Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Oh wow! I’ve been trying to critically interpret the new law.  So you’re trying to say that for me being a USC, I would not be allowed to file for my parents because they are from any of those countries even though that’s my right as a USC?

28 minutes ago, Cocoza said:

Oh wow! I’ve been trying to critically interpret the new law.  So you’re trying to say that for me being a USC, I would not be allowed to file for my parents because they are from any of those countries even though that’s my right as a USC?

You can file for them fine. The I-130 petition should have no issue with their country of citizenship.

You are permitted to file for them as a USC.

Their eligibility for a visa is the issue. They are not guaranteed any rights to immigrate or otherwise enter the US.

They can request a waiver after the visa interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good day everyone!

Please I’m a little bit curious about few things that I’ll like your guys to shed some light on for me—

1. I’ll like to know the implications of PresidentTrump recent expanded travel ban on the issuance of immigrant visas Nigerians and other countries that will lead to permanent residency in the U.S.  

2. If you were already issued the immigrant visa before the travel ban comes into effect on Feb 21st, but decides to wait till a later date for your second wedding anniversary (in a bit to get the 10years Green Card) which is around the corner, do you think the immigrant will have problems at POE? 

Please I’ll greatly appreciate everyone’s opinions/answers.

Thank you with anticipations.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I was just reading about the new Trump Admin. travel ban on Nigeria and 5 other countries. My fiancé is Nigerian and we are hoping to marry late February. I can’t seem to find any clear information online about exactly which immigration visas will be barred. Does anyone have any better information on the situation? I’m trying not to panic but I don’t have much to hang on to. We are not engaged with a paper trail, we were planning to marry and then bring him here on a marriage visa. Now I’m afraid that will be barred from happening. Any help is appreciated. 

-panicked 

Please I woke up reading this travel ban. A USC who married from this country now has no right to file and bring her husband to come live with her in the US anymore? I have a brother who recently got married to his American wife and she’s due to file for him next week. What is the chances of him having a successful application. The wife is a nurse who makes good $  who will be his sponsor. Anyone here to explain this please. Thank u

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

People from Nigeria are barred from immigrating to the US after Feb 22 based on the upcoming ban. You may still petition and if approved may be eligible for a waiver at the time of the interview. Nigeria has a large amount of people that immigrate/attempt to immigrate to the United States (Approx 8,000 in 2018 that received immigrant visas) so it can be expected that the backlog to process the waivers will probably become quite lengthy fairly quickly.

Edited by designguy

Timeline
15 minutes ago, designguy said:

If the visa is issued prior to Feb 22 then the person may travel

That mean you don’t think it wise to wait till a later date for my second wedding anniversary?

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Major said:

Good day everyone!

Please I’m a little bit curious about few things that I’ll like your guys to shed some light on for me—

1. I’ll like to know the implications of PresidentTrump recent expanded travel ban on the issuance of immigrant visas Nigerians and other countries that will lead to permanent residency in the U.S.  

2. If you were already issued the immigrant visa before the travel ban comes into effect on Feb 21st, but decides to wait till a later date for your second wedding anniversary (in a bit to get the 10years Green Card) which is around the corner, do you think the immigrant will have problems at POE? 

Please I’ll greatly appreciate everyone’s opinions/answers.

Thank you with anticipations.

If I may add, during the first travel ban, those who had trouble at the POE, did they eventually gain entry into the U.S.?

Edited by Major

1 minute ago, Ayodele1401 said:

What is a waiver? How can they apply for this 

At the interview the CO can recommend a waiver.   Nothing for you to do.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, designguy said:

People from Nigeria are barred from immigrating to the US after Feb 22 based on the upcoming ban. You may still petition and if approved may be eligible for a waiver at the time of the interview. Nigeria has a large amount of people that immigrate/attempt to immigrate to the United States (Approx 8,000 in 2018 that received immigrant visas) so it can be expected that the backlog to process the waivers will probably become quite lengthy fairly quickly.

Do you know anything about the waiver? What makes someone “eligible”?

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

The ban takes effect on Feb 22. If the visa isnt issued, ie printed in the passport by that date then the person will be ineligible. The only way around it will be if they are approved for a waiver. If they havent even filed yet then there is zero chance they will have a visa issued by Feb 22

Edited by designguy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.