85 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello, I'm new here and I'm not sure if this topic is the correct one under this section so forgive me if I misplaced it. Me and my fiancee have known each other since 2009. We went to the same high school in America. She had a visa given to study from the US Department (sponsored) for a year for the same school I went to. Age wise we are two years apart. We spent most of the year eating together in the cafeteria at school. We liked each other but didn't express it in words. We didn't hang out outside of school because at that time she was more religious so we couldn't show affection in public like taking pictures together and she couldn't have a boyfriend. My fiance had to leave back to her country after her grade was done and we just kept in contact on facebook until 2013. She didn't have internet connection because she wasn't working and was attending school. She messaged me when she could. We both got busy with college and I just decided to shut down my facebook because I wasn't using it but to message her mostly... thinking that she may not really like me even though the signs were obvious that she did like me. Three years later I reopened a facebook account and searched for her. I didn't find her until 3 years later in 2019. I had added more friends from high school and from the recommendations of friends I saw her on the recommendations(suggested friends). My heart skipped and I gasped. I messaged her and we wrote essays to each other(paragraphs) about where we are in life and catching up. Then I told her that I had a crush on her but thought that she liked me too. She did say she did like me a lot but didn't say in words because she was going back to Morocco anyway and at that time she was more religious(no bf) and thought I wouldn't have managed that type of relationship anyway if she could have a bf. Catching up we spoke for four to six hours a day over whatsapp and I then asked her to be my girl... she said yes and we had a moment of tears. Several weeks later I asked her how the marriage process works since I'm agnostic and she comes from a muslim background. I then just popped the question that I want to marry her and don't want to let go again. Again we both shed some tears... we decided to do the fiance visa (because it's suppose to be shorter we thought) and in  the third month of reconnecting I got officially engaged to her in her parents house. We had the traditional engagement with the food exchange (dates and milk) ring exchange and traditional outfits. Then, after spending almost two weeks with her (couldn't do more because of the limiting job vacation days) I went back to the US and filed for the Fiance visa. I did submit all the required paperwork and what is in the gov website detail to detail. I submitted several pictures of the ceremony too. The thing is, after I sent it I googled a question of the ceremony for the visa and this website came up. Other places like reddit suggested it was good evidence but now I have some concerns because it may get mistaken for a wedding? Unfortunately, I have already sent the package... I received the first notice (reciept) tonight. I humbly ask for advice here. I know It's already done but maybe my fiancee can be better prepared for the interview. I forgot to mention that she has a masters in English so she at times even speaks better English than me. We are also both agnostic but on her facebook page she doesn't disclose that since she has many family members(religious muslims) there who are her friends so she doesn't want to be shamed or have drama. We did include pages of other pictures together, chat logs, call logs, receipts, testimonials and signed, love letters from her, my fbi background her police records from when she stayed in the US, and proof that we both went to the same high school like I signed her year book. I need advice. Thank you for your guys time.

Sounds like you sent a good selection of relationship evidence. 

did you tag your album with dates and what’s happening in the photographs? Cause if you did that it shouldn’t be a problem regarding your engagement party. Photos are mostly secondary evidence compared to actual itineraries and other official stuff.

As long as you followed the I-129f correctly you don’t need to worry really. If they want to know anything more or have concerns, they’ll send you a request for evidence. This part is only half the battle to a K1. 

depending on when you filed, you could be waiting a long time. I suggest you fill out your immigration timeline on your profile for estimated approval dates

good luck on your journey, and welcome to the site!

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

Timeline
1 minute ago, SorrowL said:

Sounds like you sent a good selection of relationship evidence. 

did you tag your album with dates and what’s happening in the photographs? Cause if you did that it shouldn’t be a problem regarding your engagement party. Photos are mostly secondary evidence compared to actual itineraries and other official stuff.

As long as you followed the I-129f correctly you don’t need to worry really. If they want to know anything more or have concerns, they’ll send you a request for evidence. This part is only half the battle to a K1. 

good luck on your journey, and welcome to the site!

Thank you for replying! Yes, we have commented on every single picture who was there, time and place. That is a relief to know. I also sent them the celibacy single document in English and Arabic.

3 minutes ago, AdrianSolorzano said:

Thank you for replying! Yes, we have commented on every single picture who was there, time and place. That is a relief to know. I also sent them the celibacy single document in English and Arabic.

I can understand the anxious feeling. It is a big commitment and a very official process. I say stay calm, most of the official process is waiting. You can get estimates on your approval date if you fill out your visa timeline on your profile, something I squeezed in above in an edit, but you might’ve not seen it. 

visa Issued

Timeline

I can understand the anxious feeling. It is a big commitment and a very official process. I say stay calm, most of the official process is waiting. You can get estimates on your approval date if you fill out your visa timeline on your profile, something I squeezed in above in an edit, but you might’ve not seen it. 

Yeah... I didn't realize it would get to me like this. I want everything to go right... really don't want to be separated again. Ok, I will check out that timeline. Thank you 😊

13 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

This is partially correct.  We have seen denials for ceremonies that could be perceived as weddings.

10 minutes ago, AdrianSolorzano said:

I also sent them the celibacy single document in English and Arabic.

How can any document attest to celibacy?!

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

This is partially correct.  We have seen denials for ceremonies that could be perceived as weddings.

Yeah, that is what I am concerned about. Thank you for commenting.

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

I didn’t know that. But OP did include evidence that the beneficiary has not been married in the form of a celibacy single document, so that should help regarding the image, but it’s all up to the USCIS Officer who gets it.

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

How can any document attest to celibacy?!I

It's the document that says she is single but others have called it the celibacy document since she can only have sex after marriage therefore the celibacy document.

Timeline

I didn’t know that. But OP did include evidence that the beneficiary has not been married in the form of a celibacy single document, so that should help regarding the image, but it’s all up to the USCIS Officer who gets it.

I do understand that the officer has the final decision. I also read in another blog that on the interview day the decision has already been done and the interview is just to confirm the evidence. Is this true?

5 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

No "celibacy single document" can prove that someone has not been married or had sex.  It may show that someone has not been married in a particular jurisdiction, but that's it.

VJ is FULL of stories about denials from folks that had traditional or engagement ceremonies, and were denied at the interview for being "too married" for a K-1 visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AdrianSolorzano said:

It's the document that says she is single but others have called it the celibacy document since she can only have sex after marriage therefore the celibacy document.

Well I am not sure that is how it works.

Your case is hardly typical so I doubt you will have much of an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, AdrianSolorzano said:

I do understand that the officer has the final decision. I also read in another blog that on the interview day the decision has already been done and the interview is just to confirm the evidence. Is this true?

I would say that for Morocco, that is correct.  It is a high fraud/high denial consulate.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

No "celibacy single document" can prove that someone has not been married or had sex.  It may show that someone has not been married in a particular jurisdiction, but that's it.

VJ is FULL of stories about denials from folks that had traditional or engagement ceremonies, and were denied at the interview for being "too married" for a K-1 visa.

Got it. Thank you for clarifying.

Yeah, about the ceremony I am worried.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AdrianSolorzano said:

No.  

You picked a tough embassy dude.  Might have been a mistake to have a ceremony over there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.