AI135

N-400 July 2019 Filers!!! Join here!!!

1,242 posts in this topic

My wife had her interview yesterday and she passed. She had a pending I-751 that she filed in July of 2018.

We (my wife, myself and our daughter) were called in together to the interview room. The office said that he had to take care of the I-751 before he could process the N-400.

We were both sworn in and he proceeded to ask a few basic questions. He asked for a copy of our daughters birth certificate. We had brought an original and he made a copy for us. He then asked me to wait outside with our daughter.

He went over a few questions on the N-400 application, asked a few personal questions and touched on some of the travel we had done. He asked about the name change that we requested for her.

He then conducted the reading/writing and civics test. She was done in about 15 minutes. The officer was fast and professional. She told me that he made her feel at ease, repeated question when she didn't understand. He was not intimidating and that the whole process was a good experience, all things considered.

This is what we learned since yesterday;

- Study the questions to the point that you can answer them easily under pressure. There are no surprises and/or trick questions, it's all in the study guide.

- We had submitted a letter with her application, requesting the I-751 to be adjudicated with the N-400. I don't know if it made any difference, I didn't ask. However, we never received any notification that her case was transferred or that a new office had jurisdiction over it. So, if you're applying with a pending

I-751, do yourself a favor and definitely bring your spouse/kid, and relevant paperwork; just in case it ends up being a combo interview.

- The websites are slow to catch up, the old one being more accurate. It shows that the new card is being produced and that we are waiting for the oath ceremony to be scheduled. The new website still shows the I-751 as " case was received". We received 2 emails immediately following the interview, one more today.

Last thing; the new website now shows "estimated wait time 3 months" and "estimated case completion time 2 months". We are requesting a name change which is most likely causing a slight delay.

AOS/AD,EAD

2016-06-20 AOS/AP/EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

2016-06-22 Package received

2016-07-01 check cashed

2016-07-05 NOA1 email messages received

2016-07-08 received 3 NOA1 hard copies

2016-07-15 Biometrics letter received, scheduled for July 29

2016-07-19 Biometrics completed, walk-in at Morrisville, NC office

2016-07-25 All 3 receipt numbers start showing up online

2016-08-15 I-485 status changed to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

2016-08-27 Received notices that EAD and AP are approved

2016-09-03 Received I-797 approval notices for EAD/AP in the mail

2016-09-06 Received EAD/AP combo card

2016-09-22 Interviewed Sep. 22, Green card not approved due to missing paperwork

2016-09-26 Submitted missing documentation

2016-09-28 Received text messages for I-485 "new card ordered" and "case was approved"

​2016-09-29 Went o local office to have passport stamped with I-551

2016-10-05 Green card arrived via Priority Mail (105 days)

15 hours ago, CRB said:

My wife had her interview yesterday and she passed. She had a pending I-751 that she filed in July of 2018.

We (my wife, myself and our daughter) were called in together to the interview room. The office said that he had to take care of the I-751 before he could process the N-400.

We were both sworn in and he proceeded to ask a few basic questions. He asked for a copy of our daughters birth certificate. We had brought an original and he made a copy for us. He then asked me to wait outside with our daughter.

He went over a few questions on the N-400 application, asked a few personal questions and touched on some of the travel we had done. He asked about the name change that we requested for her.

He then conducted the reading/writing and civics test. She was done in about 15 minutes. The officer was fast and professional. She told me that he made her feel at ease, repeated question when she didn't understand. He was not intimidating and that the whole process was a good experience, all things considered.

This is what we learned since yesterday;

- Study the questions to the point that you can answer them easily under pressure. There are no surprises and/or trick questions, it's all in the study guide.

- We had submitted a letter with her application, requesting the I-751 to be adjudicated with the N-400. I don't know if it made any difference, I didn't ask. However, we never received any notification that her case was transferred or that a new office had jurisdiction over it. So, if you're applying with a pending

I-751, do yourself a favor and definitely bring your spouse/kid, and relevant paperwork; just in case it ends up being a combo interview.

- The websites are slow to catch up, the old one being more accurate. It shows that the new card is being produced and that we are waiting for the oath ceremony to be scheduled. The new website still shows the I-751 as " case was received". We received 2 emails immediately following the interview, one more today.

Last thing; the new website now shows "estimated wait time 3 months" and "estimated case completion time 2 months". We are requesting a name change which is most likely causing a slight delay.

This is Really helpful, thanks for sharing the info with us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Three weeks ago, a girl I know went to her interview and they asked her if she would like to join the oath ceremony right after that. She did and was done on the same day! I had hopes it could be some new practice, but I'll have my interview tomorrow and apparently the completion time has jumped from December 2019 to January 2020. I guess she was just extremely lucky.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@D + E she is lucky, I filled in Los Angeles Jul 25th, bio July 30th (Early walk-in) 

i am still waiting for the interview schedule,  the wait game is tiring. 

@D + EAnd good luck with your interview 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Iamornext said:

@D + E she is lucky, I filled in Los Angeles Jul 25th, bio July 30th (Early walk-in) 

i am still waiting for the interview schedule,  the wait game is tiring. 

@D + EAnd good luck with your interview 

Thank you! Hope your wait for the interview date ends soon. 😉

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

For all who did your interview , do they just ask you the civics questions or there is a computer that you take a test on ?

Where the questions hard ?

Filed: IR-3 Timeline
26 minutes ago, Rose&Jorge said:

For all who did your interview , do they just ask you the civics questions or there is a computer that you take a test on ?

I don't know what you mean by "hard" but if you have completed your biometrics there is a booklet that you paid for that should have been handed to you

The questions and variety of answers are in there and you have enough time to study and understand to pass and yes you will be asked the questions

My friend applied online for N-400 as 3year rule in July 20 2019 he got interview scheduled for November 19 2019!

Wow! that is really quick

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Hi all! So i applied on July 15th. On October 4th I had my interview for my N-400 as well as I-751. The IO took me in first asked me a couple of questions for i751, then my husband went in for not even 5 minutes they came out IO said he will be approving my i751. Then he took me in for the n400 portion of my  interview asked me the civics questions, which i passed. Then he asked me to read a sentence from a tablet “Where is the white house located?” And I had to write “The white house is in Washington D.C.” he then told me he is recommending me for approval of naturalization! He said I might get tagged for the oath ceremony at the end of this month. I checked the website today it says they have scheduled my oath ceremony and mailed a letter to me but my completion date jumped from October 2019 to January 2020. We will see! I’ll keep you updated!!

2 hours ago, Rose&Jorge said:

You are handed a tablet which you will use to read from as well as write on. That comprises the English read/write comprehension part of the interview.

You are then asked up to 10 questions, all of which are in the study guide. If you answer 6 of them correctly, you are done. There are also apps you can use to study the same material from your phone/tablet. That completes the civics test part of the interview.

What else the officer the decides to ask you is on a case by case scenario and is independent of the English language and civics tests.

AOS/AD,EAD

2016-06-20 AOS/AP/EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

2016-06-22 Package received

2016-07-01 check cashed

2016-07-05 NOA1 email messages received

2016-07-08 received 3 NOA1 hard copies

2016-07-15 Biometrics letter received, scheduled for July 29

2016-07-19 Biometrics completed, walk-in at Morrisville, NC office

2016-07-25 All 3 receipt numbers start showing up online

2016-08-15 I-485 status changed to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

2016-08-27 Received notices that EAD and AP are approved

2016-09-03 Received I-797 approval notices for EAD/AP in the mail

2016-09-06 Received EAD/AP combo card

2016-09-22 Interviewed Sep. 22, Green card not approved due to missing paperwork

2016-09-26 Submitted missing documentation

2016-09-28 Received text messages for I-485 "new card ordered" and "case was approved"

​2016-09-29 Went o local office to have passport stamped with I-551

2016-10-05 Green card arrived via Priority Mail (105 days)

Timeline
2 hours ago, Stevo1979 said:

I don't know what you mean by "hard" but if you have completed your biometrics there is a booklet that you paid for that should have been handed to you

The questions and variety of answers are in there and you have enough time to study and understand to pass and yes you will be asked the questions

Hard is in difficult or tricky.

I lost the booklet, no clue where it is.

I have been going over questions using different apps on my phone. 

I was just wondering mostly if they ask you or they give you a tablet with questions. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, CRB said:

You are handed a tablet which you will use to read from as well as write on. That comprises the English read/write comprehension part of the interview.

You are then asked up to 10 questions, all of which are in the study guide. If you answer 6 of them correctly, you are done. There are also apps you can use to study the same material from your phone/tablet. That completes the civics test part of the interview.

What else the officer the decides to ask you is on a case by case scenario and is independent of the English language and civics tests.

I have been using some apps, problem is I seem to be getting a lot of repeat questions.  Hopefully I get asked most of them questions :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Rose&Jorge said:

I have been using some apps, problem is I seem to be getting a lot of repeat questions.  Hopefully I get asked most of them questions :) 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office of Citizenship/Citizenship Resource Center Site/Publications/100q.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office of Citizenship/Citizenship Resource Center Site/Publications/100q.pdf

Edited by Alimanu

K1 Visa Journey (I am the beneficiary) :dance: :dancing:

I-129F - Sent: September 16, 2015

I-129F - Received: September 17, 2015

NOA1 - E-Notification: September 22, 2015 NOA1 - Hard Copy: September 29, 2015

NOA2 - E-Notification: October 16, 2015 NOA2 - Hard Copy: October 24, 2015

NVC Received: November 3, 2015 NVC Case# Assigned; November 4, 2015

NVC Sent to Consulate: November 5, 2015

At Embassy-ready: November 9, 2015

Packet 3 received - November 20, 2015  Packet 3 sent - November 30, 2015

Medicals - December 4, 2015

Packet 4 receiver - December 17, 2015

Interview - January 20, 2016 -- Approved!!!

Visa received - January 29, 2016

POE - May 15, 2016

05/27/2016 - MARRIED!!!

AOS

05/31/2016 - AOS & EAD & AP applications mailed via USPS priority mail

06/01/2016 - Delivered to Chicago and signed for.

06/05/2016 - NOA1 Received (Electronic notices) all 3

06/06/2016 - Check of $1070 fee for AOS (I-485) was cashed

06/09/2016 - NOA1 Received (All 3 Hard copies date 06/03/2016)

06/17/2016 - Biometrics letter received (dated 06/11/2016 and appointment 06/28/2016)  06/20/2016 Biometrics done - Walked in.

07/14/2016 Case update online (RFIE i-485)

07/18/2016 RFIE Received Hard copy (Birth Certificate - Not an easy fix) PAUSED

07/21/2016 RFIE sent to NBC

07/22/2016 RFIE Received by NBC -signed

07/27/2016 RFIE Response Received

08/17/2016 Service request online...

11/30/2016 AOS Card Produced

12/05/2016 Approval Notice Received (Hard copies) Case Status for I-485 updated to "Card was mailed to me"

12/08/2016 Green Card Received

ROC - i-751

08/31/2018 - ROC i-751 applications mailed via USPS priority mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.