Boiler

Women’s magazines are more progressive than ever – and they’re all closing down

127 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, laylalex said:

Honestly, I didn't even know it was possible to report! But now of course I see the "report post" button, duh. Thank you for thinking I'm not venomous -- I try not to be! It's not that I don't feel vindictiveness from time to time, but believe me, those feeling are saved for people in real life, not on the internets.

I'm not middle of the road, I'm aware I am slightly to the left. But I'm no AOC to be sure. What I do have is a sense of fairness that I look to to guide how I approach life. If people are acting fairly, considering multiple points of view, treating others with respect, even if ultimately we don't agree, I can respect that. What I don't like is people who just post what are supposed to be "pithy" one liners -- either on the right OR the left -- that don't consider the substance. Now, I may be guilty of breaking that from time to time, I'm not perfect (as can be seen from some recent "drinking while posting" posts :innocent: ) but I try to be reasonable, and I try to read what people I don't necessarily agree with are saying.

I am just the opposite. I like the 2 and 3 liners. Quick to the point and concise. I rarely read anything over a few lines, although I scan very quickly. What part of my brain that suffers for grammar and spelling, the part that is reading speed and comprehension is of world class proportions. I honestly was reading on a college level in the 4th grade

We use to have a poster here, who fashioned himself to be one of the smartest guys in the world. He would write volumes, which I could scan and summarize, and reply in one or two lines in a few seconds , of purposely degraded grammar and southern colloquial euphemisms.  It drove him quite mad. Literally. I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The same guy would become rabid, when I would talk about being in the middle of the road. He got to the point I singlehanded drove him so nuts he got banned, albeit undeserved to a degree.

Poor Poor guy was the only Pediatric resident I knew that had time to goof off on the net all day

19 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I am just the opposite. I like the 2 and 3 liners. Quick to the point and concise. I rarely read anything over a few lines, although I scan very quickly. What part of my brain that suffers for grammar and spelling, the part that is reading speed and comprehension is of world class proportions. I honestly was reading on a college level in the 4th grade

We use to have a poster here, who fashioned himself to be one of the smartest guys in the world. He would write volumes, which I could scan and summarize, and reply in one or two lines in a few seconds , of purposely degraded grammar and southern colloquial euphemisms.  It drove him quite mad. Literally. I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The same guy would become rabid, when I would talk about being in the middle of the road. He got to the point I singlehanded drove him so nuts he got banned, albeit undeserved to a degree.

Poor Poor guy was the only Pediatric resident I knew that had time to goof off on the net all day

Thank you for the background. I did read a lot on VJ before I started posting, and even then, I only was posting in areas like AOS from Work Visas (because Alex has an L1B) and Effects of Major Changes, because I had some familiarity with what happens when a marriage breaks apart and one spouse is an immigrant. When I went through the K1 before, I had an account here but I didn't post a lot. And when I went to look for the login details, I couldn't remember the username, password or even the email account (I suspect that I used a throwaway Yahoo account but I can't for the life of me remember what that was). All of this is to say... I'm new (duh) so I appreciate the background to a lot of what's said in here. 

I tend to write a lot because... well, like the saying goes, I apologize for the length of this letter, I didn't have time to write a short one! I kind of just start typing, and by the time I'm done it's Wall of Text. I am aware of this, always been aware of this. I tend to run on, meander and drift. But I also like to have the space to explore a topic. I mentioned somewhere else that I started writing a novel this summer, and believe it or not I somehow managed to write 100,000 words since my birthday in May. This is on top of my job and, uh, messing around here on VJ, and a couple of trips down to the LA area. I am going to need a good editor because I am nowhere near being done! :lol: 

But I get you -- we all put on an act to some extent online. It's performance -- we can play up this angle on ourselves, or another, or pretend we're a pediatric resident, I suppose. And I know that there are things I myself play up because I know it tugs a couple of chains, and it can be fun to do a little teasing. I don't take it too seriously, or I try not to. I've been in a situation online in the past where I took things way too seriously and it caused a great deal of anxiety in my life. My excuse (such as it is) is that I was young and very sensitive and dealing with the stress of planning a wedding at that time. Now I remind myself that we are only words on a screen here, and while we make connections through these words, they are just performance.

Ugh, wall of text again. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume you are familiar with the MDL?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I assume you are familiar with the MDL?

I have seen references to it, but not completely sure. From context it looks like it has to do with Democrats, but I can't figure out what the "M" and the "L" stand for then. Mega Democrat Love? Minority Democrat Losers? Pretty sure it's neither of those. :P 

Timeline

Muddy Ditch Left, used to be more around here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Muddy Ditch Left, used to be more around here.

Now I see Bill posted an explanation of the acronym yesterday in another thread, must have missed it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

encountered their rath

Weren't they bought out by Hormel or one of those others?

8 hours ago, laylalex said:

no AOC

You're right -- Rep. Occasional-Cortex has been uncharacteristically silent.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Miami will be gone in a few years per AoC

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Miami will be gone in a few years per AoC

I don't pay a lot of attention to what she says. Most Democrats don't. I know she takes up a lot of bandwidth in the media because she has a big megaphone and says provocative things which may have a kernel of truth in them. It doesn't hurt that she's attractive and young and pretty much lives to drive conservatives crazy. When people on the right repeat what she has said about this or that, all they're doing is adding a little bit of volume to that megaphone. She's not nearly as influential as the media would have you believe.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I don't pay a lot of attention to what she says. Most Democrats don't. I know she takes up a lot of bandwidth in the media because she has a big megaphone and says provocative things which may have a kernel of truth in them. It doesn't hurt that she's attractive and young and pretty much lives to drive conservatives crazy. When people on the right repeat what she has said about this or that, all they're doing is adding a little bit of volume to that megaphone. She's not nearly as influential as the media would have you believe.

Not just her, but the Squad, and they are influential at the primary level, Progressives make up less than 10% of the electorate but a much larger percentage of the Dem activists.

Again, that's very much the narrative that is being fed by the media. What national primaries have taken place since the Squad has come to Washington? Maybe a handful of special elections? There has been talk of primarying this or that Democrat in 2020, but (1) that's 2020 and (2) if primarying is successful, then there's a reason WHY the incumbent is voted out. Couldn't the same be said for all the Republicans who get primaried out by more conservative upstart candidates? Isn't that how Rand Paul and all those Tea Party guys came to Washington?

Checking out for a bit here, my turn to make Sunday breakfast. :) He can just about manage preparing bagels and cream cheese but I am thinking crepes this morning.

Timeline

Well the DNC are trying to stop the take over by Activists, just look to see what AOC needed to win, she just needed a relatively few Activists to win the Primary.

The issue is the size of the Megaphone, and the likes of Warren etc who seem to think that is who they need to pander to to win.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Well the DNC are trying to stop the take over by Activists, just look to see what AOC needed to win, she just needed a relatively few Activists to win the Primary.

The issue is the size of the Megaphone, and the likes of Warren etc who seem to think that is who they need to pander to to win.

Well, I don't see Warren as pandering. I think she's been pretty consistent over the past 15 or so years in what she's been calling for. And when she has changed her mind (people ARE allowed to evolve) she has has explanations. I just don't see the pandering, sorry. 

Crepes didn't happen. Got donuts instead. 

KSui2RK.jpg

54 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Well, I don't see Warren as pandering. I think she's been pretty consistent over the past 15 or so years in what she's been calling for. And when she has changed her mind (people ARE allowed to evolve) she has has explanations. I just don't see the pandering, sorry. 

Crepes didn't happen. Got donuts instead. 

KSui2RK.jpg

I hate to break it to you, but that's not breakfast. You just ate dessert.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

54 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I hate to break it to you, but that's not breakfast. You just ate dessert.

This is what happens when you let a man who has "a better idea" for breakfast dissuade you from cooking. I thought we were going out for brunch but he marched me into a donut shop. "Score one for the patriarchy," he said. :rolleyes: