC. What do I do next? At what point does someone use a waiver because of the ban?

Edited by Tayo A

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, Tayo A said:

Hi everyone, I just got the i130 approval from NVC. What do I do next? At what point does someone use a waiver because of the ban?

NVC doesnt approve petitions USCIS does. Do you mean you got the welcome packet from NVC? What is your visa category? Most embassies/consulates are closed and not issuing visas anyways. 

Timeline
Just now, designguy said:

NVC doesnt approve petitions USCIS does. Do you mean you got the welcome packet from NVC? What is your visa category? Most embassies/consulates are closed and not issuing visas anyways. 

The petition was approved by USCIS recently. I meant to say I just got a follow up email from NVC, its an IR1 category.

Timeline
Just now, Tayo A said:

The petition was approved by USCIS recently. I meant to say I just got a follow up email from NVC, its an IR1 category.

Assuming you are the spouse of a USC you wont need a waiver, but you will need the embassy/consulate to open to get a visa. When that will be noone knows 

Timeline
1 minute ago, designguy said:

Assuming you are the spouse of a USC you wont need a waiver, but you will need the embassy/consulate to open to get a visa. When that will be noone knows 

Okay, that is reassuring, I am asking cos of the travel ban on Nigerians. Thank you so much for the prompt response.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Tayo A said:

Okay, that is reassuring, I am asking cos of the travel ban on Nigerians. Thank you so much for the prompt response.

Didnt realize you were from Nigeria. You should fill out your timeline. Immigrant ban from Nigeria is still in effect AFAIK

Timeline
1 minute ago, designguy said:

Didnt realize you were from Nigeria. You should fill out your timeline. Immigrant ban from Nigeria is still in effect AFAIK

This is the Nigerian timeline no?

5 hours ago, Arewa said:

I pray you get one 🙏

52 minutes ago, Tayo A said:

You still have few steps to take. who sent you the email and what was the content.NVC does not approve application rather uscis does.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Tayo A said:

This is the Nigerian timeline no?

This thread covers the ban for Nigeria if you read through there are helpful hints on how to prepare for the interview. It is during the interview the CO will determine if your eligible for the waiver.  

According to the stats, it's pretty variable across country for waiver approval after the first full month of the ban: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/presidentialproclamation/P.P. 9645 Monthly Public Reporting – March 2020.pdf

Burma: 71% approved waiver

Eritrea: 16% approved waiver

Kyrgyzstan: 18% approved waiver

Nigeria: 49% approved waiver

Sudan: 6% approved waiver

Tanzania: N/A (no IV applications that month that were eligible for the visa...only when otherwise eligible does the waiver come into play)

Nigeria made up a little over half of all waiver applications, so the ~50% rate there is likely more indicative of a waiver in general.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
18 hours ago, geowrian said:

According to the stats, it's pretty variable across country for waiver approval after the first full month of the ban: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/presidentialproclamation/P.P. 9645 Monthly Public Reporting – March 2020.pdf

Burma: 71% approved waiver

Eritrea: 16% approved waiver

Kyrgyzstan: 18% approved waiver

Nigeria: 49% approved waiver

Sudan: 6% approved waiver

Tanzania: N/A (no IV applications that month that were eligible for the visa...only when otherwise eligible does the waiver come into play)

Nigeria made up a little over half of all waiver applications, so the ~50% rate there is likely more indicative of a waiver in general.

I know you may not have an answer to this but do we know what the break down is based on visa categories? It will be interesting to get that distribution.

5 minutes ago, Hello World! said:

I know you may not have an answer to this but do we know what the break down is based on visa categories? It will be interesting to get that distribution.

I do not, sorry. They don’t break it down at that level. The inadmissibility doesn’t distinguish between IV categories so the stats don’t either.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.