Skye1202

Bringing a toddler to an interview

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm just wondering if I will be able to bring my mother in law with us to the US Embassy for our interviews? My son (3 yrs old) and I will be having our interview, and I'm not sure if we'll have it at the same time, since we were on a separate petition. Will they allow my mother in law to come with us? I'm kind of worried as he is really active, and I will be carrying a lot of documents, and I'll have to do the processing for everything. I think it might be hard to do with a hyper toddler. 

Note: my mother in law is not a US Citizen.

Your son doesn't have to be in the interview. Leave him outside with your mother in law.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Roel said:

Your son doesn't have to be in the interview. Leave him outside with your mother in law.

ALL visa applicants MUST attend their interview!

4 minutes ago, Skye1202 said:

Really? Even if he is a beneficiary? He's on an IR-2 visa application while I am on CR-1 visa.

No not really.    You son must attend his visa interview.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Children that are beneficiaries are required to attend the interview. A child as young as 3 will likely not be asked many questions. Mostly greeted by the CO. But the CO will certainly need to identify the child in person.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

kid has to be there. because of his age, the CO probably wont say much more than hi to him. take mom and she can babysit while you do everything else

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Roel said:

Seriously? That's kind of a retarded rule.

I remember that from my local embassy, children under 14 years old don't need to attend the interview.

Yes seriously.

Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?
A: Yes. Applicants under the age of 20 must attend their visa interview with at least one parent. If the child is an orphan, or both parents are outside the Philippines, a legal guardian must accompany the child. "

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-svc-visachild.asp

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes seriously.

Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?
A: Yes. Applicants under the age of 20 must attend their visa interview with at least one parent. If the child is an orphan, or both parents are outside the Philippines, a legal guardian must accompany the child. "

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-svc-visachild.asp

Guess that rule is different for each embassy.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Roel said:

Guess that rule is different for each embassy.

Not the only "rule" that varies by consulate 

YMMV

There were several toddlers and stressed mothers there in Manila when we were there for the interview.)) Mother in Law probably won't be allowed in.

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

You should be fine on your own.

When I attended my interview, there was this mother who is struggling with her kid and her documents. The other Filipinas gave her a helping hand by handling her binder for her, saving her line in the seat while she runs around the place, etc. People are very forgiving and helpful when kids are around.

I know it's gonna be challenging but you can strategize even before you get there: do not give the kid any sugar; give the kid a book or a toy or crayons and paper. Organize your papers so they are easy to identify and easy to be pulled out of your binder when asked. Start arranging the papers that will be initially asked so they are easily accessible to you.

Goodluck :)

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.