travis1983

TAX BREAK FOR SUPPORTING FOREIGN SPOUSE?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello

My wife is waiting on her Spousal Visa in Manila, filed in sept 2018. I am filing taxes in April and always do MFS as she has no SSN.

Question: If I still want to file MFS and she has no SSN or ITIN (no plans to obtain one)  is it possible to deduct the money I send her monthly from my tax bill?

I send about 600 a month to her. Can this be deducted?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Doubtful. I live in the GREY area when it comes to doing taxes, but I don't see how you can swing it without proof it was used for education, or something that is deductible, and then you would need proof of the deduction being legitimate. Basically the IRS is going to consider any money you sent her as a gift, and I can't think of a way to write it off ( And I write off everything). I will run it by my tax guy, but I know I couldn't write off any money I was sending to my fiancee at the time while waiting for her to arrive on her visa. But maybe someone who has had success in doing this someway can help. I know I will be using her as a deduction next year and filing MFJ, as she has only worked part time this year and didn't make too much money.

Called my tax guy, he says NO on that. But he did send me this link for you to check out.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Nonresident-Spouse-Treated-as-a-Resident

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Doubtful. I live in the GREY area when it comes to doing taxes, but I don't see how you can swing it without proof it was used for education, or something that is deductible, and then you would need proof of the deduction being legitimate. Basically the IRS is going to consider any money you sent her as a gift, and I can't think of a way to write it off ( And I write off everything). I will run it by my tax guy, but I know I couldn't write off any money I was sending to my fiancee at the time while waiting for her to arrive on her visa. But maybe someone who has had success in doing this someway can help. I know I will be using her as a deduction next year and filing MFJ, as she has only worked part time this year and didn't make too much money.

Called my tax guy, he says NO on that. But he did send me this link for you to check out.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Nonresident-Spouse-Treated-as-a-Resident

Interesting, thanks. I do, however spend money on her US-online based education. Could that be deducted?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Why wouldn't you apply for the ITIN and do married filing jointly?

Many of us support family back home and there is no way to deduct the money we send

but you can add your wife to tax returns 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Timeline
4 minutes ago, travis1983 said:

Interesting, thanks. I do, however spend money on her US-online based education. Could that be deducted?

That might be a possibility because you will have a receipt from the online school and proof it was used for education. I am writing off about 6000 dollars I spent on my now wife's education this past year, but she was already here and had a SS number when enrolled in the school. Actually I'll be writing it off on her side of the taxes I believe as she is the one that attended school. but I am writing off tuition, books, everything down to the pens and paper I bought for her.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Taxes and Finances, from IR1/CR1 P&P- the question is about taxes.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Married filing jointly with a W-7 attached, requesting an ITIN for the foreign spouse is the way to go as it usually ends up giving you the lowest tax liability, more possible deductions, and a larger refund.  My husband and I did this in April for our 2018 taxes while he was still living in Brazil.  Good luck!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
19 hours ago, travis1983 said:

Hello

My wife is waiting on her Spousal Visa in Manila, filed in sept 2018. I am filing taxes in April and always do MFS as she has no SSN.

Question: If I still want to file MFS and she has no SSN or ITIN (no plans to obtain one)  is it possible to deduct the money I send her monthly from my tax bill?

I send about 600 a month to her. Can this be deducted?

No deductions.  The $600/month is a personal expense that is not deductible. 

19 hours ago, travis1983 said:

No.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Loren Y said:

That might be a possibility because you will have a receipt from the online school and proof it was used for education. I am writing off about 6000 dollars I spent on my now wife's education this past year, but she was already here and had a SS number when enrolled in the school. Actually I'll be writing it off on her side of the taxes I believe as she is the one that attended school. but I am writing off tuition, books, everything down to the pens and paper I bought for her.

You may want to check with a CPA.  Your wife can not deduct personal expenses like books, pens and paper.

19 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Married filing jointly with a W-7 attached, requesting an ITIN for the foreign spouse is the way to go as it usually ends up giving you the lowest tax liability, more possible deductions, and a larger refund.  My husband and I did this in April for our 2018 taxes while he was still living in Brazil.  Good luck!

Ding. Ding.  Winner winner chicken dinner.

Get an ITIN and file a joint return.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

You may want to check with a CPA.  Your wife can not deduct personal expenses like books, pens and paper.

True, she can't, but I bought the pens, paper, etc for her, and I'll write them off on my schedule C as a business expenses, along with the other office supplies I use.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, travis1983 said:

Nope.  You are precluded from deducting her expenses because you are filing separate.   

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

True, she can't, but I bought the pens, paper, etc for her, and I'll write them off on my schedule C as a business expenses, along with the other office supplies I use.

So, you're okay with committing tax fraud by writing off your wife's personal expenses as business expenses? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is locked because of discussion of tax fraud.  Do not restart this topic or revisit it elsewhere.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.