Proving false claim to be USC

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, NikLR said:

I-9

Voting

DL 

I9s are not submitted to the IRS and are maintained in the individual employer files only 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, TorontoCalifornia said:

So if it was an I9 then the only way USCIS would find out would be if it was disclosed?

If you're thinking about lying about it, know that if/when it comes up, you will be stripped of whatever immigration benefit you have received.

Material misrepresentation and lying about it will get you TWO un-waiverable bans

Edited by Mollie09

36 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

If you're thinking about lying about it, know that if/when it comes up, you will be stripped of whatever immigration benefit you have received.

Material misrepresentation and lying about it will get you TWO un-waiverable bans

What’s the difference? One or two? The end result is the same, no? Or is one negotiable, but two makes it less so? 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, TorontoCalifornia said:

What’s the difference? One or two? The end result is the same, no? Or is one negotiable, but two makes it less so? 

No, neither of them is negotiable. If you lied about being a US citizen to obtain a benefit (like employment) you are already banned.

Timeline

Lying on the I-9 could come up during the AOS process background check on you, or if not then, at a later stage of becoming a legal resident (ROC) or citizen.  Check this out for an explanation of what you are risking by claiming on a US government document that you were a US citizen but are not:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-checking-citizen-national-form-i-9-can-ruin-your-chance-green-card.html

Edited by carmel34

1) They would need to disclose it. Nobody is going to suggest that somebody do anything other than disclose the truth.

2) The government has the ability to check against a host of sources. The specifics don't matter due to #1.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, TorontoCalifornia said:

Even having one misrepresentation is bad. But with one, maybe you were naive, young, stupid mistake, uninformed, or careless.

With two it is viewed as habitual.. and that leads to being perceived as an immoral character.

Unless you have been missing the news regarding immigration and this current administration, being an immigrant who commits misrepresentation (and more than one for that matter) should be avoided at all cost.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.