goldhex

Possible to go into *too much* detail?

31 posts in this topic

Me and my Fiancee have been dating for 5 years and just got engaged last week. Safe to say we have a lot of evidence of our relationship.

For our evidence of in-person meeting what created a word document containing details from each visit we've both taken between the UK and US to see each other since our relationship began containing photos, boarding passes, passport scans. Currently the document is 2000+ words and 20+ pages and I haven't put in the evidence for 2018 or 2019 yet.

My question is have I gone overboard? I'm aware this level of detail is probably unnecessary but will it be a negative to our application?

Cheers all!

Edited by goldhex

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, goldhex said:

Me and my Fiancee have been dating for 5 years and just got engaged last week. Safe to say we have a lot of evidence of our relationship.

For our evidence of in-person meeting what created a word document containing details from each visit we've both taken between the UK and US to see each other since our relationship began containing photos, boarding passes, passport scans. Currently the document is 2000+ words and 20+ pages and I haven't put in the evidence for 2018 or 2019 yet.

My question is have I gone overboard? I'm aware this level of detail is probably unnecessary but will it be a negative to our application?

Cheers all!

Relationship evidence is an embassy interview request, not a petition requirement 

YMMV

If this is for your K1 application, they only need to know that you meet the criteria such as you have met in person.  So yes, it sounds like overkill, but handy to keep for the interviews in the future.

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

2 minutes ago, DJClaire said:

If this is for your K1 application, they only need to know that you meet the criteria such as you have met in person.  So yes, it sounds like overkill, but handy to keep for the interviews in the future.

9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Relationship evidence is an embassy interview request, not a petition requirement 

Yeah this is part of the i-129F filing. So rather than including all this info now, would it be better to just do as much info as possible for my current visit to the US? (got boarding passes, passport stamp, i94 etc?). Thanks guys.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The requirements of the K1 visa petition are:

You may file this petition if you are a U.S. citizen and:

1. You and your fiancé(e):

1. Are legally free to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s admission to the United States; and

2. Have met each other in person within the two years immediately before you filed this petition,

REF: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f , Instructions

Yes, you have gone way overboard! Save your and the adjudicator's time, save the trees, and keep in mind that all they want to know about that you have met each other with the last two years, and intend to get married to your beneficiary within 90 days of their US entry. They will read you novella, but what is the point? The system is already overloaded with applications, an application with > 2000 pages of evidence will only slow down the system even more, and is unnecessary. As others have posted, don't clog up the mail system with with relationship evidence, save that for the visa interview at the London embassy. Besides if you read in the UK Regional Forum, the bar for visa approval is relatively low compared to other areas of the world. Save your novella for your coffee table and show it off to your friends .

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

3 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

The requirements of the K1 visa petition are:

REF: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f , Instructions

Yes, you have gone way overboard! Save your and the adjudicator's time, save the trees, and keep in mind that all they want to know about that you have met each other with the last two years, and intend to get married to your beneficiary within 90 days of their US entry. They will read you novella, but what is the point? The system is already overloaded with applications, an application with > 2000 pages of evidence will only slow down the system even more, and is unnecessary. As others have posted, don't clog up the mail system with with relationship evidence, save that for the visa interview at the London embassy. Besides if you read in the UK Regional Forum, the bar for visa approval is relatively low compared to other areas of the world. Save your novella for your coffee table and show it off to your friends .

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thanks for your reply! *20 pages not 2000 thankfully ;)

I was just wanting to make clear that we do have a real relationship, but it sounds like it'll come in useful for the visa interview anyway.

Timeline
Just now, goldhex said:

Thanks for your reply! *20 pages not 2000 thankfully ;)

I was just wanting to make clear that we do have a real relationship, but it sounds like it'll come in useful for the visa interview anyway.

20 pages = still too many. Keep it short and sweet, i.e., from the last two years forward, make it a report, not a novella. B-)

1 minute ago, Pitaya said:

20 pages = still too many. Keep it short and sweet, i.e., from the last two years forward, make it a report, not a novella. B-)

Ha you're right :)

Over the past 2 years I've visited 9 times, should I document all those visits or just the most recent?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, goldhex said:

Ha you're right :)

Over the past 2 years I've visited 9 times, should I document all those visits or just the most recent?

Sounds like you have plenty of opportunities for evidence. Take a look at the VJ K1 Visa Guide for examples of the type of evidence you should be including.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I would suggest you make a document mentioning the range of dates of each visit   and a brief resume of the place and reason ( 1or 2 sentences per international flight). 

As for the images   scan all your passport's stamps for when you traveled (we also added the recepits of his hotel and flight tickets). And only consider detailed photos of you together for the last year (or 6 last visits)  2 photos of each place or less. 

Edited by Mary&Alex

K1

08/24/2019: I-129F Mailed

08/26/2019: NOA1 Text Message

12/13/2019: NOA2 (through tracking app)

AOS

08/08/20 Documents sent

08/27/20 Check cashed

08/31/20 SMS received

09/08/20 NOA received

event.png

14 minutes ago, laylalex said:

My experience going through London was that at the interview, they had *no* interest in looking at the evidence I had my then-fiance (now my ex) bring with him. We'd been together for five years at that point too (this was back in 2010). I don't think they looked at a single photograph at his interview, they just asked him a couple of questions about me, where I lived, what I did for a living, etc., and if he understood the requirement to marry in 90 days. It's seriously overkill for London to even bring along to the interview. While it's a nice document to have for yourself, no one at the consulate is going to want to see it! :) 

Ha excellent :)

In terms of the I-129F in-person meeting evidence, do you remember what you filed?

Thanks for your reply!

50 minutes ago, goldhex said:

Ha excellent :)

In terms of the I-129F in-person meeting evidence, do you remember what you filed?

Thanks for your reply!

Oh gosh, forgive me if I forget some stuff because (1) it was 9 years ago and (2) I am over in the UK right now and it's after midnight (and I had a couple glasses of wine :blush:). Well, I know we got an RFE because I forgot to put in copies of passport stamps/boarding passes, etc. showing we were in the same place at the same time, so I had to submit those later.  I put in pictures and a long statement on how we met and all the time we have been together but I think I didn't include the passport stamps or anything that what VJ people call "primary" evidence. But we fixed it in the end. :) I look back on it now and think: I can't believe I got so stressed out about all of it! (I was losing my mind near the end, because I was trying to plan a wedding at the same time as all of it -- pro tip, do NOT plan a "proper" wedding to coincide with what you *think* will be a date you'll have the visa by! I was on Klonopin at one point, no joke. Okay, I can joke about it now!) 

I'm getting remarried in the new year to another person (from Scotland) but he is over in the US already on an L1 visa so we are just doing AOS. I have promised myself I will pay attention to detail but not go insane like last time. You can do this!!! London is one of the most straightforward consulates out there. I think the best bits of advice I can give are pay attention to detail, and ask for help on VJ. They really do have pretty much all the answers. :) 

2 hours ago, goldhex said:

Slightly confused whether I should just go into detail on the most recent visit or not? 

No details are required.  We went through a similar consulate to London, and had as many visits as you did, over a period of several years.  We really only wrote down the dates in the space provided for Q 54 (I think?), and included copies of the corresponding passport stamps.  Thats it.  No "story of how we met," snapshots, "evidence of ongoing relationship," etc.   None of that is needed, or useful, for low fraud countries.

Adding things not required or requested at the petition stage just makes it take longer for them to adjudicate it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.