Howins

K1 visa validity

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all -- I've looked this up a few times and read the embassy (London) guidance, but I just want to confirm that my thinking is correct:

My understanding is that the K1 visa, once issued after your embassy interview, is valid for six months -- or until your medical expires, which again is usually six months, but could be as little as three.

After entering the US on my visa, I then have a further 90 days to get married.

Is this correct?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

11 minutes ago, Howins said:

Hi all -- I've looked this up a few times and read the embassy (London) guidance, but I just want to confirm that my thinking is correct:

My understanding is that the K1 visa, once issued after your embassy interview, is valid for six months -- or until your medical expires, which again is usually six months, but could be as little as three.

Is this correct?

Yes, it's all correct. After you get married, you have to file form I-485 (Adjustment of status) / I-131 Advanced Parole (Travel documents) / I-765 Employment Authorization. It is vital that you file the form I-485 within that 90 days because the filing of it is what will keep you in legal status. The I-131 and I-765 are free when filing together with the I-485 (you just pay the fee for the I-485). I-131/I-765 will be approved 4-10 months after filing, while the I-485 could take longer and involve another interview before it can be approved and a green card can be issued to you. 

Also, when they say "get married", they mean get the paperwork signed to be legally married. A long of people confused getting married with having a wedding. You do not have to have a wedding. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Howins said:

Is this correct?

Visa expires 6 months from date of medical since the medical is always completed prior to Visa issuance 

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline
18 minutes ago, Howins said:

Is this correct?

As other stated, yes, your visa is valid up to six months from your medical date. But I just want to clarify:

You have up to six months to TRAVEL to the US.

As posted above, once you arrive here that expiration date is moot even if you had time on it. The k1 visa expires on entry and you now have ONLY 90 days, not further. In these 90 days, you HAVE to get married.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, celie&joseph said:

You have up to the expiration date of the Visa to travel to the USA.   My wife's visa was only valid for 4 months after issuance because the medical was done two months prior to issuance 

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline
5 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

As other stated, yes, your visa is valid up to six months from your medical date. But I just want to clarify:

As posted above, once you arrive here that expiration date is moot even if you had time on it. The k1 visa expires on entry and you now have ONLY 90 days, not further. In these 90 days, you HAVE to get married.

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

You have up to the expiration date of the Visa to travel to the USA.   My wife's visa was only valid for 4 months after issuance because the medical was done two months prior to issuance 

Yeah, I made sure to say that because some people tend to believe it's from the interview date.

As other stated, yes, your visa is valid up to six months from your medical date.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Once you enter the US, your K-1 visa is voided (one time use only).  After entry, You have 90 days to marry.  You must also file for adjustment of status within those same 90 days to avoid being out of status and subject to deportation........

Note:  Filing the I-485 is not a legal status.  It does, however, grant you "authorized stay" while the I-485 is being adjudicated....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thank you so much for all your help, I don't know what I'd do without this forum. I'm so nervous about making a mistake somewhere, I'm just trying to be absolutely certain I know the process inside and out!

Assuming everything goes to plan with my medical and embassy interview, I would ideally like to emigrate in October of this year -- so I'm just trying to make sure my medical won't be scheduled too early!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Howins said:

Thank you so much for all your help, I don't know what I'd do without this forum. I'm so nervous about making a mistake somewhere, I'm just trying to be absolutely certain I know the process inside and out!

Assuming everything goes to plan with my medical and embassy interview, I would ideally like to emigrate in October of this year -- so I'm just trying to make sure my medical won't be scheduled too early!

The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.........sounds like you are doing a great job....especially the planning....😁

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Howins said:

I don't know about London, but I'm pretty sure that at most consulates/embassies you can schedule your medical after you know your interview date.

At least, that's what Anastasia did in Moscow.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

4 hours ago, Howins said:

There are appointments in July and August available to book at Knightsbridge and at the London embassy.

I plan to emigrate mid-November, so I have my medical booked for the end of July and I’m booking my  visa interview for early/mid-September (September bookings aren’t open yet). 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

There are appointments in July and August available to book at Knightsbridge and at the London embassy.

I plan to emigrate mid-November, so I have my medical booked for the end of July and I’m booking my  visa interview for early/mid-September (September bookings aren’t open yet). 

Hey, we're looking at the same sort of journey over the next few months! Do you mind if I follow your timeline?

I've booked my medical for the first week of July, and my interview for the end of July -- I was thinking I would get them done as early as possible just in case I got stuck in AP after my interview and (hopeful) approval. Do you think I should schedule my embassy interview for a later date? I'd like to move towards the end of October, and was hoping if I got it all finalised early, I could tie up all my loose ends throughout August to October to try to minimise the inevitable stress of moving my entire life to another country!

1 minute ago, Howins said:

Hey, we're looking at the same sort of journey over the next few months! Do you mind if I follow your timeline?

I've booked my medical for the first week of July, and my interview for the end of July -- I was thinking I would get them done as early as possible just in case I got stuck in AP after my interview and (hopeful) approval. Do you think I should schedule my embassy interview for a later date? I'd like to move towards the end of October, and was hoping if I got it all finalised early, I could tie up all my loose ends throughout August to October to try to minimise the inevitable stress of moving my entire life to another country!

Of course not, follow away 🙃.

No, I think the times you’ve booked for are good. I can’t have my interview until 10th September, as I’m visiting my fiancé at the end of August - get back on the 9th September, so want the interview the day after - I’ll then have 2 months and 10 days for the visa to be issued in, which will hopefully be enough time for AP. The more time you have to give for possible AP, the better - and you have plenty of time between your medical and departures date, should your flight be cancelled or anything 🙃.

Don't forget to update in the uk forum when you’ve had your medical and/or visa interview - we’re a friendly bunch in there and it’s always good to hear people’s experiences!  

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Of course not, follow away 🙃.

No, I think the times you’ve booked for are good. I can’t have my interview until 10th September, as I’m visiting my fiancé at the end of August - get back on the 9th September, so want the interview the day after - I’ll then have 2 months and 10 days for the visa to be issued in, which will hopefully be enough time for AP. The more time you have to give for possible AP, the better - and you have plenty of time between your medical and departures date, should your flight be cancelled or anything 🙃.

Don't forget to update in the uk forum when you’ve had your medical and/or visa interview - we’re a friendly bunch in there and it’s always good to hear people’s experiences!  

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.