Neogalik

Traveling from Indonesia

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The obvious answer is by plane. 

If she does not have a US Visa then she would need to get one first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The obvious answer is by plane. 

If she does not have a US Visa then she would need to get one first.

I don’t know if you are being a smart guy or not, but that’s pretty funny! 😂

I mean which US Visa is the easiest and best one for her to get? I was under the assumption she could just get a general one that allows her to just move here, but apparently that’s not an option. Is there any other way?

Timeline

There is no general visa, is she wants to visit and I am assuming she does not have a B2 she would apply for one at the local Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There is no general visa, is she wants to visit and I am assuming she does not have a B2 she would apply for one at the local Consulate.

I don’t think you understand. She wants to permanently move to the US. Not just visit. What does she need to do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Neogalik said:

I don’t know if you are being a smart guy or not, but that’s pretty funny! 😂

I mean which US Visa is the easiest and best one for her to get? I was under the assumption she could just get a general one that allows her to just move here, but apparently that’s not an option. Is there any other way?

Ha, if there was a general visa that would allow someone to move to the US, I don't think there would be many illegal immigrants then!

Her one option at this point is a tourist visa (b2). The odds of her getting a visa are pretty low though, assuming she's a single, Indonesian woman. Many are denied. 

Why don't you go visit her instead? 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

3 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Ha, if there was a general visa that would allow someone to move to the US, I don't think there would be many illegal immigrants then!

Her one option at this point is a tourist visa (b2). The odds of her getting a visa are pretty low though, assuming she's a single, Indonesian woman. Many are denied. 

Why don't you go visit her instead? 

I don’t think you understand. She wants to permanently move to the US. What’s the easiest method of doing that?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Neogalik said:

I don’t think you understand. She wants to permanently move to the US. What’s the easiest method of doing that?

Unless there is something very weird about her situation by marrying you and you petitioning her to immigrate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Neogalik said:

No, I don't think YOU understand.

There is no "general visa" for a person to just up and move to the U.S.

In order to get a US visitor's visa (B2), she will have to demonstrate strong ties to her country and convince the CO that she will return.  She can apply online for this, and then she will be interviewed at her local consulate.  She can stay for the period allowed by CBP at the border, and then must return home. 

The only two real visas she could possibly apply for to come to the US permanently are K-1 (fiancee) and CR-1 (spouse).  Both of these options will take over a year (or more) from now to complete, since you haven't even met yet.  Both are expensive.

I recommend you read the guides here on VJ, and do as much research as possible so that you are educated on the processes, as they are complex.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Neogalik said:

I don't think you made that clear in your initial post. The easiest method is for you two to get hitched. You can do it via the K-1 visa (and you two would have to get married within 90 days of moving here) or the Cr-1 visa (you two would get married first). 

She could also look into becoming an au pair (J-1 visa). If her current employer has offices here in the USA, then maybe the L1 would be an option. There is also the H1b and H2b, but they're already full for FY19 I think. 

Like I said, go visit her. Can't hurt. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

3 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

I don't think you made that clear in your initial post. The easiest method is for you two to get hitched. You can do it via the K-1 visa (and you two would have to get married within 90 days of moving here) or the Cr-1 visa (you two would get married first). 

She could also look into becoming an au pair (J-1 visa). If her current employer has offices here in the USA, then maybe the L1 would be an option. There is also the H1b and H2b, but they're already full for FY19 I think. 

Like I said, go visit her. Can't hurt. 

Thank you. I think this is the most helpful post in the entire thread. I assumed the K-1 was the easiest method, just wondering if it was true. Thanks you.

Timeline

CR1 is usually the recommended route.

4 minutes ago, Neogalik said:

That would mean we would need to be married first, right? Would we get married in Indonesia or the US? And how do I marry someone when they don’t even live here?

You can travel to Indonesia, get married there, and then petition for a spousal visa for her.  Or, in the unlikely event that she is approved for a B-2 visitor's visa, she could come here, marry you, then return to Indonesia to wait until the petition is approved.

Either way - approx one year till approval.

Edited by Jorgedig

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.