Ptitchou

Beneficiary job loss, any chance of expedite?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To preface, I have been reading a lot of the previous threads on the expedite topic, but I'm not finding much on this particular situation. I'm sure I'll get a few flames in here too, but it's still worth a try to just ask...

I am the beneficiary and our PD is July 24, 2019 for the i-130 at Potomac. It seems that the processing times have been going up, but we're hoping to get NOA2 in January? Being in Canada, I know the wait times from CC to interview in Montreal can be up to 6 months now.

We were fully prepared to wait it out while I stayed here working for my company, but now it turns out I'm about to be out of a job. I'm looking for a new one, but it's looking grim and if my company fully goes under, I can say goodbye to any cushion of severence. Unemployment isn't enough to cover my rent and bills alone in my city, plus we already have a 3 week honeymoon booked that's non-refundable in February. (Please don't judge about booking non-refundable, it's what we could afford.) Not all of it is paid for yet, and of course there are the expenditures once there. My husband still wants us to go, but I will lose any unemployment pay for any days I am out of the country. This also means I have to cancel my Christmas visit. My husband could help pay for things, but it would be really hard given that my rent is higher than his mortgage (yay Urban life). Ultimately I'm far more worried about paying my bills alone than I am about our honeymoon (though losing those thousands we already put down does really hurt.)

I have friends in his state who have job leads for me once I'm settled, but that doesn't help me now.

So the TL;DR is, do we have any possibility of applying for an expedite? Most posts seem to say the financial hardship reason would only apply to the petitioner, not the beneficiary. But the USCIS list of reasons doesn't seem to state this? 

If we do attempt it, would we wait until we get the NOA2 and apply to NVC for expedite? I know we're almost through the USCIS stage (I hope), but that insane backlog at Montreal is brutal. I'm just grasping at straws here, but hoping to find something that might help us if I'm not able to find work in the next few months. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ptitchou said:

Wasn't sure if it counted as financial hardship if the petitioner has to support two households but figured it was worth a shot to ask if anyone had tried. Thanks.

If this was allowed, lots of intending immigrants would fake job losses.  Jobs they intend to leave anyways.  Too easy to manipulate.  

Your financial woes are not the responsibility or concern of the US government, I’m sorry to say. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am a firm believer if in doubt Expedite, and I have seen some weird ones approved. I would not assume yours would.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No harm in trying. Doesn’t seem like a strong case, though. As noted, this would be easily exploitable if it was generally a basis to expedite.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thanks all. I figured this would likely be the case. My company is still standing, but given that our investors are being difficult, we don't know for how long. It is, of course easier to find something when you're still employed, but I'm in a bit of panic mode looking ahead, so I'm just looking at all my options here.

Good luck to everyone else still going through the process!

Edited by Ptitchou

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My advice would be to simultaneously try for an expedite but prepare and immediately implement austerity measures in the assumption the expedite will be denied.  Your rent, need not stay the same.  Austerity is the solution.  In a lease?  Break it.  Landlords tend to understand hardship better than USCIS or NVC.  With no job, you are not required to live in the big city.  Use your imagination.  Be flexible.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

My advice would be to simultaneously try for an expedite but prepare and immediately implement austerity measures in the assumption the expedite will be denied.  Your rent, need not stay the same.  Austerity is the solution.  In a lease?  Break it.  Landlords tend to understand hardship better than USCIS or NVC.  With no job, you are not required to live in the big city.  Use your imagination.  Be flexible.

Thank you. I'm actually looking at applying for remote tech jobs so that I can move to a smaller town. Austerity measures already being implemented. Gotta make sure I get a jump on this. 

I suppose it doesn't actually cost anything to attempt an expedite while not expecting anything to come of it. I appreciate the reply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

OP was just asking a question. That's what VJ is for: seeking advice from others.

OP, I hope it all ends well.  Seems like you're on the right track in terms of austerity measures etc.  This will pass and you and your partner will be together and this time will fade in terms of its hardship.

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Trying to expedite won’t hurt if it feel like ferrying in one of the criteria. If they won’t deny it right away be prepared to fax supporting documents for your expedite request , they will provide fax number and all for additional evidence. Then it’s up to 30 days for a decision on an expedite request. Good luck 

Timeline

I can understand with losing a job, its tough to survive. I hope you get your process soon. Jobs are tough these to find any where in the world not only Canada! best of luck with everything!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.