Magician50

K-1 Health Insurance

76 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I was curious if anyone knows the best way to get health insurance while on the K-1 visa. I cannot get on my partner's plan until I have the green card, and of course cannot work until then. Perhaps there is a government program, or even a company that offers this at a reasonable cost. Thanks!

Timeline
Just now, yuna628 said:

There is no requirement to have a green card to obtain health insurance or be added to your spouse's plan. You can be added to their plan as soon as you marry.

Thanks for the information. I will check on this. My next question though is it we found out it will cost about 700 dollars more a month to go on my fiancé's plan. Blue Cross Blue Shield is not cheap for a family plan (and they distinguish a wife as a family even if there are no children as you pay one set rate). There must be a cheaper option without putting us in the poorhouse. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Magician50 said:

I was curious if anyone knows the best way to get health insurance while on the K-1 visa. I cannot get on my partner's plan until I have the green card, and of course cannot work until then. Perhaps there is a government program, or even a company that offers this at a reasonable cost. Thanks!

I put my fiancee on immediately after we married.   She still doesn't have her GC 

YMMV

23 minutes ago, Magician50 said:

Once you two get married then you can get on your spouse's plan. Yes it may cost more but that is the easiest way.

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

I put my fiancee on immediately after we married.   She still doesn't have her GC 

My next question is that I checked with blue cross/shield about adding me and it would be 700 dollars more per month to do this. There must be a cheaper option than this without putting us in the poor house. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Magician50 said:

My next question is that I checked with blue cross/shield about adding me and it would be 700 dollars more per month to do this. There must be a cheaper option than this without putting us in the poor house. 

Welcome to America

It depends on the plan coverage, deductibles and age of insureds. 

I have minimum essential coverage with $6000 deductible and it is $600 each month for me cuz I am older, my wife was $200

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, Dxc said:

Thanks, you know I have heard about Patriot and it seems like a cheaper option. Now I am a citizen of Italy, but if I have residence in U.S. can I still buy this plan? Maybe I should call them. Thanks

10 minutes ago, Magician50 said:

Thanks, you know I have heard about Patriot and it seems like a cheaper option. Now I am a citizen of Italy, but if I have residence in U.S. can I still buy this plan? Maybe I should call them. Thanks

Travel insurance is not appropriate in your case, as you are coming to the US to reside, not travel home after a holiday.

OP, health insurance in the United States is very expensive.  So much so, that along with salary, it can be a deciding factor in accepting employment.

You can search the marketplace (Affordable Care Act), but keep in mind its often 'you get what you pay for.'  Not all coverage is equal.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Travel insurance is not appropriate in your case, as you are coming to the US to reside, not travel home after a holiday.

OP, health insurance in the United States is very expensive.  So much so, that along with salary, it can be a deciding factor in accepting employment.

You can search the marketplace (Affordable Care Act), but keep in mind its often 'you get what you pay for.'  Not all coverage is equal.

There are no good answers. U.S. healthcare simply sucks. It's amazing that not one politician addresses it. I may have to go without insurance and take my chances. 

2 minutes ago, Magician50 said:

There are no good answers. U.S. healthcare simply sucks. It's amazing that not one politician addresses it. I may have to go without insurance and take my chances. 

I wouldn’t do that, as it could jeopardize your status with the public charge situation.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

I wouldn’t do that, as it could jeopardize your status with the public charge situation.

Oh well, I'd move back to Italy with my wife where things are better I guess.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.