Karry

Elementary school question

35 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

i‘m about to move to the US with my 10 year old son. 

So, we are going to be at my sister in laws house because this is my husbands Adress right now. 

My sister in law has no children, to her it didn‘t matter where the house is. 

I was trying to get information about the elementary school in the area, and i must say, it is a really bad school. 

I refuse to send my child to this school. He‘ll have a „hard enough“ time coming from a different country.

my question is, what is the school system like. How much time do i technically have after arrival to register him in a school. Because my husband and i want to look for a house in different school district. 

I don‘t wanna arrive, send him to this horrible school, move to a different area and have him change schools again. 

Please stay away from comments like „you should have thought about this“ yadda yadda.That doesn‘t answer my question and won‘t help me.

it is impossible for me to get information about areas and schools/school system when i‘m at the other side of the world

thank you

Edited by Karry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You could home school him for a while.

When we transferred my son his school wanted the contact details for the new school. They have a duty to make sure a child doesn't "disappear", in an educational sense, between moving countries. Not sure if the process will be the same where you're coming from. Basically, I think you'll have to provide proof he is being educated once you've moved  - it can't be treated as an extended vacation until you find the area you want to live in. 

3 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

You could home school him for a while.

When we transferred my son his school wanted the contact details for the new school. They have a duty to make sure a child doesn't "disappear", in an educational sense, between moving countries. Not sure if the process will be the same where you're coming from. Basically, I think you'll have to provide proof he is being educated once you've moved  - it can't be treated as an extended vacation until you find the area you want to live in. 

Thank you for your answer, can you tell me where i‘d have to go to talk to someone in general for home schooling and extended vacation?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, Karry said:

Thank you for your answer, can you tell me where i‘d have to go to talk to someone in general for home schooling and extended vacation?

You can do an internet search for home schooling in the state you'll be moving to. Each state has different laws and requirements. If your husband is already in the States he can also make calls etc. to find out. You'll need to inform his current school so that they can complete their requirements too.

I understand you feeling defensive because you haven't sorted this out yet but you're not going to get a good response on here by being that way. It also violates the terms of service.

TOS violations aside... have you tried asking your sister in law and husband about these questions? If they are already established in America and the state where you'd be residing, surely they could assist with your questions.

For homeschooling it all comes down to the state you'd be living in, for following required regulations. Some are more strict than others. There's no reason why he needs to go to a public school if you don't care for it. I'm sure there's plenty of private schools that would take him, for $s. From a homeschool standpoint, you're going to have to do a lot of research - most are religious based with the exception of a few. Some good solid ones offer the entire curriculum in a package for $s each year, and you mail in the completed coursework and tests for grading. In more liberal states with less regulation, a parent can slap together whatever curriculum they wish if they are more confident. The parent may still have to comply with informing the state about how the child is being educated and may be required to take part in state tests. Sounds like you're having computer issues.. might want to get those stateside relatives involved to help.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where in the US are you planning on living?  There are different requirements regarding homeschooling, curriculum standards, etc. depending on that.

If you can find one to your liking, and considering your child speaks English---I would suggest a public school, only because it will give him more of the social aspect as well needed in adjusting to living in a new country, making friends, being exposed to different surroundings, etc. as he goes through his own adjustment period moving to America  (nothing against homeschooling, though if that's what you feel is best---sometimes homeschooling is the wiser choice depending on overall circumstances) . 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

18 minutes ago, Going through said:

Where in the US are you planning on living?  There are different requirements regarding homeschooling, curriculum standards, etc. depending on that.

If you can find one to your liking, and considering your child speaks English---I would suggest a public school, only because it will give him more of the social aspect as well needed in adjusting to living in a new country, making friends, being exposed to different surroundings, etc. as he goes through his own adjustment period moving to America  (nothing against homeschooling, though if that's what you feel is best---sometimes homeschooling is the wiser choice depending on overall circumstances) . 

I saw that most of them are religious . I‘ve been looking through it for a but now. There‘s just not that much i can do from my country because most pages won‘t let me access from here 😭

48 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

TOS violations aside... have you tried asking your sister in law and husband about these questions? If they are already established in America and the state where you'd be residing, surely they could assist with your questions.

For homeschooling it all comes down to the state you'd be living in, for following required regulations. Some are more strict than others. There's no reason why he needs to go to a public school if you don't care for it. I'm sure there's plenty of private schools that would take him, for $s. From a homeschool standpoint, you're going to have to do a lot of research - most are religious based with the exception of a few. Some good solid ones offer the entire curriculum in a package for $s each year, and you mail in the completed coursework and tests for grading. In more liberal states with less regulation, a parent can slap together whatever curriculum they wish if they are more confident. The parent may still have to comply with informing the state about how the child is being educated and may be required to take part in state tests. Sounds like you're having computer issues.. might want to get those stateside relatives involved to help.

I didn‘t ask my sister in Law.. she knows nothing about children and i really want to do this myself. My husband is not my sons father and i am the one that is responsible for his future as his mother. So i‘m trying to do and decide that on my own 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Karry said:

There‘s just not that much i can do from my country because most pages won‘t let me access from here 😭

Try a VPN....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, missileman said:

Try a VPN....

Gosh i‘m so bad with stuff like that 🤭 we are leaving here soon.. i was just trying to figure out if there is a certain time i can legally let him stay out of school before i get in trouble. Like here in germany.. you have to send your child to school right away like the first day.. if you don‘t the cops would come to pick up the child and take it to school

22 minutes ago, Karry said:

I am doing some research now.

i‘m not defensive.. but i think i am allowed to tell someone to shut up if that person tells me to get off my high horse.. i should sense a TOS violation...

NO you are not. Not on this site. It is a TOS violation. Do not do it again.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Any laws governing schooling are state based regulations. You're going to have to investigate what the laws of the state are, otherwise I don't think anyone can tell you definitively.

I can certainly recommend a solid religious-based homeschool program that I am most familiar with which was accredited and didn't require the home teacher to do most of the grading, but it will all be down to what your state allows and what you as the teacher would feel comfortable with. If you aren't interested in religious homeschool - there are a few non-religious such as Timberdoodle, time4learning, and Forest Trail Academy. There are likely also private schools in your state that could offer homeschool education programs. 

To see homeschooling laws by state you can check with the HSLDA or CRHE. https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/policy-issues/current-policy/

https://hslda.org/content/laws/

btw... this stuff isn't cheap. You might find your son gets a more enriching experience in a private school if you're going to drop that kind of cash anyway.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

*** Giving a stern warn to not to tell others not to post or to shut up. If a poster is not posting constructively, then report the post and the moderators will be notified and action will be taken if needed.

*** Four (4) nonconstructive posts removed. Post constructively and remain on topic.

VJ Moderation

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

12 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Any laws governing schooling are state based regulations. You're going to have to investigate what the laws of the state are, otherwise I don't think anyone can tell you definitively.

I can certainly recommend a solid religious-based homeschool program that I am most familiar with which was accredited and didn't require the home teacher to do most of the grading, but it will all be down to what your state allows and what you as the teacher would feel comfortable with. If you aren't interested in religious homeschool - there are a few non-religious such as Timberdoodle, time4learning, and Forest Trail Academy. There are likely also private schools in your state that could offer homeschool education programs. 

To see homeschooling laws by state you can check with the HSLDA or CRHE. https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/policy-issues/current-policy/

https://hslda.org/content/laws/

btw... this stuff isn't cheap. You might find your son gets a more enriching experience in a private school if you're going to drop that kind of cash anyway.

Okay i guess there is no actual law that says after arrival he has to go to a school the very next day or something? Thank you for the effort !!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Karry said:

Okay i guess there is no actual law that says after arrival he has to go to a school the very next day or something? Thank you for the effort !!

I have done a comprehensive search of Texas truancy laws......I can't find any reference to a time limit for enrolling a new child..........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.