Magician50

K-1 Health Insurance

76 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Magician50 said:

Thank you for your information. I think what is confusing me is every individual case is different, and it is so complicated. That is why I said it is inefficient. My spouse can add me to his health insurance, but it would cost about 1.200 dollars a month in insurance under the Blue Cross/Shield plan, which seems ludicrous since our mortgage is not that much (this is the irony of U.S. health care, for it can cost more than a mortgage....ridiculous). I do not want to go without insurance for a I want to be law abiding. I'm trying to get travelers insurance which is at a reasonable cost, but the thing is if when I get married I will lose residency in Italy and as a result will

not qualify for this insurance. For what I read about Obamacare online I will not qualify for that either. It is crazy and I am not use to this (since Italian healthcare is so simple). Don't get me wrong, I do want to conform to U.S. culture, but it is difficult with this issue. I saw the democratic debate the other night and all of them made the point that U.S. healthcare is a disaster (and I agree). The only one that made sense was Bernie Sanders and he is a smart man. I have a friend that works at a hospital near us in Massachusetts and he said it so bad that people just go without insurance and use the emergency room as a primary health care doctor, since they can't afford other options. I know this drains the system but it is the reality of things. Anyway, I am searching and trying to come up with the best option and I do appreciate all the information from people. 

I don't know what you're reading online but it is not true that you won't qualify for or can't use Obamacare. It is legal for immigrants to use. You just need to have proof of legal status because it is government paperwork afterall. That legal status is going to be your AOS NOA1, an EAD, or green card - whichever is the fastest to arrive in your hands (which is always going to be the NOA1). It is also not illegal or against the law to go without health insurance, but it isn't necessarily the wisest thing to be doing for your own peace of mind and safety. Massachusetts was one of the forerunners in developing a type of health insurance exchange program. If your state has an exchange then you must look there first, before looking at the federal exchange. Can I say you'll find anything cheaper than paying for it privately? It's possible. It's also not possible. Very few will qualify for the tax credit reduction, but that doesn't matter as it is also not a means tested benefit, and nothing illegal about it.

Insurance works on tiers - silver, gold, and plat. Lower tiers for cheaper premiums will have greater cost in the form of deductibles and copays before you reach your maximum and the insurance picks up the full tab. Higher tiers will be more expensive in upfront premium cost, but you will have little to no deductible, rendering any cost of care cheap to non-existing.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, flemirebs said:

I pay around 40$ a month and the employer covers a lot, its one of the top health care plans and still....just went to hospital for stomach pain and all they did was a scan- $20,000 ER bill. Luckily insurance covered all but $600, but I still don't have 600$ so.. collections here I come!! MY recommendation would be to risk it and only if you are dying...go to the hospital. That's my rule for myself from now on. Only if you are 100 percent sure you are going to die, then go to hospital. Insurance isn't worth it if you don't have health problems. I only use it because I have prescription meds and god help me if that's not under insurance. If you're older and have the Medicare I'm sure that's good. If you're rich, obviously you're fine. If your young and have bills and student loans and work your butt off...….not in you're favor.

How does a person know when they are going to 100% going to die? My dad was laying on the floor flailing and staring in outer-space repeating ''I'm fine! what's wrong with everyone?!" while the paramedics worked to save his life and load him into a helicopter where he spent weeks in the ICU. In my case, when I without insurance I held out seeking treatment for a week and told myself I was fine and just a stomach bug. It was not. If I had waited any longer I'd have been dead. Before that time I had previously been completely healthy. The fact is you never know what is going to happen to you in your life. If you want to gamble with it that's fine, but everyone needs to seriously consider the value of their lives and their families before gambling themselves.

My husband and I are not rich by any means. We have bills and a student loan to pay, and still manage to put food on the table and pay for our share of insurance. The company takes good care of us by what they pay out and we are thankful to them. Medicare is also not a golden ticket to freedom of healthcare for the elderly. It works and provides them security when they need it. But they still have their own premiums to pay, which when on a fixed SSI can be very difficult.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.