Boiler

Women’s magazines are more progressive than ever – and they’re all closing down

127 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Readers of women’s magazines have had a rough few years. Every few months another titan falls and today we are mourning the UK print edition of Marie Claire, which at 31 has had its life cut short by the prolific killer, “social media”. Its other victims include Lucky, More!, Look and InStyle UK. Marie Claire will live on in the digital afterlife (and in print in other markets where it continues to be published, such as Australia, France and the US), alongside Glamour, which went digital first in 2017, cutting its print edition to twice a year.

It is an epidemic. Cosmopolitan saw its print circulation drop by a third in the last half of 2018; weeklies Woman and Woman’s Own were down 20% and 19% respectively. Now magazine dropped 43%.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/11/womens-magazines-are-more-progressive-than-ever-and-theyre-all-closing-down

To be fair it is not just Progressive Womxns media but all Progressive media that is getting hit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

As a consumer of women's magazines, the reason I think why print editions are closing is because people are just buying less print media. It's not because they're progressive or not. I have a couple of magazines I get print editions of still -- Vanity Fair and Food & Wine -- but really I only read the print edition of Food & Wine. I do read Vanity Fair, but on my iPad, which is where I read Marie Claire, Allure, etc. Neither of these are women's mags though (not at all). F&W is great in print because I am still more comfortable dealing with recipes on paper than on a screen I might get gloppy with ingredients.

The reality is that people read a lot more on devices than on print now. If you think it's because magazines are too woke... nah. And as for the small online only ones like Rookie (I was too old for that, I though), the Hairpin and the Toast, there just wasn't the money coming in in terms of advertising. The Hairpin and The Toast were awesome -- very intelligent, very smart, and they had amazing online communities. 

I would say it's not really women-centric publications taking a hit, but any form of print media overall. People are moving over to e-subs on their e-readers etc. It is cheaper for the subscriber, and overall cheaper for the company to produce - less staff and less overhead. Personally I cannot stand when news is put behind a paywall, but it is a sign of the times. Never was one for those lady-mags - though I do take a peek at Vanity Fair on occasion for good articles. These days there's not much interesting in such magazines except for ads. Need a recipe? You can find it online. Need a recommendation, you can find it online. Want a product review for fashion, makeup? You can find it online. Want to know handyman stuff - youtube is your friend.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Readers of women’s magazines have had a rough few years. Every few months another titan falls and today we are mourning the UK print edition of Marie Claire, which at 31 has had its life cut short by the prolific killer, “social media”. Its other victims include Lucky, More!, Look and InStyle UK. Marie Claire will live on in the digital afterlife (and in print in other markets where it continues to be published, such as Australia, France and the US), alongside Glamour, which went digital first in 2017, cutting its print edition to twice a year.

It is an epidemic. Cosmopolitan saw its print circulation drop by a third in the last half of 2018; weeklies Woman and Woman’s Own were down 20% and 19% respectively. Now magazine dropped 43%.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/11/womens-magazines-are-more-progressive-than-ever-and-theyre-all-closing-down

To be fair it is not just Progressive Womxns media but all Progressive media that is getting hit.

To be fair it's almost all media that isn't free. There are a few sites that are worth paying for might survive. Since the advent of add blockers, there's no real business model that works.

People don't want to pay for rubbish and I don't need my bandwidth spammed over and over with whatever vegetable the gut doctor is telling America not to eat. It's the content providers turn to adapt.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Progressive media is dying because the message is dung.

Women's magazines are dying because women want to be men now. Women don't care to be stylish or made up or feminine anymore. Or at least not in the numbers it takes to support a publication.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Only womens magazine I used to read was playboy. Heard its quarterly now

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Only womens magazine I used to read was playboy. Heard its quarterly now

Quarterly and clothed, from what I gather. They must have been bought out by a Scottish publisher. :whistle: 😂

-

1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

Quarterly and clothed, from what I gather. They must have been bought out by a Scottish publisher. :whistle: 😂

I think i read they brought back nudes. Its got to be tuff with the internet. 

Of course at my age I would rather have the three piece special at KFC

19 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Women's magazines are dying because women want to be men now. Women don't care to be stylish or made up or feminine anymore. Or at least not in the numbers it takes to support a publication.

Really, and you know this because you are a consumer of women's periodicals like I am? Also, it's ridiculous to say that women don't want to indulge in fashion and beauty. Have you BEEN to the cosmetics counters at Barneys lately? I have. I take some care in how I look on a daily basis, a lot of it purely out of habit, but also because when I think I look nice, I feel more confident and more badass. 😎

May I suggest you are hanging out with the wrong women if you think women aren't stylish or made up or feminine any more? :P I'm sure you'd find I don't fit that mold!

5 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Really, and you know this because you are a consumer of women's periodicals like I am? Also, it's ridiculous to say that women don't want to indulge in fashion and beauty. Have you BEEN to the cosmetics counters at Barneys lately? I have. I take some care in how I look on a daily basis, a lot of it purely out of habit, but also because when I think I look nice, I feel more confident and more badass. 😎

May I suggest you are hanging out with the wrong women if you think women aren't stylish or made up or feminine any more? :P I'm sure you'd find I don't fit that mold!

And oddly enough most men prefer women with very little makep and simple style .Nothing sexier than a chick putting around the kitchen in cut offs and a tshirt

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0

6 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

And oddly enough most men prefer women with very little makep and simple style .Nothing sexier than a chick putting around the kitchen in cut offs and a tshirt

You would be surprised how much work goes into the natural look and simple style. I don't look overly done up every day -- BB cream, mascara and lipstick -- but there's a lot going on in terms of prep work to insure that my skin is in great condition. May I recommend you look into the 10-step Korean beauty regime if you want to see how long it can take! :lol: I also don't dress up all the time but I take time to look pulled together. The cutoffs and T-shirt look is for the fiance's eyes only.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

As laylalex points out... it's quality, not quantity. Cut-offs and t-shirt isn't quite my style, but I'm a man, I get the appeal. 😉

-

Timeline
27 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I "hang" around downtown L.A. That's probably where I've gone wrong, but I don't have much choice. It's ever over-done, or non-existent. There seems to be little in between. West coast women could learn a lot from the women in NYC. Which, coincidentally, where many of those magazines are/were published.

-

1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

I "hang" around downtown L.A. That's probably where I've gone wrong, but I don't have much choice. It's ever over-done, or non-existent. There seems to be little in between. West coast women could learn a lot from the women in NYC. Which, coincidentally, where many of those magazines are/were published.

Well, I know where you mean -- there are a lot of bars around there, so you get a bunch of women who are dressed up, made up, etc. And then of course there are a bunch of crunchy granola types that hang out near the galleries, so there's that too. I already know what you think about the Valley! :lol: It's just a different aesthetic in LA compared to NYC. I was much more West Coast vibey before I moved out to the East Coast for college, and I also changed my style a bit due to my ex-husband's personal preferences. I could wear a trash bag now and my fiance would think I look great, but I haven't tried that yet. :P 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I could wear a trash bag now and my fiance would think I look great, but I haven't tried that yet. :P 

That's what he says. Wait until the ring goes on.

-