Jf1234

K1 advice for our journey

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Firstly I’ve just found this forum and have been eagerly taking in all the information I can find.

i am from the U.K. and are getting engaged in two weeks with plans to move to Utah.  We decided on the K1 visa so there’s no separation  after marriage as the distance has already been a negative factor for us.

We are filing for the K1 visa this week however reading this forum it’s thrown some of the plans into the air.

Is booking a wedding date a complete no-no?   She has a vary big family in comparison so the wedding needs to be in Utah ideally.  I will have 5-10 family members/friends who would hopefully be present but they need a date to book their travel, accommodation, leave from work etc.

Our initial plan was to apply now and book a wedding for March or April 2020 but given that is 8 or 9 months away is it too much of a risk? 

Apart from having a courthouse wedding upon arrival then having a full ceremony later in the year how have other couples dealt with this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

4 minutes ago, Jf1234 said:

Is booking a wedding date a complete no-no?   She has a vary big family in comparison so the wedding needs to be in Utah ideally.  I will have 5-10 family members/friends who would hopefully be present but they need a date to book their travel, accommodation, leave from work etc

Do not make any non-refundable plans, reservations, or commitments prior to having the visa and packet (if needed) in hand........there are too many things which can go wrong.... 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, Jf1234 said:

Apart from having a courthouse wedding upon arrival then having a full ceremony later in the year how have other couples dealt with this? 

That is the smartest plan.

Immigration does not move at your timeline.   If you make plans the immigration gods will make sure those plans get changed.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Jf1234 said:

This is how smart couples do it......for multiple reasons........it allows you to apply for adjustment of status quickly..........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thanks for the advice.  It was our plan to marry towards the start of the 90 days rather than the end to start the AOS as quick as possible.   

I thankfully seem to have a flexible work and living situation in the UK until I hopefully have the visa in hand so not having to stress over the progress of our application seems a major relief...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

This popular question seems to come up at least weekly and already twice today.  :yes:

Trying to accurately predict when a visa will be adjudicated and available is a fool's game and should be avoided. There are far too many variables to be able to accurately predict when and If the visa will be available. 

The general rule of thumb is to not make any non-refundable, non-transferrable, non-changeable wedding or travel plans until you have your passport in your hand and the visa is in the passport.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Jf1234 said:

Our initial plan was to apply now and book a wedding for March or April 2020 but given that is 8 or 9 months away is it too much of a risk? 

YES

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jf1234 said:

Firstly I’ve just found this forum and have been eagerly taking in all the information I can find.

i am from the U.K. and are getting engaged in two weeks with plans to move to Utah.  We decided on the K1 visa so there’s no separation  after marriage as the distance has already been a negative factor for us.

We are filing for the K1 visa this week however reading this forum it’s thrown some of the plans into the air.

Is booking a wedding date a complete no-no?   She has a vary big family in comparison so the wedding needs to be in Utah ideally.  I will have 5-10 family members/friends who would hopefully be present but they need a date to book their travel, accommodation, leave from work etc.

We are in a similar situation and we decided we would have a courthouse wedding upon arrival to the US so we could get AOS moving asap, and then after we would hold a reception with friends and family. But if a big wedding is something that is important to you, you can just have a big wedding ceremony later.

As others have said it is risky to bet on when the visa will be approved, and to much of a headache if things go wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jf1234 said:

Another way is get your visa in hand, which will be good for travel probably 4-5 months.  (6 months from medical date). You stay in the UK and don't travel immediately. Start booking wedding venues and flights. 

After entry, you have an additional 3 months. So from the time of getting the visa to having to marry is 7-8 months. If you can plan the wedding you want in that amount of time, then you have a solution. But it means being separated longer before you enter the US and delaying gettting your AOS filed. Not many choose that route. It depends on how important the wedding ceremony is to your bride and her family. 

Please don't make any plans until you have the visa in hand. You have up to 6 months to enter the US, so if having a wedding with everyone there in all one go is your best ideal, you'd have plenty of time to both plan and be absolutely sure of no hickups.

Most people that want to enter the US asap though, try and do a courthouse wedding and then plan a big celebration later on, when everyone can attend. This is the fastest and least stressful method.

Still others manage to cobble together modest celebrations within the timeframe of getting to the US and before the 90 days are up.

In my case, we took plenty of gambles and risks that involved very heavy pre-planning and was not for the faint of heart. It required a lot of venders to be understanding of our unique situation and were willing to roll at short notice - no vendors were 'officially' booked or tickets purchased until he had confirmation of his visa. While I'd never recommend it to anyone after the nerve-wracking experience, we did have a pretty nice wedding our way, with no do-overs, and with a good deal of family attending.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Trust me, it is NOT a good idea, as others have said above. We (I mean my ex and me -- he came over on a K1) had a hiccup in our process and I had already booked a date, had vendors teed up, a venue, an officiant, etc. I was extremely lucky to be able to get all these different pieces to accommodate the delay, but it cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (I might even add some more $$$'s to that!) and I nearly had a nervous breakdown on top of general wedding/visa stretch. (I am grateful there is such a thing as Klonopin.) Then my fiance missed his flight and we barely had enough time to get the marriage license before the ceremony. 🤦‍♀️ So many things can happen that you don't anticipate. It worked for me (sort of) and for yuna628 (more successfully!) but I agree with the courthouse wedding/big celebration after plan.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jf1234 said:

Thanks for the advice.  It was our plan to marry towards the start of the 90 days rather than the end to start the AOS as quick as possible.   

I second your decision. 

However, count on that it will take about a year before the fiancee can enter the US. All the timelines and predictions, whether here on visajourney.com or https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/petition.html are somehow helpful but not guaranteed! 

I'd say wait until the K-1 sits in your fiancee's passport and make plans - when will she enter the US and when are you guys going to get married. 

Aside from the timing, I'm also not sure whether letting the USCIS/DOS know that you already have planned the date of wedding is a smart thing to do. Because if you do so, they might suspect you could be about to marry before the K-1 is issued - this suspicion might make it more difficult for the fiancee to enter the US while K-1 is being processed. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

We wanted to have a proper, legal wedding in the USA with both families present.

In our case we only started planning the wedding a few months after starting the k1 process so we had an approximate idea of timelines (we weren't expecting any issues with the visa - no criminal record, income well above minimum etc).

Most people get married on a Saturday, so often you'll find venues don't have much in the way of bookings for a Sunday. We explained the issue to our venue and they reserved us a Sunday that we were pretty sure would work after we paid the deposit, but gave us the option to let us know if there was a problem with the visa, and they'd then allocate another later Sunday. Similarly DJs and officiants were flexible too. A Sunday was no issue for us as my wife's family had to travel several hundred miles, and my family and friends were coming from Europe - so they weren't scheduled to work the next day.

Once I had the visa in hand we confirmed all dates with suppliers etc (around a month or so before the wedding).

We'd given similar advice to guests of the date - that it was possible it would change and not to book flights etc until we confirmed. A few people did book flights in advance, but fortunately everything ran to our estimated timelines.

This probably wouldn't work for a massive wedding, but we had about 40 guests, food, DJ - it was perfect.

As others have said - you don't want to arrange anything that can't be re-arranged, and its probably not possible to arrange anything of a size that needs to be done months in advance, as the running time of the visa process can't be accurately predicted. But certainly its possible to have a lot more than just a courthouse wedding, if you're flexible and can find suppliers who are.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
23 hours ago, Jf1234 said:

If you don't mind me asking, where in Utah? I live in Ogden, my fiance is Turkish and she's very excited to move here when her visa is ready. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.