yuna628

Maryland Teen Given Botched Implant By School without Parental Consent

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

I read this as "put a buffet in their head."  Must be past lunchtime...

I like Jimmy Buffet.  I remember back when he still lived down here in Key West, then he had kids and decided this wasn't the place to raise them LOL.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

for someone who doesn’t really like buffets

I actually love most buffets.  Overpaying for them is another matter entirely.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Just now, Neonred said:

Jimmy Buffet

Didn't he make the ultimate sacrifice in Soylent Green, or in the very recent instance of Alexandria Occasional-Cortex's town hall?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The problem is, a teenager may be able to consent to the implant, but they won’t be able to give consent for the medical treatment required when something goes wrong. There is also not the usual family history discussion. My wife can’t take birth control because she gets severe issues with clotting and prolonged bleeding. Would it really be a good idea for my daughter to go through that without really understanding the potential consequences.

Fortunately, my daughter actually discussed these things with us. I’m not even really against teenagers being able to give consent, but I do think parents should be notified, especially with younger teens.  We are ultimately responsible for their health and well being. We cant provide that when part of it is going on behind our back.

The worst part is, if a teenager feels like she has to hide birth control from her parents, she probably will also try to hide it if things go bad. I think it’s a short sighted policy. I’m not a fan of any scenario where we do something and have to hope for the best for it to succeed. Things do go wrong.

I totally understand you -- and you are a dad who is very much involved in your daughter's life in a positive way. I guess I think about what I hope to be the outlier situations -- where a parent poses a risk to their child, by denying access to BC when it is needed. Amongst my own friends are several who absolutely cannot take hormonal BC, and have had to advocate for themselves with healthcare professionals that the pill or an implant or the hormonal coil is NOT an option. (Some doctors simply won't believe them, which I think is nuts, but then I have had several doctors tell me I don't know whatever thing about my health when I know full well the issue.)

So what do you with the situations where on balance NOT informing the parents is the better choice? Should we place these girls in more dangerous situations because in an ideal world their parents wouldn't be monsters?

1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

I actually love most buffets.  Overpaying for them is another matter entirely.

I was surprised you thought $15 was overpaying. If I take the kids to BK, I’ll pay $15, and I’m not even eating.   

Even a generic chain restaurant around here would run us $100 or so for 2 adults and 2 kids.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I was surprised you thought $15 was overpaying. If I take the kids to BK, I’ll pay $15, and I’m not even eating.   

Even a generic chain restaurant around here would run us $100 or so for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Returned from Prague earlier this week.  The food (and beer) was good and a bargain.  If one stays away from the very worst tourist spots, a fine meal with beers for two people was running $25 to $30 total.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I totally understand you -- and you are a dad who is very much involved in your daughter's life in a positive way. I guess I think about what I hope to be the outlier situations -- where a parent poses a risk to their child, by denying access to BC when it is needed. Amongst my own friends are several who absolutely cannot take hormonal BC, and have had to advocate for themselves with healthcare professionals that the pill or an implant or the hormonal coil is NOT an option. (Some doctors simply won't believe them, which I think is nuts, but then I have had several doctors tell me I don't know whatever thing about my health when I know full well the issue.)

So what do you with the situations where on balance NOT informing the parents is the better choice? Should we place these girls in more dangerous situations because in an ideal world their parents wouldn't be monsters?

Limit it to emergency contraception. Like the morning after pill maybe. I don’t have a perfect answer I guess. Perhaps allow exceptions for cases where there are documented issues. Or if social services is already involved, allow the teen to go through them.

When I was a teen, all we had is condoms. If I didn’t have one, sometimes all I could do is have another beer instead. It was a choice, and a high priority for me was not to have a kid while I still was one. Not a perfect world back then either, but I felt like a condom (or lack of one) was something I understood the consequences of.  Birth control implant, I’m not so sure I would have.

10 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Returned from Prague earlier this week.  The food (and beer) was good and a bargain.  If one stays away from the very worst tourist spots, a fine meal with beers for two people was running $25 to $30 total.

Reminds me of when we used to go to Mexico for a week. Before it got scary. It was cheaper to stay at a nice all inclusive hotel for a week down there than to go to restaurants here for the same amount of time. Then the kids came along. Nothing messes up vacations like toddlers.

2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Reminds me of when we used to go to Mexico for a week. Before it got scary. It was cheaper to stay at a nice all inclusive hotel for a week down there than to go to restaurants here for the same amount of time. Then the kids came along. Nothing messes up vacations like toddlers.

You ain't lying about that one. I took my family to a buffet the other day for dinner and I left their $80 less than I can in with. That's because it was me, my wife, and our kids (12, 10, and 6). Luckily they didn't charge the 2 year old. 

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

You ain't lying about that one. I took my family to a buffet the other day for dinner and I left their $80 less than I can in with. That's because it was me, my wife, and our kids (12, 10, and 6). Luckily they didn't charge the 2 year old. 

We have one here where kids eat free on certain days, but it’s like a zoo. My wife will take the kids sometimes, but I refuse to go through that. I’d rather just pay more and enjoy the meal.

I recommend everyone marry a wealthy spouse, have an excellent prenup and then receive sufficient alimony to support their restaurant habits with their new significant others, including any children that may come with the new SO. It works for me! 

As a father to 3 daughters with my oldest being almost 13 and in 7th grade. I would.have a problem on a couple different levels. The first one is that didn't get my consent to do this at all, and the second one is if she had a allergic reaction to this.

3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

We have one here where kids eat free on certain days, but it’s like a zoo. My wife will take the kids sometimes, but I refuse to go through that. I’d rather just pay more and enjoy the meal.

Yeah we couldn't decide on what to eat that day when we went into the city to the Asian store. So we just choose a Chinese buffet that I was not happy with at all. The closest buffet has that deal on Tuesdays or something like that.

1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

As a father to 3 daughters with my oldest being almost 13 and in 7th grade. I would.have a problem on a couple different levels. The first one is that didn't get my consent to do this at all, and the second one is if she had a allergic reaction to this.

I could probably accept it (grudgingly) if my daughter got one at 17 without telling us. I would have absolutely lost it if it happened at 13.

59 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Well as @yuna628 stated, this nurse was apparently not well trained.

I just reviewed another article: the majority of the schools mentioned do not even have a certified nurse or nurse assistant! The nurses union released a statement stating that they demand the schools provide a certified nurse at each location for safety. The article also showed a chart of how many kids were given birth control or related devices for the 2017-2018 year, in about 8 locations. It was roughly 164ish kids, and while the majority 80 were for Plan B, there was an alarming ratio of kids who were not offered the standard pill vs being offered stronger stuff like Depro or implanted devices. None of these individuals had training to do it and many of these devices have never been tested on individuals younger than 18 years of age.

50 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The problem is, a teenager may be able to consent to the implant, but they won’t be able to give consent for the medical treatment required when something goes wrong. There is also not the usual family history discussion. My wife can’t take birth control because she gets severe issues with clotting and prolonged bleeding. Would it really be a good idea for my daughter to go through that without really understanding the potential consequences.

Fortunately, my daughter actually discussed these things with us. I’m not even really against teenagers being able to give consent, but I do think parents should be notified, especially with younger teens.  We are ultimately responsible for their health and well being. We cant provide that when part of it is going on behind our back.

The worst part is, if a teenager feels like she has to hide birth control from her parents, she probably will also try to hide it if things go bad. I think it’s a short sighted policy. I’m not a fan of any scenario where we do something and have to hope for the best for it to succeed. Things do go wrong.

The problem that bothers me the most, isn't the consent factor (although that does bother me greatly), it's that these young girls are not receiving care from trained individuals who are screening for potential problems. We aren't cookie cutters, and implanted devices come with further risks than traditional pills. The pills are not without risks themselves and side effects - can a child really comprehend that? We also don't know why these kids are coming in. Clearly some are coming in because of pregnancies. How many of them are because of rapes that aren't being reported? Did the kid come in because she was having gynecological issues vs just being sexually active? If the nurse has no training, then they are not qualified to understand what product would help the child best. :ranting:

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23