Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
5 hours ago, juliusbliss said:

Hello

This is what happened to me. My petitioner prior job was making $32k which is above the poverty guideline required when we filed our case and we submitted the tax return to USCIS and was accepted when our case was transfered to NVC my petitioner got another job this time she's making way more than the average requirement for the poverty guide line but we haven't filed for the tax return yet cos is not yet time so we only had the appointment letter which we submitted to NVC alongside the Tax return submitted to USCIS. 

We were DQ for that I thought it was OK and I took everything just as submitted to my interview. My interview went great but the CO demanded for a joint sponsor that my petitioner doesn't meet the poverty guideline I showed him the appointment letter for the new job he didn't accept that. 

He needed a joint sponsor 

W2

(their 2019 tax return) Recent

We had to call on my petitioner parent to be our joint sponsor which they agreed. 

The joint sponsor will fill form I-864

The joint sponsor household member will fill form I-864a(consent form that he/she is aware and in support of the sponsoring) if only he/she(joint sponsor) is married  or they file their tax return together as partner or has asset. This two form go together in this case. 

I drop off the documents as requested in the DHL office for review and it was accepted. Now just waiting for my visa to be issued cos my passport is still with them. 

I hope this help. 

Let's continue to hope for the best, soon. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
5 hours ago, juliusbliss said:

Hello

This is what happened to me. My petitioner prior job was making $32k which is above the poverty guideline required when we filed our case and we submitted the tax return to USCIS and was accepted when our case was transfered to NVC my petitioner got another job this time she's making way more than the average requirement for the poverty guide line but we haven't filed for the tax return yet cos is not yet time so we only had the appointment letter which we submitted to NVC alongside the Tax return submitted to USCIS. 

We were DQ for that I thought it was OK and I took everything just as submitted to my interview. My interview went great but the CO demanded for a joint sponsor that my petitioner doesn't meet the poverty guideline I showed him the appointment letter for the new job he didn't accept that. 

W2

We had to call on my petitioner parent to be our joint sponsor which they agreed. 

The joint sponsor household member will fill form I-864a(consent form that he/she is aware and in support of the sponsoring) if only he/she(joint sponsor) is married  or they file their tax return together as partner or has asset. This two form go together in this case. 

I drop off the documents as requested in the DHL office for review and it was accepted. Now just waiting for my visa to be issued cos my passport is still with them. 

I hope this help. 

Woow you mean your petitioner is making 32k and still rejected?  But the requirement is 26,600.... I don't understand those people sometimes shaa🐱

37 minutes ago, Kingseyima said:

Woow you mean your petitioner is making 32k and still rejected?  But the requirement is 26,600.... I don't understand those people sometimes shaa🐱

The minimum requirement for consideration is 125% of the FPL. Below that = cannot issue the visa.  Above that = judgement call based on the totality of the circumstances (https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2). Anywhere near the minimum is pretty risky.

Honestly, living in the US on $32k is extremely difficult w/o government assistance except maybe in the lowest cost of living (COL) areas.

Not sure where the $26,600 came from (https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The minimum requirement for consideration is 125% of the FPL. Below that = cannot issue the visa.  Above that = judgement call based on the totality of the circumstances (https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2). Anywhere near the minimum is pretty risky.

Honestly, living in the US on $32k is extremely difficult w/o government assistance except maybe in the lowest cost of living (COL) areas.

Not sure where the $26,600 came from (https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p).

According to what I see through this link 125% FOR 2 HOUSE HOLD is 21,550 So what are you talking about? thanks for your response..

6 minutes ago, Kingseyima said:

According to what I see through this link 125% FOR 2 HOUSE HOLD is 21,550 So what are you talking about? thanks for your response..

You said the requirement was $26,600. I was asking where that number came from.

There was no way to know their household size based on the information presented...could be 2, 3, or more depending on their circumstances.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

7 hours ago, juliusbliss said:

Hello

W2

I hope this help. 

I wonder why they do this. Same thing happened to me exactly, my petitioner earns upto 39,000$ but i was asked to get a joint sponsor, even though in our AOS she had assets to support it, but we didn't know to submit bank statements to back it up and NVC accepted everything, but CO asked me to get a joint sponsor, which i did on February and they later asked that i submit a document and my chat records with petitioner, which i did on march.. Now waiting for them  to ask me to submit passport for visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For confidentiality and how bona-fide it involves outside just the two of you in the relationship. That's my perception in all these. 

Even if you have 20 properties as assets they still going to ask for joint sponsor. You just pray u don't meet the CO that is very adamant during your interview. 

Bc this only happen at the embassy stages. 

Edited by juliusbliss

3 hours ago, juliusbliss said:

For confidentiality and how bona-fide it involves outside just the two of you in the relationship. That's my perception in all these. 

Even if you have 20 properties as assets they still going to ask for joint sponsor. You just pray u don't meet the CO that is very adamant during your interview. 

Bc this only happen at the embassy stages. 

I don't think this claim is true.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Davie92 said:

I wonder why they do this. Same thing happened to me exactly, my petitioner earns upto 39,000$ but i was asked to get a joint sponsor, even though in our AOS she had assets to support it, but we didn't know to submit bank statements to back it up and NVC accepted everything, but CO asked me to get a joint sponsor, which i did on February and they later asked that i submit a document and my chat records with petitioner, which i did on march.. Now waiting for them  to ask me to submit passport for visa.

Ok I can understand you now, I guess alot of case here based on spouse visa that's WHY they ask you guys joint sponsor because k1 visa still going to  through AOS . I don't think they ask k1 visa people joint sponsor ? If there is any one here with  k1 visa processing and CO still request for joint sponsor with 30k income please let me know thanks

Timeline
8 hours ago, Davie92 said:

I don't think this claim is true.

OK. Just saying though. 

So what do you think it is that makes them ask for joint sponsor even when you make more than the poverty guideline. You can share from your own point of view. 

21 minutes ago, juliusbliss said:

So what do you think it is that makes them ask for joint sponsor even when you make more than the poverty guideline. You can share from your own point of view. 

Realistic expectations based upon the totality of the circumstances. The requirement for approval is not "over $x" - it's convincing the CO that the applicant is not likely to become a public charge. The minimum income level is solely to set a bar for which they cannot approve if you are below it.

It is unrealistic to actually support 2 individuals on ~$21k/year (pre-tax) without government assistance in almost any location of the country. $30k? Possible in some areas, virtually impossible in cities. $50k? Possible in a big city, IMHO, but tight.

I highly suggest looking at the FAM for factors they consider, including those that are considered positively and negatively: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

If the minimum income level was the sole factor, there would be no point in listing those factors.

I've seen a sponsor making over $100k/year refused due to their specific circumstances (bankruptcy in the past, sketchy work history, applicant being unable to work, etc.). I've also seen a new student grad making barely over the minimum approved as a suitable sponsor.

I've seen cases (non-spousal) where the CO refused to accept any joint sponsor (Example: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/725829-cr1-visa-denial-letter-what-to-do-next/#comments)...they wanted the primary sponsor to demonstrate financial sufficiency.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Realistic expectations based upon the totality of the circumstances. The requirement for approval is not "over $x" - it's convincing the CO that the applicant is not likely to become a public charge. The minimum income level is solely to set a bar for which they cannot approve if you are below it.

It is unrealistic to actually support 2 individuals on ~$21k/year (pre-tax) without government assistance in almost any location of the country. $30k? Possible in some areas, virtually impossible in cities. $50k? Possible in a big city, IMHO, but tight.

I highly suggest looking at the FAM for factors they consider, including those that are considered positively and negatively: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

If the minimum income level was the sole factor, there would be no point in listing those factors.

I've seen a sponsor making over $100k/year refused due to their specific circumstances (bankruptcy in the past, sketchy work history, applicant being unable to work, etc.). I've also seen a new student grad making barely over the minimum approved as a suitable sponsor.

I've seen cases (non-spousal) where the CO refused to accept any joint sponsor (Example: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/725829-cr1-visa-denial-letter-what-to-do-next/#comments)...they wanted the primary sponsor to demonstrate financial sufficiency.

Ok

Thank you for clarity

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

This is exactly it... I had to finally send in my petitioners full bank statement and filled new AOS with recent and old 1099 and tax returns, because she has enough resources to sponsor me, which they accepted instead of a joint sponsor.

13 hours ago, Davie92 said:

This is exactly it... I had to finally send in my petitioners full bank statement and filled new AOS with recent and old 1099 and tax returns, because she has enough resources to sponsor me, which they accepted instead of a joint sponsor.

I have a question: what is a reasonable expectation for people waiting for approval/issuance of their visas who's medicals are expiring soon. Since the visas are yet to be issued, will they be required to pay for both the visa fees along with the requiring fresh medicals?

16 minutes ago, adegold said:

I have a question: what is a reasonable expectation for people waiting for approval/issuance of their visas who's medicals are expiring soon. Since the visas are yet to be issued, will they be required to pay for both the visa fees along with the requiring fresh medicals?

I'm on this list too.. I'm waiting for my visa to be issued...

Hope someone can give us the answer to this question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.