Jump to content
Karry

Elementary school question

35 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

 

i‘m about to move to the US with my 10 year old son. 

 

So, we are going to be at my sister in laws house because this is my husbands Adress right now. 

 

My sister in law has no children, to her it didn‘t matter where the house is. 

 

I was trying to get information about the elementary school in the area, and i must say, it is a really bad school. 

 

I refuse to send my child to this school. He‘ll have a „hard enough“ time coming from a different country.

 

my question is, what is the school system like. How much time do i technically have after arrival to register him in a school. Because my husband and i want to look for a house in different school district. 

 

I don‘t wanna arrive, send him to this horrible school, move to a different area and have him change schools again. 

 

Please stay away from comments like „you should have thought about this“ yadda yadda.That doesn‘t answer my question and won‘t help me.

 

it is impossible for me to get information about areas and schools/school system when i‘m at the other side of the world

 

thank you

 

Edited by Karry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could home school him for a while.

When we transferred my son his school wanted the contact details for the new school. They have a duty to make sure a child doesn't "disappear", in an educational sense, between moving countries. Not sure if the process will be the same where you're coming from. Basically, I think you'll have to provide proof he is being educated once you've moved  - it can't be treated as an extended vacation until you find the area you want to live in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

You could home school him for a while.

When we transferred my son his school wanted the contact details for the new school. They have a duty to make sure a child doesn't "disappear", in an educational sense, between moving countries. Not sure if the process will be the same where you're coming from. Basically, I think you'll have to provide proof he is being educated once you've moved  - it can't be treated as an extended vacation until you find the area you want to live in. 

Thank you for your answer, can you tell me where i‘d have to go to talk to someone in general for home schooling and extended vacation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Karry said:

Thank you for your answer, can you tell me where i‘d have to go to talk to someone in general for home schooling and extended vacation?

You can do an internet search for home schooling in the state you'll be moving to. Each state has different laws and requirements. If your husband is already in the States he can also make calls etc. to find out. You'll need to inform his current school so that they can complete their requirements too.

 

I understand you feeling defensive because you haven't sorted this out yet but you're not going to get a good response on here by being that way. It also violates the terms of service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TOS violations aside... have you tried asking your sister in law and husband about these questions? If they are already established in America and the state where you'd be residing, surely they could assist with your questions.

 

For homeschooling it all comes down to the state you'd be living in, for following required regulations. Some are more strict than others. There's no reason why he needs to go to a public school if you don't care for it. I'm sure there's plenty of private schools that would take him, for $s. From a homeschool standpoint, you're going to have to do a lot of research - most are religious based with the exception of a few. Some good solid ones offer the entire curriculum in a package for $s each year, and you mail in the completed coursework and tests for grading. In more liberal states with less regulation, a parent can slap together whatever curriculum they wish if they are more confident. The parent may still have to comply with informing the state about how the child is being educated and may be required to take part in state tests. Sounds like you're having computer issues.. might want to get those stateside relatives involved to help.


K-1 - AOS & ROC Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

 

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo) 8/13/18 (18 mo)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 - Error will need to file I90 >_<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where in the US are you planning on living?  There are different requirements regarding homeschooling, curriculum standards, etc. depending on that.

 

If you can find one to your liking, and considering your child speaks English---I would suggest a public school, only because it will give him more of the social aspect as well needed in adjusting to living in a new country, making friends, being exposed to different surroundings, etc. as he goes through his own adjustment period moving to America  (nothing against homeschooling, though if that's what you feel is best---sometimes homeschooling is the wiser choice depending on overall circumstances) . 


Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Going through said:

Where in the US are you planning on living?  There are different requirements regarding homeschooling, curriculum standards, etc. depending on that.

 

If you can find one to your liking, and considering your child speaks English---I would suggest a public school, only because it will give him more of the social aspect as well needed in adjusting to living in a new country, making friends, being exposed to different surroundings, etc. as he goes through his own adjustment period moving to America  (nothing against homeschooling, though if that's what you feel is best---sometimes homeschooling is the wiser choice depending on overall circumstances) . 

I saw that most of them are religious . I‘ve been looking through it for a but now. There‘s just not that much i can do from my country because most pages won‘t let me access from here 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

TOS violations aside... have you tried asking your sister in law and husband about these questions? If they are already established in America and the state where you'd be residing, surely they could assist with your questions.

 

For homeschooling it all comes down to the state you'd be living in, for following required regulations. Some are more strict than others. There's no reason why he needs to go to a public school if you don't care for it. I'm sure there's plenty of private schools that would take him, for $s. From a homeschool standpoint, you're going to have to do a lot of research - most are religious based with the exception of a few. Some good solid ones offer the entire curriculum in a package for $s each year, and you mail in the completed coursework and tests for grading. In more liberal states with less regulation, a parent can slap together whatever curriculum they wish if they are more confident. The parent may still have to comply with informing the state about how the child is being educated and may be required to take part in state tests. Sounds like you're having computer issues.. might want to get those stateside relatives involved to help.

I didn‘t ask my sister in Law.. she knows nothing about children and i really want to do this myself. My husband is not my sons father and i am the one that is responsible for his future as his mother. So i‘m trying to do and decide that on my own 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Karry said:

There‘s just not that much i can do from my country because most pages won‘t let me access from here 😭

Try a VPN....


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, missileman said:

Try a VPN....

Gosh i‘m so bad with stuff like that 🤭 we are leaving here soon.. i was just trying to figure out if there is a certain time i can legally let him stay out of school before i get in trouble. Like here in germany.. you have to send your child to school right away like the first day.. if you don‘t the cops would come to pick up the child and take it to school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Karry said:

I am doing some research now.

 

i‘m not defensive.. but i think i am allowed to tell someone to shut up if that person tells me to get off my high horse.. i should sense a TOS violation...

NO you are not. Not on this site. It is a TOS violation. Do not do it again.


“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Any laws governing schooling are state based regulations. You're going to have to investigate what the laws of the state are, otherwise I don't think anyone can tell you definitively.

 

I can certainly recommend a solid religious-based homeschool program that I am most familiar with which was accredited and didn't require the home teacher to do most of the grading, but it will all be down to what your state allows and what you as the teacher would feel comfortable with. If you aren't interested in religious homeschool - there are a few non-religious such as Timberdoodle, time4learning, and Forest Trail Academy. There are likely also private schools in your state that could offer homeschool education programs. 

 

To see homeschooling laws by state you can check with the HSLDA or CRHE. https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/policy-issues/current-policy/

https://hslda.org/content/laws/

 

btw... this stuff isn't cheap. You might find your son gets a more enriching experience in a private school if you're going to drop that kind of cash anyway.

Edited by yuna628

K-1 - AOS & ROC Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

 

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo) 8/13/18 (18 mo)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 - Error will need to file I90 >_<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

*** Giving a stern warn to not to tell others not to post or to shut up. If a poster is not posting constructively, then report the post and the moderators will be notified and action will be taken if needed.

 

*** Four (4) nonconstructive posts removed. Post constructively and remain on topic.

 

VJ Moderation

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Any laws governing schooling are state based regulations. You're going to have to investigate what the laws of the state are, otherwise I don't think anyone can tell you definitively.

 

I can certainly recommend a solid religious-based homeschool program that I am most familiar with which was accredited and didn't require the home teacher to do most of the grading, but it will all be down to what your state allows and what you as the teacher would feel comfortable with. If you aren't interested in religious homeschool - there are a few non-religious such as Timberdoodle, time4learning, and Forest Trail Academy. There are likely also private schools in your state that could offer homeschool education programs. 

 

To see homeschooling laws by state you can check with the HSLDA or CRHE. https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/policy-issues/current-policy/

https://hslda.org/content/laws/

 

btw... this stuff isn't cheap. You might find your son gets a more enriching experience in a private school if you're going to drop that kind of cash anyway.

Okay i guess there is no actual law that says after arrival he has to go to a school the very next day or something? Thank you for the effort !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Karry said:

Okay i guess there is no actual law that says after arrival he has to go to a school the very next day or something? Thank you for the effort !!

I have done a comprehensive search of Texas truancy laws......I can't find any reference to a time limit for enrolling a new child..........


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...