lostcause

B1 rejected twice, implications and wait time for B2 (merged 3)

86 posts in this topic

Well i had the interview, explained the change in situation.

i got denied again under the same 214(b), this time them saying that they are suspecting work due to time sensitive meetings, also asked me to apply for a different category of visa.

although this question did pop up from changing 3 month to 3 week itinerary.

i explained, the VO went behind talked to someone came back, typed for 3-4 mins dont know whether he was chatting or writing remarks since there was a pause in between his typing,

my question is will it impact a tourist visa after 1-2 years in case i decide to apply in the future.

I guess after a long period i am assuming this 3 month would still be a problem till the time i work in the same organisation as they will always suspect me that i will work there.

since i believe it wasn’t anything related to the ties in home country or my travel history or my income.

Or is it better to apply only after major change like marriage etc.

i have already traveled to more than 20 countries, have a high range income in Singapore and work for a reputed company known to the US.

since it was a same category of visa i.e B1/B2, and the next time i apply after a year or 2 i would not have company invite letter but will just be going for pleasure, will it still count as no change in circumstances?

I guess for now this means that i shouldn’t be acquiring new visas for one year.

Any advice?

P.S - i have heard from others that i seem desperate, but i have a desire to travel there someday as well as other places in the world, i am just a noble traveler that could be looked upon with suspicions everywhere in the world after this incident.

Edited by lostcause

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your prior history is always a part of your record so will be considered as part of any future application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Reasonable to suppose that its importance will diminish with time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi,

i was refused a B1/B2 application twice in a months gap, my company wanted to send me for business related stuff, during which the first duration was 2.5 months the next one was 3 weeks.

VO raised this concern and suspected work, and gave me standard 214(b) letters twice.

i wanted to know how much wait time is appropriate and what other things i can improve on my profile in order to improve my chances on next application. I want to go for tourism so this time i will only think of applying B2.

Will me working in the same company create a problem since this company wanted to send me there for 2.5 months and any future applications may be considered as illegal activity again due to same company? Even after a year or 2 of denial, or maybe if i get married in those years?

Current status:

Total 6 years in singapore

1 year in the current company 5 years in the former.

Well to do salary.

travelled to 20+ countries

aged 27

indian

Single

Knowing that i might not get a visa at all is also a possible outcome, anything that seems to give me a fair chance i would be willing to work on that, can someone please help?

Also for countries such as Canada, New Zealand, UK and australia will it pose a concern when travelling for tourism given the fact that the US Visa application was for business since i had the letters.

I dont plan to reapply at least for a year or 2 so i have plenty of time to fix things

Edited by lostcause

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've requested this thread be merged with your previous one (so all pertinent full info is in one place for members to assist you better):

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

*** Thread of same topic from Op merged. Please do not make more than one thread regarding the same topic.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

11 hours ago, lostcause said:

I dont plan to reapply at least for a year or 2 so i have plenty of time to fix things

Travel some more and wait the time to re apply.

11 hours ago, lostcause said:

Also for countries such as Canada, New Zealand, UK and australia will it pose a concern when travelling for tourism given the fact that the US Visa application was for business since i had the letters.

When you are asked about visa denials always tell the truth.  My wife was rejected once each for Mexico and US before getting permanent residence visas.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I missed the question about other countries - yes, for those like the UK or Canada that ask if you have ever been refused a visa or entry anywhere, you need to answer truthfully.  I once got refused entry somewhere over a misunderstanding about whether or not a visa was needed - I declared it on my Canada eTA application- still got approved. 

• 4 months later...

Hello,

My b1/b2 tourist visa has been rejected twice in 2019, June and July respectively. I would like to know the reason for denial. Usually the US consulates do not give the reason for denial, but can I know by any chance the reason of denial? Can I file an FOIA to know the reason of denial or any other way.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your reason is likely either lack of funds or lack of ties to your home country. To expand on that they do not hold the burden of proving why you shouldn't get a visa. It is you that has to prove why you should.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You were likely denied for being unable to show strong ties to your home country to overcome the legal presumption that all applicants intend to immigrate.

Were you given anything after your denials?  Did it say 214(b)?

19 minutes ago, lostcause said:

Hello,

My b1/b2 tourist visa has been rejected twice in 2019, June and July respectively. I would like to know the reason for denial. Usually the US consulates do not give the reason for denial, but can I know by any chance the reason of denial? Can I file an FOIA to know the reason of denial or any other way.

Of course there is always a reason. The majority of B1/B2 were denied under 214(b)

Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act states that: "Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa that he is entitled to non-immigrant status" This means that most visa applicants* must convince the Consular Officer of the following:

-that he or she intends to return to his or her home country following a temporary stay in the United States,

-that his or her financial situation is such that he or she can afford the trip without having to seek unauthorized employment in the U.S.,

-that the travel is for legitimate purposes permitted by the applicant's visa category.

Applicants overcome this presumption of immigrant intent by showing that their overall circumstances, including social, family, economic and other ties to home country, will compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of a temporary visit or study. "Ties" are the various aspects of life that bind you to your home country, such as your family relationships, employment and possessions. In the case of younger applicants who may not have had an opportunity to establish such ties, U.S. law considers educational status, school grades and long-range plans in their home country before issuing a 214b. As each person's situation is different, there is no single criteria that shows compelling ties to home country.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Just checked your profile.  Why are you starting a third thread on this?  You been rejected because of 214(b).  You got 5 pages of responses in one thread.  The answer is not going to change.

You were denied because you could not show strong ties to your home country to overcome the legal presumption that all applicants intend to immigrate.  You've been given the reason for your denial.  

Edited by aaron2020

If you are unclear about the 214(b) denials, you can file a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

Don't expect much info back.

When you apply for a Visa you have to prove that you do not have immigrant intent.   

You need to wait again before applying for a US Visa.  Wait as in wait for years.  Your entire situation (circumstances) needs to change.  Get a better travel history, Get more Visa stamps in that passport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.