thatguyuknow

Baked Beans

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I think Van Camp’s Pork n Beans taste most like Heinz,  I don’t like brown sugar added. Ignore the “pork” part because a can may have one tiny cube about the size of a pea of what they call pork. Blink and you won’t even see it. Cheap too.

.1b182798-048c-489f-9316-40c0f3fc0280_1.a

ok an update... sorry to @thatguyuknow but those beans didnt hit the spot for me. They may be "nice" beans BUT theyre not the plain tomatoey beans that I miss. They had that "smoky" / "bbq" type flavour to them maybe its the brown sugar that @Wuozopo mentioned. So i went ahead to world market and bought 3 tins of good ol Heinz at $2.50 a pop 😰 i miss the 25p cans from Tesco !!

@Wuozopo
Ive seen they sell those at my local supermarket, theyre next on my hit list at 70 cents a can not too expensive either !

Edited by skjourney

On 2/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, Wuozopo said:

I think Van Camp’s Pork n Beans taste most like Heinz,  I don’t like brown sugar added. Ignore the “pork” part because a can may have one tiny cube about the size of a pea of what they call pork. Blink and you won’t even see it. Cheap too.

.1b182798-048c-489f-9316-40c0f3fc0280_1.a

Thanks will give these a try cos importing Heinz beans via amazon is getting expensive!

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, AmandaandChayne said:

Thanks will give these a try cos importing Heinz beans via amazon is getting expensive!

Early on my wife made me do a blind taste test with Heinz beans because I refused to try her suggestion. So I gave in. I actually picked the Pork and Beans as Heinz.   ::embarrassing:: 

I must be over Heinz beans now because I threw away a tin of real Heinz this week that had been in the cupboard years past the date on it. Now I prefer fresh cooked pinto beans at the BBQ place or the pintos called Borracho beans at TexMex restaurants. I’m pretty settled in to American life at this point,  but still have to have my  Colman's mustard and Branston pickle. I call the Colman’s my yellow BBQ sauce. 🤣

so i tried the Van Camps today, and i gotta say theyre really, really close to UK baked beans, maybe a subtle after taste thats unusual, but certainly more than passable. But whats all this talk of "pork" being included ? i didnt even find a speck ! how do they get that past trades and goods description ? not to worry though, im glad its this way, these will be my go to from now on ! thanks @Wuozopo

It tickles me that cheese and beans on toast will be such a pricey treat once I live in the US; $3 a tin and the ability to hunt down some "real" cheddar.

Now to find prawn cocktail crisps...

Timeline
1 hour ago, corntop said:

It tickles me that cheese and beans on toast will be such a pricey treat once I live in the US; $3 a tin and the ability to hunt down some "real" cheddar.

Cheese was a problem for me too. I sampled every cheddar in my Kroger’s deli case (really nice worker) and settled on Boars’s Head black wax for a few years.  Then I discovered HEB and their store brand called Artisan Cheddar at 5.95/lb. in the deli case. They have slowly increased the price up to $7.25. HEB is only in Texas. For crisps my preference is Kroger brand Salt and Vinegar which are thin like Walkers and Lays. Walmarts with bakeries do a bread called “English Toasting Bread” which is decent. 

Edited by Wuozopo

2 hours ago, corntop said:

I fell in love with the prawn cocktail crisps when I went to visit my SO.  They are incredibly hard to find in the US but if you dont mind paying the price, you can check out this place.  They have a load of different items but they do come with a heavy cost and they regularly sell out of things very quickly. I am sure this will be one place we will order from once he gets here, just for those things that he cant find a substitute for. 

Edited by AshleyHope0618
added info.

event.png

23 hours ago, AshleyHope0618 said:

you can check out this place. 

Thanks the link, definitely bookmarking it. Even though it's expensive, I think it's worth it occasionally for a little treat to feel like home.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

King Soopers Vegetarian Baked Beans are not that bad.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 weeks later...

These Heinz vegetarian beans from Walmart taste just like the ones in U.K.

They are in a tomato sauce. We also found them in Canada last summer as well and they also had a Store brand called President brand of the same thing there. 

We like to buy a quiche in store deli and have it with beans. Yummy

6DE6C09F-F914-45CB-9E4C-4A95EAACEBED.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I wasn't sure where else to put this, or who else would appreciate it.

I'm the USC but still in the UK (hoping to move this summer) and last night I was sat eating steak pie with chips, cheese and gravy from the local chippie and I realised, I'm really going to miss this.  Americans don't really get pie like Brits do.  And I think we can all agree that fries are not chips.  There are a whole raft of American foods that I do miss and have never found properly outside the States (I'm looking at you cheesesteak), but I actually really like a lot of British foods that I think will be impossible to find in the States (Ulster pasties, beef olives, Battenberg, really good, proper bacon, buttries) .  It hadn't occurred to me before and now I'm a little (more) sad about going.  

N.B. I appreciate that some of those things could be made at home from scratch, but that's not the same...

On 6/12/2020 at 10:58 AM, The4Sands said:

I wasn't sure where else to put this, or who else would appreciate it.

I'm the USC but still in the UK (hoping to move this summer) and last night I was sat eating steak pie with chips, cheese and gravy from the local chippie and I realised, I'm really going to miss this.  Americans don't really get pie like Brits do.  And I think we can all agree that fries are not chips.  There are a whole raft of American foods that I do miss and have never found properly outside the States (I'm looking at you cheesesteak), but I actually really like a lot of British foods that I think will be impossible to find in the States (Ulster pasties, beef olives, Battenberg, really good, proper bacon, buttries) .  It hadn't occurred to me before and now I'm a little (more) sad about going.  

N.B. I appreciate that some of those things could be made at home from scratch, but that's not the same...

Something I am also realizing, I want to learn recipes and the like, my children and grandchildren have to know what it was like back in the "old country" per say, lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.