Sunfl0wer

DCF from Canada and expediting is possible

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure where to post but I just wanted my story out there in case anyone else gets in the same position as I was.  
our history....

me Born in Canada. My husband born in USA. He came to Canada, became a permanent resident, we met and got married we had 3 children to whom we all gave born abroad status to when they were born in case they ever in their lives wanted to go live in the United States. My husband became a Canadian citizen. Life was good. Fast forward 12 years he gets the job offer of his life in Philadelphia and accepts without thinking bringing me would be an issue.  
We filed I130 in March and got Nebraska. I was led to believe there was nothing I could do to expedite our case so we just sat for months waiting for something to happen.  In Aug we got fed up, hired a lawyer who wrote to the Montreal office asking for DCF. They gave us an appointment in Toronto to file DCF Aug 30. We heard  back Sept 30 with packet 3, sent that back, packet 4 came on Oct 3rd with interview Date Oct 18th. I needed to get a police check and medical done in that short time. Unfortunately my police report didn't get returned to me in time (I did it Oct 4 at commisionaires, showed completed Oct 7 but never  arrived in the mail until Oct 23) I went to my interview they only really asked about my police check and if I have ever been in the US longer then 6 months. Gave me a form to send back free courier with my police report and passport said everything else was fine. I couriered back on Oct 23. They sent it back to me on Oct 30 complete. I drove directly across the border, they processed me quickly at the border. So total process took exactly 2 months from dcf to permanent resident even without having my police check at the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

DCF can be done at any Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

DCF can be done at any Consulate.

I was told no DCF in Canada, someone told me it was done through Mexico, all kinds of stuff. If you google DCF in Canada you will find multiple sites saying does not exist. I just wanted to share my story In case it could help others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just a question of different requirements to meet, not that it can not be done at all, you had a job relocation.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Sunfl0wer said:

I was told no DCF in Canada, someone told me it was done through Mexico, all kinds of stuff. If you google DCF in Canada you will find multiple sites saying does not exist. I just wanted to share my story In case it could help others.

The decision to be processed is made through the office in Mexico, but the actual processing is in Canada still.

DCF is not generally available due to the lack of a USCIS field office. Exceptional circumstances applies anywhere, though.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

again, just sharing my story because I asked on this site back in March how I could get my family together as fast as possible I got a lot of sorry not possible, just wait it out like everyone else - you'll be together in 12-15 months.  Nobody once said oh he had a job offer, you can file dcf and get there in 2 months.  Guess I shouldn't have bothered posting my story thinking it could actually provide some encouragement for others in a similar situation.

1 minute ago, Sunfl0wer said:

again, just sharing my story because I asked on this site back in March how I could get my family together as fast as possible I got a lot of sorry not possible, just wait it out like everyone else - you'll be together in 12-15 months.  Nobody once said oh he had a job offer, you can file dcf and get there in 2 months.  Guess I shouldn't have bothered posting my story thinking it could actually provide some encouragement for others in a similar situation.

I was just clarifying what the process was. I said nothing to discourage it from being posted, shared, etc. I figured understanding the process would be helpful for others who may read the thread.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 hours ago, Sunfl0wer said:

Wow, thanks for sharing.  I had a new job offer last year and no one, not even a lawyer we consulted told us of that option.  We finally have our interview in two weeks after originally filing in April 2018.  I do hope your posting will help others!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to DCF, from IR1/CR1 Progress reports.- This is a DCF update.~~

Mod hat off. 

I want to say your process is very different from the experience of others. Normally you don't do anything in Toronto and must ask for permission from the office in Mexico. Also others who have tried to do DCF after they already started the process are denied DCF as they have a petition already started. This is a completely new thing that seems to have only happened once before. That is unless the other thread I read about going through Toronto was also from you. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Very rare and interesting! Thank you for sharing. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, NikLR said:

Very rare and interesting! Thank you for sharing. 

I agree, generally a job relocation is not considered an exceptional circumstance.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

I agree, generally a job relocation is not considered an exceptional circumstance.

It actually is. 

But the interesting part was contacting Montreal about DCF AND being deferred to Toronto.  I haven't seen it happen before.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
13 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

~~Moved to DCF, from IR1/CR1 Progress reports.- This is a DCF update.~~

Mod hat off. 

I want to say your process is very different from the experience of others. Normally you don't do anything in Toronto and must ask for permission from the office in Mexico. Also others who have tried to do DCF after they already started the process are denied DCF as they have a petition already started. This is a completely new thing that seems to have only happened once before. That is unless the other thread I read about going through Toronto was also from you. 

Hopefully others will read or remember to share my story and have success too, then we will have a long list. This is why I wanted to write it, in hopes of keeping families together. It was a difficult journey for our close little family to be without each other.  The lawyer mentioned the hardship of the family, the money of supporting 2 homes during the process but it was the job with the need for him to start immediately that got us the dcf expedite. I do not believe there was any Mexico but maybe behind the scenes.

Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

It actually is. 

But the interesting part was contacting Montreal about DCF AND being deferred to Toronto.  I haven't seen it happen before.  

They said they would take the I130 in Toronto as a courtesy to us because thats where we lived. 

Just now, Sunfl0wer said:

They said they would take the I130 in Toronto as a courtesy to us because thats where we lived. 

It's still very interesting.  Montreal is a 5 hour train ride to Toronto.  It's not like it's that far.  My CR1 interview wasn't in Calgary or Vancouver as a courtesy for where I lived.  I think it's VERY cool that this worked out for you this way. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.