jatti

We Just Got Married and Now not sure what to do due to upcoming travel

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone! I'm super new here and have been lurking in the past few days to read about the process for a Spousal Visa

I guess I'll start out by letting you guys know what's going on and it'd be awesome if someone could share their experiences or even help point me in the direction where I should go or what I should do. (I apologize if this has been posted before)

My husband and I just got married on the 26-July in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in a civil ceremony.  I am a US Citizen by birth and he's an Indian citizen but currently in Canada on a Student Permit (his permit expires Nov-2020).  We're waiting for the Marriage Certificate but I'm heading back home to Kansas City on Monday.  I have read up on the process and know that I need to file the I-130 to start the process.  Here comes the problem,  I am heading to India for a year on August 19 to start a Fashion Design diploma there.  I don't believe 2 and half weeks is enough for me to get all of our documents and proofs together and file as we don't even have the marriage certificate yet.  I really want to get this filed so we can start the long process and not delay being together.  What would you guys suggest?  Am I able to file from India?  If so, what do I need to do? SORRY in advance but I am just so confused! 😢  Any and all advice would be appreciated! ❤️ 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, jatti said:

Hello Everyone! I'm super new here and have been lurking in the past few days to read about the process for a Spousal Visa

I guess I'll start out by letting you guys know what's going on and it'd be awesome if someone could share their experiences or even help point me in the direction where I should go or what I should do. (I apologize if this has been posted before)

My husband and I just got married on the 26-July in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in a civil ceremony.  I am a US Citizen by birth and he's an Indian citizen but currently in Canada on a Student Permit (his permit expires Nov-2020).  We're waiting for the Marriage Certificate but I'm heading back home to Kansas City on Monday.  I have read up on the process and know that I need to file the I-130 to start the process.  Here comes the problem,  I am heading to India for a year on August 19 to start a Fashion Design diploma there.  I don't believe 2 and half weeks is enough for me to get all of our documents and proofs together and file as we don't even have the marriage certificate yet.  I really want to get this filed so we can start the long process and not delay being together.  What would you guys suggest?  Am I able to file from India?  If so, what do I need to do? SORRY in advance but I am just so confused! 😢  Any and all advice would be appreciated! ❤️ 

You can file a petition from abroad 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

You can, you will have to send it from India to the lockbox in the US. Keep in mind though, you will want to find a family member or close friend whom you can put down for US mailing address for your notices and receipts to go to. The process is around 12-14 months right now on average

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

You can, you will have to send it from India to the lockbox in the US. Keep in mind though, you will want to find a family member or close friend whom you can put down for US mailing address for your notices and receipts to go to. The process is around 12-14 months right now on average

Or longer if you need and drag your feet at nvc

YMMV

12 minutes ago, jatti said:

Am I able to file from India? 

You can file from anywhere in the world. You just have to send it to the Lockbox (either Chicago or Phoenix I believe). 

It will be 8-12 months for the I-130 to be approved and another 3-5 months to interview. He can interview at the nearest Embassy/Consulate to where he lives. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

You can file from anywhere in the world. You just have to send it to the Lockbox (either Chicago or Phoenix I believe). 

It will be 8-12 months for the I-130 to be approved and another 3-5 months to interview. He can interview at the nearest Embassy/Consulate to where he lives. 

At the nearest that has an immigrant Visa unit,  in Canada its only Montreal and in India its only Mumbai 

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

You can file a petition from abroad 

Thank you so much for the response!! 

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

File from India, just will need more stamps.

Thank you! Looks like this is what will happen!! 

2 hours ago, LilyJ said:

Awesome! Thank you for this. Would this also help get our application routed to another processing center?  I will be giving my home address/my mom stays there. 

Or longer if you need and drag your feet at nvc

LOL i hope not :(

2 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Perfect! Thank you so much!  As long as his visa is valid in Canada right? 

At the nearest that has an immigrant Visa unit,  in Canada its only Montreal and in India its only Mumbai 

Okay, good! Thank you so much. :) I appreciate all the help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, jatti said:

Awesome! Thank you for this. Would this also help get our application routed to another processing center?  I will be giving my home address/my mom stays there. 

Unfortunately seems like petitions aren't really assigned based off where you live/where your mailing address is, no one really knows for sure how they assign petitions to service centers (I've seen people in Maryland get sent all the way to Nebraska instead of just to Potomac), so what address you put won't affect where it goes, it's up in the air pretty much, you won't know for sure where it will be until you get the receipt number

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
1 minute ago, LilyJ said:

Unfortunately seems like petitions aren't really assigned based off where you live/where your mailing address is, no one really knows for sure how they assign petitions to service centers (I've seen people in Maryland get sent all the way to Nebraska instead of just to Potomac), so what address you put won't affect where it goes, it's up in the air pretty much, you won't know for sure where it will be until you get the receipt number

Thank you! This makes more sense now.  I appreciate the insight. 😃

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Note, if you send the petition package from abroad, use DHL or FedEx, etc. and the courier delivery address in Chicago.  The foreign spouse will interview either in the country where they live, (Canada/Montreal) or country of citizenship, (India/Mumbai).

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

8 hours ago, LilyJ said:

Simple reason is there is no need for the closest service center to handle the I-130. Unless an interview is required (very rare for a standalone I-130) - in which case it is transferred to a local USCIS field office - where the petition is processed relative to the petitioner's address has no bearing on the process.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

You’ll also want to read up on establishing domicile and qualifying to sponsor an immigrant for when that time comes.

Timeline
17 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Note, if you send the petition package from abroad, use DHL or FedEx, etc. and the courier delivery address in Chicago.  The foreign spouse will interview either in the country where they live, (Canada/Montreal) or country of citizenship, (India/Mumbai).

Thank you! We're hoping it's Canada so he doesn't have to fly back home for an interview. :)

14 hours ago, HRQX said:

Looks like Chicago in OP's case: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130-addresses

Thank you!!!!

13 hours ago, geowrian said:

Simple reason is there is no need for the closest service center to handle the I-130. Unless an interview is required (very rare for a standalone I-130) - in which case it is transferred to a local USCIS field office - where the petition is processed relative to the petitioner's address has no bearing on the process.

That makes sense!

12 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You’ll also want to read up on establishing domicile and qualifying to sponsor an immigrant for when that time comes.

Thanks for this! Would I still have to establish domicile if I'm filing taxes and also visiting home every couple of months? My home and address is always going to be in Kansas.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.