85 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My opinion (having gone through the Casablanca consulate with a successful K-1 petition) is that your engagement ceremony does sound rather typical, with the exception of her wearing multiple dresses. I myself did not have an engagement party or ceremony, but it was brought up at our interview, we were asked why we did not have one. And I know plenty of other successful K-1s in Morocco who had the ceremony with milk and dates, henna and all and were still approved. It's a very common cultural practice. Of course every case is different so no one can say for sure what the CO will decide in your case. I also don't think the religion difference is as big a deal as people are making it seem. As long as you are able to explain it at the interview, it's not really something that is likely to cause any immediate denial. Otherwise same sex couples and non Muslim male/Muslim female couples would never get visas through Muslim countries, and I'm sure they do, it's just a somewhat rare scenario.

I don't think you should be overly worried about the K-1 visa, I think you have a decent chance. Though it wouldn't hurt to at least research the marriage process in Morocco in case the K-1 is denied for whatever reason.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

How does he prove what religion he is or is not?

For those born of Muslim parents (in islamic countries ) they are automatically considered Muslim

for those who convert ,  the IMAM of their Mosque can write an affidavit attesting that they have said the Shahada ,  the declaration of the Islamic Creed declaring belief in the oneness of God (tawhid) and the acceptance of Muhammad as God's prophet

For our Moroccan application to marry,  my Adil had to have this as he was marrying a foreigner

not sure if it is required if a Moroccan man marries a Moroccan woman as that process is a lot easier with a lot less documents and work

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
10 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

My opinion (having gone through the Casablanca consulate with a successful K-1 petition) is that your engagement ceremony does sound rather typical, with the exception of her wearing multiple dresses. I myself did not have an engagement party or ceremony, but it was brought up at our interview, we were asked why we did not have one. And I know plenty of other successful K-1s in Morocco who had the ceremony with milk and dates, henna and all and were still approved. It's a very common cultural practice. Of course every case is different so no one can say for sure what the CO will decide in your case. I also don't think the religion difference is as big a deal as people are making it seem. As long as you are able to explain it at the interview, it's not really something that is likely to cause any immediate denial. Otherwise same sex couples and non Muslim male/Muslim female couples would never get visas through Muslim countries, and I'm sure they do, it's just a somewhat rare scenario.

I don't think you should be overly worried about the K-1 visa, I think you have a decent chance. Though it wouldn't hurt to at least research the marriage process in Morocco in case the K-1 is denied for whatever reason.

Thank you for the reassuring comment. I have read over several places on different forums that an engagement ceremony or party is normal there. But I understand the point of view of the officer if skeptical. On our photos we have placed on the comments as fiance and screenshots of whatsapp messages as fiance to each others profile name. It's a small detail but I hope every little helps. In the ceremony there was only women. During the ending we had photoshoots with the family and that's when only a few men showed up just for the pictures(husbands). Me and my fiance share the same agnostic belief but on her profile just out of respect for her family she has to be traditional. She is not a Muslim religiously but does follow some customs when around her family. Her parents are very liberal when it comes to Moroccan parents which I am grateful for. 

I have also read that many get asked if it was a wedding when providing proof of the ceremony. If there are no small red flags like husband or wife or wedding in comments or on social media approved then what I have read they were also approved sometimes after a few days when in processing. I understand every case is different too. 

It's a lot to go over in these comments. They all mean well and I will take them into consideration. 

Thank you again.

Timeline
23 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Are you sure you did not sign any contract?

and promise a dowery?

I did not do any of the above. I am 💯 positive.

Timeline
10 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Looks like a classic case of "too married for a K-1, not married legally so you can't do CR-1."  We see many of these cases here on VJ.  You can wait for the K-1 to play out, see what happens at her interview, then go from there.  That process will take at least 6-8 months, sometimes longer in high-fraud countries like Morocco where they often do extended background checks.  If denied after an 8+ month wait, and then you get married (additional time even if you go to a third country where it is fast and religion doesn't matter) and file for a CR-1 that will take another year at least if all goes well, so a possible total of a year and a half or two years.  If you cancel the K-1 now and get married and file for a CR-1 it will only be about a year.  You're weighing the risk of K-1 denial here and that seems likely based on the location and the "engagement/wedding" party photos.  I would suggest cancelling K-1, get married as soon as you can, then file CR-1.  If the K-1 is denied there is no appeal process, it typically dies.  And a K-1 also involves the hassles of adjustment of status after marriage in the US and your fiancee/wife will not be able to work, get a driver's license, or leave the country for 6-8 months, a period many refer to as the "K-1 hell."  With a CR-1 she would be able to work immediately upon entry to the US, or leave the country in the case of an emergency back home, a huge advantage IMO.  Good luck!

I understand the benefits of the CR-1. Thank you so much for you input. I am still deciding what me and my fiance want to do. It's not easy. 

Timeline
On 1/3/2020 at 10:04 PM, Nitas_man said:

You may have a problem.  A two day ceremony that included exchanging rings, cutting cakes, henna party, and traditional wedding milk and dates - you have to know how that looks right?  Know how many “not really married but too married for K1 eligibility” cases have come through here?  

Can you please link me to more cases of denials from Morocco? I have searched on here but found a few. Then again I am new here so I still need assistance. Yeah... if we decide to keep going and ended up at the interview there would be a lot of clarification from our part if the officer has doubts which by this forum is most likely to happen.

Timeline
On 1/3/2020 at 9:11 PM, SorrowL said:

Sounds like you sent a good selection of relationship evidence. 

did you tag your album with dates and what’s happening in the photographs? Cause if you did that it shouldn’t be a problem regarding your engagement party. Photos are mostly secondary evidence compared to actual itineraries and other official stuff.

As long as you followed the I-129f correctly you don’t need to worry really. If they want to know anything more or have concerns, they’ll send you a request for evidence. This part is only half the battle to a K1. 

depending on when you filed, you could be waiting a long time. I suggest you fill out your immigration timeline on your profile for estimated approval dates

good luck on your journey, and welcome to the site!

I created the timeline just minutes ago. 

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
Timeline

You're welcome. Today my fiancee got notified that her passport is ready for pick up.

On the 31st we are planning for her to travel to the US to finally be together.

Regarding the interview at the embassy, the interviewer asked simple questions. Didn't mention anything regarding the engagement ceremony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.