IsabelleFredrick

Travel period - Sharing kids with ex overseas (merged)

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

If my kids get green cards, and my ex and I decide we want to have kids live with us equally (we homeschool), would it be possible for the kids to live one year with him in his country, and one year with us in the US? 

If not, any creative ideas on how we could do visits where each parent gets decent annual time with kids? 

Edited by Penguin_ie

Timeline

Im looking for the wisest way to have my kids live with my ex in his country, and me in the USA, without there being green card issues.

Is anyone sharing kids in a more equal way, with good annual time with each parent? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

Im looking for the wisest way to have my kids live with my ex in his country, and me in the USA, without there being green card issues.

Is anyone sharing kids in a more equal way, with good annual time with each parent? 

Do you mean trying to have the kids "live" in both countries when they become green card holders later on (I assume they are entering on a K2 visa)?

Visiting for a few weeks/maybe a month at a time is good, but you'll want to ensure they have more time inside the US than outside, so as not to jeopardize their permanent resident status.  Remember, they can no longer "live" in their home country, but instead visit....their permanent residence must be the USA.

Another option is for the ex to come and visit them in the US, pending an approved tourist visa.

Depending on their ages, likely they will be attending US school so probably long trips are not a feasible option?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just saw your concurrent thread in another forum section....Unfortunately, the kids can't live 1 year in the home country and one year in the US (and flip back and forth like that)....without raising issues not only with Border Patrol during reentry into the USA each time, (where they may determine the children are using green cards as a sort of glorified tourist visa) and likely also issues when it comes time for them to ROC.

An option (once they become green card holders) is to apply for a Reentry Permit (one for each child, with a $575 fee for each +  biometrics fee for each depending on age of each child) which would allow them to live in another country (generally up to two years) without automatically abandoning their status.  Theoretically, one can apply an unlimited amount of times for a Reentry Permit...although I would assume you may be giving USCIS some wiggle room to deny it sometime down the road if continuously applied for every other year..there was a thread where a VJ member reported his mother's most recent reentry permit was denied (it was her 4th or 5th time applying for one consecutively..although I do believe it was a shorter span of USA time inbetween each, which may have also been a factor).

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** two threads merged.   PLease do not post more than once on the same or similar issues *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
10 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You'll need to explain your status and your kids' statuses....

I arrived in the US recently and married on a K1, my kids live overseas still.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
34 minutes ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

I arrived in the US recently and married on a K1, my kids live overseas still.

I am assuming you noted your children on your I-129F. Was the intention that they would follow on K2 visas at a later date?  

I wonder if you and your ex could work out a way to delay the children coming over (taking into account any time limits of course) and let this waiting period serve as part of his time with them and then bring them over to live continuously with you for the better part of the next year and use the following year to work out ways to split the time with them maintaining the majority of their time here and visiting him as much as reasonably possible. 

I have to say, I really respect you guys for working this out so amicably for the children's sake!  

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

8 hours ago, Going through said:

likely also issues when it comes time for them to ROC.

An option (once they become green card holders) is to apply for a Reentry Permit (one for each child, with a $575 fee for each +  biometrics fee for each depending on age of each child) which would allow them to live in another country (generally up to two years) without automatically abandoning their status.

If the children get conditional GCs and then apply and receive reentry permits, then the reentry permits will expire when the conditional GCs expire. They won't be able to get new reentry permits until ROC is approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They need citizenship in both countries.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
15 hours ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

At first:  Summers / holidays there, school year in the US, is probably the best way to divide the time.  

Kudos for thinking about this during the immigration process.

ROC is easy if they’re enrolled in school in the US and 3 months out isn’t going to raise any eyebrows at POE.

After conditions are lifted - as noted a travel document is good for two years and they can stay out of country for extended periods of time.

You’re putting the cart before the horse here. Until the father gives permission (your recent posts said that he hadn’t) the children are not going anywhere. I’m sure you’re well aware that SA has very severe rules on taking children overseas without the other parent. 

You've been here the best part of 2 months and you still haven’t worked it out with your ex where your children are going to live. This sort of thing should have been sorted before you left the country. And if the ex refuses, you will be doing all the visiting. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

You’re putting the cart before the horse here. Until the father gives permission (your recent posts said that he hadn’t) the children are not going anywhere. I’m sure you’re well aware that SA has very severe rules on taking children overseas without the other parent. 

You've been here the best part of 2 months and you still haven’t worked it out with your ex where your children are going to live. This sort of thing should have been sorted before you left the country. And if the ex refuses, you will be doing all the visiting. 

We are discussing follow to join, and I have been in the US for just over a month. So there is still a chance the kids will join me and he is open to giving consent now that I am here.. just trying to work out a fair sharing plan for future

I hope you gone up with a resolution soon. These are your children. They need to know whether they are leaving their homeland and all their friends and relatives to move to the other side of the world to a place they don’t know or whether they are staying at home but only seeing their mother very infrequently. Neither option is perfect. I was the child of an international divorce. I was passed from country to country. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.