RayAndKelly

DMV won't issue drivers license during AOS

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, Ksenia_O said:

Can not believe MO doesn't give you a DL..

I'm in MO. And was given a regular (7 years)  DL with just my conditional (2 years) green card. Same for my son.

Now, looking at the list of acceptable documents... it seems like MO has changed the Policy -  they don't even accept I-551 stamp anymore...

https://dor.mo.gov/drivers/documents/RID.pdf

I'm so sorry :( It doesn't make any sense - so, you are allowed to work, pay taxes (including State), but you are not allowed to drive or have a Real ID during ROC... 

It’s the REAL ID I can’t get. I can get DL just not with real Id but I think it’s really silly up here! If I had just had the EAD they would have given it to me without thinking about it! 

I have not found MO to be very immigrant friendly so far but have only been here 2 months so will give it sometime. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, boris64 said:

I have been through this before. Everything happened much quicker then. No delays for AOS, ROC or Naturalization. No interviews for AOS

Yeah I know but hopefully with your interview for AOS will make the RoC process faster for you guys when you get there. I actually think I may be able to finish naturalized before TX get moving with their cases. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, Georgia16 said:

It’s the REAL ID I can’t get. I can get DL just not with real Id but I think it’s really silly up here! If I had just had the EAD they would have given it to me without thinking about it! 

I have not found MO to be very immigrant friendly so far but have only been here 2 months so will give it sometime. 

Got confused with the List of acceptable docs.... Thought the Part about Lawful Status applies to both - getting a Real ID and a DL.

It's a nice State to live in. Yes, just give it a time :)

Timeline
Just now, Ksenia_O said:

Got confused with the List of acceptable docs.... Thought the Part about Lawful Status applies to both - getting a Real ID and a DL.

It's a nice State to live in. Yes, just give it a time :)

It’s hard coming from ATL big city with everything to small Springfield there is like 100 years behind! Haha nature is pretty here though! 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

It’s hard coming from ATL big city with everything to small Springfield there is like 100 years behind! Haha nature is pretty here though! 

I know, right? :) I'm originally from a big city too, so yes, it was quit an adjustment ;)

but by now I really enjoy almost 'no traffic" driving ".

Well, Have to go to St. Louis for my citizenship interview in a couple weeks, and i'm afraid to death to drive to St. Louis!! Can not believe there was a time in my life I was driving, daily,  in a 3 millions people city! :) 

P.S. Finally came across the requirements to get a DL - yes, you were right, it's quit different and  I-551 stamp is still acceptable.  but not for a Real ID. Unfortunately ;( 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

I know, right? :) I'm originally from a big city too, so yes, it was quit an adjustment ;)

but by now I really enjoy almost 'no traffic" driving ".

Well, Have to go to St. Louis for my citizenship interview in a couple weeks, and i'm afraid to death to drive to St. Louis!! Can not believe there was a time in my life I was driving, daily,  in a 3 millions people town! :) 

P.S. Finally came across the requirements to get a DL - yes, you were right, it's quit different and  I-551 stamp is still acceptable.  but not for a Real ID. Unfortunately ;( 

You will be fine! But understand it can be scary if people are not used to it. And great you have your interview soon! You are almost done with all this!

I can apply in December and my office will be Kansas City. 

You are right about traffic! There is non. Even if gps says red coming up we are like where? So that is really nice.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
19 hours ago, Loren Y said:

My wife got a real ID here in Vegas with her I-94. It was only valid for 90 days. When she received her EAD we went to the DMV and extended her State ID for 12 months. By then we will have her green card hopefully, and she will get a regular term ID. But you can get a real ID on the I94, and when you have EAD. She has used it for travel and entering federal buildings no issues.

Back when we were at that stage the Michigan SOS said my wife’s DL would only be good for 2 years with a CGC, but when she did get it it was actually valid for five years.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Bill & Katya said:

Back when we were at that stage the Michigan SOS said my wife’s DL would only be good for 2 years with a CGC, but when she did get it it was actually valid for five years.

Same here......My wife got her Texas DL soon after arrival via a CR-1........Her dl is good for 6 years........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

I'm in MO. And was given a regular (7 years)  DL with just my conditional (2 years) green card. Same for my son.

May I ask when was this? My DL expires in a few months and have conditional GC. Thought the DL would expire with my GC like it does with EAD

Timeline
23 minutes ago, missileman said:

Same here......My wife got her Texas DL soon after arrival via a CR-1........Her dl is good for 6 years........

In GA they didn’t. Got DL that expired same time as GC then got a new that expires same time as extension letter. But could see that up here in MO they will also give me one that are good for 6 years. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS Progress Reports - As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Eventually she will get the EAD which supposed to be accepted by the DMV, or if she gets the GC before the EAD then she can use that to get a DL.

Hope you guys applied for EAD too.

In AZ, wife had to wait for EAD to get a regular ID card from the state.  After she got her GC, she upgraded to Real ID with the star on it., and a new SS Card that is not restricted.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ineedadisplayname said:

May I ask when was this? My DL expires in a few months and have conditional GC. Thought the DL would expire with my GC like it does with EAD

It was in 2015. 

But I still believe it depends, a lot, on DMV you are dealing with.

For example, my friend, who lives in MO as well, but in a different town, was given a Dl that was expired on the same day as her conditional green card. My son and I - were granted full-term regular Missourian DL.

So the same Sate, the same circumstances, just different towns, so you'd think the outcome would be the same.... but it was not..

If you decide to try - I wish you all the best and hopefully it will work for your wife!!!

Also, if you didn't do that yet - get rid of the restriction on her SS card . the wording "Valid only with DHL authorization".. It can be done with unexpired green card And it may help with an employment, while "between" green cards during ROC 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, RayAndCrisnaLyn said:

The las Vegas DMV told my wife she can't have a RealID drivers license because her i-94 shows expired in August and Homeland shows pending.  Hers says "not valid as id"

We married in March and applied for AOS in May.

Do we get some kind of updated i94 status eventually?

I'm also here in Las Vegas and seems like to me you are able to get a drivers license for your wife. If your I-94 has expired then you can submit a I-797  or NOA1 that your AOS is being processed. This is from the Nevada DMV website or just go on the site to check for yourself  https://dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

Screenshot (20).png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.