Marylander

Spouse visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Guy,

We applied for K-1 visa but had religious wedding on March , 2019 during K-1 visa process. We had K-1 visa  interview in July, 2019 and case send back to USCIS with 221g. So we decide to apply spousal visa. Will there be any problem for being marry in March and not told the counselor in the k1 interview if we apply for spouse visa now? Our marriage certificate date was March. 2019. Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Marylander said:

Hi Guy,

We applied for K-1 visa but had religious wedding on March , 2019 during K-1 visa process. We had K-1 visa  interview in July, 2019 and case send back to USCIS with 221g. So we decide to apply spousal visa. Will there be any problem for being marry in March and not told the counselor in the k1 interview if we apply for spouse visa now? Our marriage certificate date was March. 2019. Thanks

Was that the reason for the refusal?

YMMV

Timeline

No.  the reason for refusal is interviewer didn't believe that we are genuine couple and didn't think we are going to get marry in US.

We didn't tell them we had a religious wedding.

Edited by Marylander

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Marylander said:

No.  the reason for refusal is interviewer didn't believe that we are genuine couple and didn't think we are going to get marry in US.

We didn't tell them we had a religious wedding.

In other words the CO was right about you two not getting married in the US.

Anyway, unless they scrutinize about you two so deeply that they find that the beneficiary lied during the K1 interview (already married but trying for K1 visa), I don’t see an issue pursuing spousal visa.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Marylander said:

Will there be any problem for being marry in March and not told the counselor in the k1 interview if we apply for spouse visa now? Our marriage certificate date was March. 2019. Thanks

Did you misrepresent any facts during your interview? IE Did they ask if you got married/had any ceremony? If so how did you answer

Timeline

Same issue here. Got married in Feb. Went for K1 visa interview in April and got approved. But we got a call from embassy two days later and was told that they have to cancel the visa. They called us back and said they got proof that we had a religious wedding. 

We were told by the embassy officer to do spouse visa

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Marylander said:

Hi Guy,

What is 221g??

We had the same issue. But I don't know about 221g.. what is it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Should not be a total block, just adds the potential of a waiver which means time and money.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, arken said:

In other words the CO was right about you two not getting married in the US.

Anyway, unless they scrutinize about you two so deeply that they find that the beneficiary lied during the K1 interview (already married but trying for K1 visa), I don’t see an issue pursuing spousal visa.

I honestly don't think the CO still don't know we did religious wedding. We were still plan to marry in US for friends and family in US.

Not even come up married question during interview. That was church ceremony and I don't think they can find out about the wedding. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Godknowsus said:

What is 221g??

We had the same issue. But I don't know about 221g.. what is it?

221(g) is administrative hold letter that they give you after interview basically Refusal or need more information. Either the essential information is missing from an application (or additional information is required), or that an application has been placed on administrative hold.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Should not be a total block, just adds the potential of a waiver which means time and money.

Just hoping that it will be OK. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Godknowsus said:

Same issue here. Got married in Feb. Went for K1 visa interview in April and got approved. But we got a call from embassy two days later and was told that they have to cancel the visa. They called us back and said they got proof that we had a religious wedding. 

We were told by the embassy officer to do spouse visa

How do they find out you had a religious wedding. Did you tell them?  Did you apply for spousal visa? I was thinking since they hasn't find out we had a religious wedding just go to the court and get marry and apply with that marriage certificate.

Timeline
2 hours ago, designguy said:

Did you misrepresent any facts during your interview? IE Did they ask if you got married/had any ceremony? If so how did you answer

No. The question never come up. They only ask a few question. How do you meet? Do you speak same language? What do your fiance do for living? what is your fiance name,age, religous? etc..

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Marylander said:

How do they find out you had a religious wedding. Did you tell them?  Did you apply for spousal visa? I was thinking since they hasn't find out we had a religious wedding just go to the court and get marry and apply with that marriage certificate.

I still don't know how they found out. They didn't ask during interview and we didn't tell since it wasn't a legal marriage . It was at church only.  It was 2 days after the visa was issued on passport.. they called my husband and told him he can't travel to US with that visa. they scheduled a second interview and when he went, they stamped 'cancelled' on his issued visa. 😢 We cried for weeks after that happened. It took us a while to come out of it.. 

We got married at church because my dad was very ill and he wanted to see our marriage. We only did the ceremony at church. We didn't register legally.  So we thought it would still be okay to move forward with k1 visa process. We didn't know that it would affect our fiance visa process. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Marylander said:

Yes I filed I-130 petition last month. 

During the second interview, My husband asked the officer what should we do now.. officer said we can apply for spouse visa.

Hopefully the previous k1 visa issue won't affect this one 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.