ordjnb

Filing I-131 Reentry Permit and leaving directly after

44 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, azblk said:

Have you thought of doing staggered petitions for your parents? You said you have a brother with special needs - will he pass the medical/public charge scrutiny?

Yep, this is something I'm working towards long term - I am worried about the public charge issue down the line, because it seems USCIS is denying applications even if you meet the income thresholds. Currently, he is mentally stunted to age 12, and you won't be able to tell by looking or talking to him initially. He will just come across as awkward. One of the things my parents will be doing is making sure he will be able to hold a part time job, and live comfortably with extended family, and prepare him for when the time comes for the interview. 

As for staggering no, but dependent on the situation a couple years from now, one of them may give up their green card and start over if needs be. 

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

What about slowing down the NVC process once the petitions are granted and reach the NVC. Drip feed the paying of fees, completion of DS260 and the submission of documents over a 2 year period .. slowing for the other needed I130 petition to catch up. ? 

Something to consider as well ,thanks. 

My game plan has been to sponsor both parents, and each parents file an I-130 for my brother. I have not filed for my brother, but wondering if I should as insurance? But that's for a different topic. 

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You asked for thoughts and risks.  You have been given them.  You don't like some of the answers because you are set on your path.  Good luck.  Don't ask for help when you really don't want it.  You only want people to tell you that your plan is a good one and it can work.  You think it just requires working out a few kinks.  

I've responded to you because you sent a helpful comment and I responded "Right, so establish ties to the US, and in what ways can they do that without having to move here immediately? I think there is a section in the I131 where you can outline reasons why you need the document. "

The latter portion of my post wasn't directed at you, but at Boiler and Sparky11564. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ordjnb said:

Something to consider as well ,thanks. 

My game plan has been to sponsor both parents, and each parents file an I-130 for my brother. I have not filed for my brother, but wondering if I should as insurance? But that's for a different topic. 

Other than a sibling petition is 12 to 21 years depending on home country 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, ordjnb said:

Yep, this is something I'm working towards long term - I am worried about the public charge issue down the line, because it seems USCIS is denying applications even if you meet the income thresholds. Currently, he is mentally stunted to age 12, and you won't be able to tell by looking or talking to him initially. He will just come across as awkward. One of the things my parents will be doing is making sure he will be able to hold a part time job, and live comfortably with extended family, and prepare him for when the time comes for the interview. 

As for staggering no, but dependent on the situation a couple years from now, one of them may give up their green card and start over if needs be. 

Your parents .. and all the family ..have a tough situation and no “wins” really .. 😢. I can see why having the GC sooner rather than later would be good.. and I also see their heart to support all their family by already facing the possibility of one of the relinquishing their GC , and returning  to your brother .. in order to support him. Very very hard decisions. 

Just now, payxibka said:

Other than a sibling petition is 12 to 21 years depending on home country 

Yea, hence why the need for my parents to have green cards sooner than later, as them sponsering will be 5-8 years. 

I hope this sheds some light on the difficult situation my family is in. 

5 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Your parents .. and all the family ..have a tough situation and no “wins” really .. 😢. I can see why having the GC sooner rather than later would be good.. and I also see their heart to support all their family by already facing the possibility of one of the relinquishing their GC , and returning  to your brother .. in order to support him. Very very hard decisions. 

Thank you for your sympathy! Yeah, it's been a load on my mind and will be for the next couple of years until everything gets sorted, but one thing at a time right? 

The ultimate goal is that I have to take care of my brother after my parents pass, and that mean's he has to get his papers. That's why my parents are uprooting their lives too. 

Edited by ordjnb

15 minutes ago, ordjnb said:

I have not filed for my brother, but wondering if I should as insurance?

Cheap insurance if something were to happen to your parents.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We can only answer questions based on the information given, the Brother situation was not mentioned so how can anybody take that factor into account?

It is certainly not unusual for new residents to need to go back to settle affairs so a few months is unlikely to be questioned, you mentioned years.

Not sure how 2 years is that relevant when the petitioning process would be much much longer.

So it seems that the focus is not for your Parents to move over, the intent of this category, but for your Brother to.

Obviously siblings take a long time and who knows how future immigration laws will change so based on current laws my first thought would be is this an issue for your Parents to move? If they have a life expectancy longer than the sibling petition then this seems overkill. If they are older/health issues that raises another can of worms.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

How about your parents come, and they file for your brother and then they alternate going to be with him until he can come here permanently? have one go for a year, come back and the other goes too? Wouldn't that take care of the "ties to the US" part? My two cents

Sincethe ultimate goal is for you to take over care for your brother when your parents are gone, why not just file for him and have them only come over once his papers are ready? They can stay with him the next 15 years or so without having to worry about re-entry permits. not so popular i know but given the circumstances it might be the most prudent path?

Edited by nompish

K-1 Journey

2015 01 14 : I-129F Mailed

2015 01 22: NOA-2

2015 03 09 : Packet 3 Received

2015 05 19 : Interview - PASSED (K-1 Visa Approved)

2015 08 19 : Arrived U.S.

2015 10 30 : Married :dance:

AOS Journey

11/05/2015: AOS Package Mailed

11/07/2015: AOS Delivered

11/15/2015: NOAx3 text and email received

11/18/2015: NOAx3 received via mail date 11/10/2015

11/26/2015: Received biometrics letter scheduled for 12/10/2015

12/10/2015: Biometrics completed

01/08/2016: Case status update I-485 "New card being produced"

01/10/2016: Case status update I-485 "Case approved"

01/12/2016: Case status update I-485 "My Card was mailed to me"

01/13/2016: Case status update I-485 "My Card picked up by USPS

01/15/2016: GREENCARD IN HAND!! DONE FOR NOW!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

1 hour ago, ordjnb said:

I think there is a section in the I131 where you can outline reasons why you need the document. "

You're focusing on getting the re-entry permit. They will generally issue one to any eligible LPR. But getting the document and actually protecting their LPR status are entirely different things.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

9 minutes ago, nompish said:

How about your parents come, and they file for your brother and then they alternate going to be with him until he can come here permanently? have one go for a year, come back and the other goes too? Wouldn't that take care of the "ties to the US" part? My two cents

Sincethe ultimate goal is for you to take over care for your brother when your parents are gone, why not just file for him and have them only come over once his papers are ready? They can stay with him the next 15 years or so without having to worry about re-entry permits. not so popular i know but given the circumstances it might be the most prudent path?

Great advice on the interchanging year by year. Will definitely consider this as an option post I-131 – we did think of a version of this where one or both parents would visit, and vice versa.

As for waiting for the brother to get his I-130 approved first – yeah, have thought of that too. That is truly our last option and is on the table. Worst case scenario, and after posting this, I think sending an I-130 for him makes sense as well.

With the current political climate, it’s not a guarantee I will be able to sponsor my parents, let alone my sister in a couple years. Hope everyone understands the urgency on my end.

35 minutes ago, Boiler said:

We can only answer questions based on the information given, the Brother situation was not mentioned so how can anybody take that factor into account?

It is certainly not unusual for new residents to need to go back to settle affairs so a few months is unlikely to be questioned, you mentioned years.

Not sure how 2 years is that relevant when the petitioning process would be much much longer.

So it seems that the focus is not for your Parents to move over, the intent of this category, but for your Brother to.

Obviously siblings take a long time and who knows how future immigration laws will change so based on current laws my first thought would be is this an issue for your Parents to move? If they have a life expectancy longer than the sibling petition then this seems overkill. If they are older/health issues that raises another can of worms.

My brother shouldn't be a factor. I'm already honestly uncomfortable that I had to divulge this much personal information online, just so that I can get constructive feedback. 

My initial question still is still tied to filing the I-131 in the two day time frame right after getting the I-551 stamp. All other details are a moot point, with details and problems I know I have to overcome when the time comes. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not see any new laws on the immigration front, I can not see with the US political system any getting agreed.

I could see the Public Charge issue being tightened up, most western countries have much tighter requirements, and obviously the current requirements have no relationship to the likely costs of someone aged or with medical issues moving to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.